If you had to compare

misguy

I am working on information for new cruisers, and to help them better understand which cruisers would most enjoy a cruise line, I thought comparing it to hotel chains might be beneficial.  If you were going to compare NCL to a hotel chain, which one would you say?  If you have something better to compare it to, I would love your input as well.

I don’t think comparing a cruise line to any hotel chain would be beneficial as they have nothing in common unless you are comparing them for the sake of quality or accommodations. Telling someone that NCL is like the Holiday Inn and Carnival a Motel 8 may You can compare cruise lines may result in some bizarre confused looks. Maybe a restaurant chain where Carnival would be a hospital cafeteria and NCL might be a Chili’s .

• Like 1

That’s a tough comparison to make.  Hotels ordinarily don’t have entertainment baked in (unless it’s Vegas) and the drinks, dining and entertainment isn’t usually part of a hotel’s package.

If you’re talking about the cabins, not many hotels outside of a resort area have balconies overlooking the water.

So, aside that a cruise ship has cabins similar to hotel rooms, that’s where the comparisons begin and end.  Even there, unless you book a large suite on a cruise ship, the bathrooms in a hotel will be bigger.

Next to impossible to make that comparison.

OP, while they are similar industries, you presume that customers have personal experience with the hotels that you are using for comparisons.  If I never stayed at a Motel 8 or Holiday Inn, then I have not basis to evaluate the differences.

Perhaps cars or cuts of meat or something else that people have actually experienced.

1 hour ago, misguy said:

I am working on information for new cruisers, and to help them better understand which cruisers would most enjoy a cruise line, I thought comparing it to hotel chains might be beneficial.  If you were going to compare NCL to a hotel chain, which one would you say?  If you have something better to compare it to, I would love your input as well.

Just my two cents worth but If you are working on some kind of information sheet or package for new cruisers keep comparisons like that out of the content.  All you are doing there is muddying the waters with irrelevant and obtuse comparisons.  Stick to facts and don't bring opinions in to it.   Too many different ways that could turn.  Cruising can be confusing enough for newbies.

• Like 3

So if a new cruiser asked which cruise line would I like best, how would you answer it in an objective way.  I am a huge NCL fan and would recommend it to everyone, but some would think it to casual.  I am trying to find a way to help new cruisers be able to relate it to something they would be familiar with.  Maybe the restaurant comparison would be better.  Princess, NCL, Cunard, and Crystal are all very different, but to someone that has never cruised, what could you use to help them find the right fit.  And just so everyone know, I am not a TA, just someone that has seen cruisers disapointed because they didn't choose the cruiseline that fit their style.

19 minutes ago, misguy said:

So if a new cruiser asked which cruise line would I like best, how would you answer it in an objective way.  I am a huge NCL fan and would recommend it to everyone, but some would think it to casual.  I am trying to find a way to help new cruisers be able to relate it to something they would be familiar with.  Maybe the restaurant comparison would be better.  Princess, NCL, Cunard, and Crystal are all very different, but to someone that has never cruised, what could you use to help them find the right fit.  And just so everyone know, I am not a TA, just someone that has seen cruisers disapointed because they didn't choose the cruiseline that fit their style.

The focus needs to be turned away from what you like best or what would you do.  I would turn around the question(s) and start asking them what they like.  Food, accommodations activities, etc.

It's easier to match the customer with the cruise line, not the cruise line with the customer, if that makes sense.

I don't think there is any way to do a comparison: You can group brands together like the travel industry does, but even that is hit or miss. We are NCL supporters which is no secret but some things other lines do better. Then go the other way, Princess is considered a step above NCL but to us, and we have cruised them more than once for sure, I do not see the draw or why they are rated above the 3 mass marketed lines. How to rate is also based on what is the most important to the cruiser. NCL though I am very happy with their food, no not think it is among the better lines except for the wonderful choices. On the other hand they have among the best entertainment. The cabins are nice but the ships not as nice as say, Holland America. 

If  were to put them in a category I guess it would be Marriott. 

