Versatile clothes

Wayfairers

21 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

I’ve been looking at convertible dresses, tops, etc and started wondering what do I already have in my closet that can be worn in more than one way?   I’m not that creative so wondering if you guys have suggestions?

I have a couple on nice pants that I made.  the are in a pattern fabric with wide legs.  In the day time I can wear then with a solid blouse.  At night I put a fancy poncho over them.  The poncho is a black and gold weave (loose weave).  I can do this with both pants.  The outfit goes from day time (resort casual) to fancy night outfit.  I am carrying the one extra poncho, but that poncho then creates two night time outfits for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I have a couple on nice pants that I made.  the are in a pattern fabric with wide legs.  In the day time I can wear then with a solid blouse.  At night I put a fancy poncho over them.  The poncho is a black and gold weave (loose weave).  I can do this with both pants.  The outfit goes from day time (resort casual) to fancy night outfit.  I am carrying the one extra poncho, but that poncho then creates two night time outfits for me.

What a great idea! A nice variation from the pants and sparkly top that so many of us rely on for an evening outfit. 

2 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

What a great idea! A nice variation from the pants and sparkly top that so many of us rely on for an evening outfit. 

Thank you.  With my loose weave poncho, I do wear the blouse underneath it. But it works fine.  

I'd say that I usually look for clothes that I can wear for a multitude of occasions rather than just for a specific occasion.  I have shirts that I can wear with shorts, jeans, skirts, and under my suit jackets (for work).  My pant collection can suffice for travel pants or work pants (including my zipper hiking pants).  My little black T-shirt dress can do anything from a quick coverup, to walking in a town, to work and to dinner at a Forbes 3 star restaurant.  I do have some special clothes - my long blue tank dress that I bought to wear at the Hollywood Bowl last year and haven't had an occasion to wear again, my work suit jackets (I can't imagine taking them on a trip), my collection of "statement" T-shirts (I have one on today from Ron Jons, in honor of Cocoa Beach being spared from Hurricane Dorian), and my prolific hoodie collection.  

• Like 2

I always make sure anything I take on a trip can be worn with many of the pieces I take.  We are usually gone for a few months and carry 11-13 outfits and the only way to make that work without getting bored with clothes is to mix and match.  I also use clothes for multi purposes....dress is a coverup or accessorize to dress up or down...pants roll up to become capris, etc.  

I am am wondering if I am missing a different way to wear clothing I already own...such as my pashmina...could I make it work as a shirt or skirt or coverup without it looking like a pashmina.  I already have a maxi dress that I roll and fold to change the length and use it as both a dress and a skirt.  

Edited by Wayfairers

I read where you have a pashmina, but I'm wondering if you have any scarves that you may have overlooked.  Also, do you have access to information (including online) for creative uses for scarves?  I have two colorful very large silk scarves I inherited from my mother some 25 years ago, and while I hardly ever wear them at home, they are very definitely "wardrobe boosters" when I cruise.

Yes, I do have other scarves.  I usually travel with a black pashmina and a large black/white scarf.   I use these around the ship, to  look of an outfit at dinner and to cover my hair or elbows or knees (whatever needs covering that day) going into mosques.   I have a gorgeous small scarf I’ve never taken that I’m considering taking next time if I can find a way to use it with multiple outfits.    I