1 hour ago, misguy said:

So if a new cruiser asked which cruise line would I like best, how would you answer it in an objective way.  I am a huge NCL fan and would recommend it to everyone, but some would think it to casual.  I am trying to find a way to help new cruisers be able to relate it to something they would be familiar with.  Maybe the restaurant comparison would be better.  Princess, NCL, Cunard, and Crystal are all very different, but to someone that has never cruised, what could you use to help them find the right fit.  And just so everyone know, I am not a TA, just someone that has seen cruisers disappointed because they didn't choose the cruise line that fit their style.

Have them pick an itinerary they like, then find the cheapest cruise to that location. That would satisfy most cruisers. If your friends like to drink, getting a adult beverage package (on any line) greatly improves the cruise experience. 

There's plenty of "which cruise line would I prefer?" quizzes online; why reinvent the wheel?  Just make sure people go to one of those.  Or if you're looking to make money from this, borrow ideas from other quizzes but make it your own (like recipes).

At any rate there's such a huge variability among different ships for each cruise line that these general quizzes can be a bit off even within a cruise line.  Think the difference between the Pearl and the Escape, for example.  Or itinerary-wise, a western Caribbean 7-day cruise vs a TA.

At best you can make vague generalizations about a line, which may or may not be accurate for a specific ship + itinerary + time of year.

4 hours ago, misguy said:

Why not just focus on styles rather than comparisons?

1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

Why not just focus on styles rather than comparisons?

So give me an example of stype.  I am a new cruiser and not sure which line would suit my, what your style process look like?

2 minutes ago, misguy said:

So give me an example of stype.  I am a new cruiser and not sure which line would suit my, what your style process look like?

What is your work/life style? 

Do you prefer more restrictive dress codes?

Do you want a country club feel and have everything included in your cruise fare?

Do you like a vibrant night life?

Are on board activities that are more physical important to you?

What are you hoping to get out of your cruise?

Do you want to dress up in suit or dress/pantsuit/gown for dining?

Do you like Broadway style musicals for entertainment?

Are you interested in having an 'exclusive' area in which to enjoy the cruise?

Etc. etc.

• Like 2

I remember someone telling me that a Carnival cruise was a Motel 8 of the seas. I had never been on a Carnival cruise but I had been to a Motel 8 so I understood they were saying it’s pretty basic. But recently I saw a video on YouTube and this lady was in a really nice suite on a Carnival cruise and there was a hot tub on her balcony and it looked pretty fancy which makes me think that people might let their own personal preferences influence their descriptions of cruise lines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

What is your work/life style? 

Do you prefer more restrictive dress codes?

Do you want a country club feel and have everything included in your cruise fare?

Do you like a vibrant night life?

Are on board activities that are more physical important to you?

What are you hoping to get out of your cruise?

Do you want to dress up in suit or dress/pantsuit/gown for dining?

Do you like Broadway style musicals for entertainment?

Are you interested in having an 'exclusive' area in which to enjoy the cruise?

Etc. etc.

I agree with this poster that this would be a better way to start your analysis.....but I also think you need to remember that not all ships within a cruise line are the same. For example NCL Sky vs NCL Jewel vs NCL Escape or CCL Inspiration vs CCL Dream vs CCL Mardi Gras.....all very different ships in the same cruise line.

Edited by Warm Breezes
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rsavtechcruise said:

I think the OP

a) should consider becoming a TA since apparently he is trying to be one

B) I think he should tell the new cruiser to find a TA since most TA are trained in how to qualify the customers needs and wants to tailor that toward which brand and ship to steer them to

Ditto

I also think that trying to put a cruise line into a single classification can be wrong.  There are way too much variations within NCL itself.  You have 2000 passenger ships with little bells and whistles.  You have big megaliners.  And then there is the variation that time of year, destination, and length of cruise causes.  For example, my 7 day Bermuda cruise that is a non vacation week would be a much different experience than a 4 day Miami cruise in February vs an Alaskan cruise.  All the same cruise line, vastly different experiences 

• Like 2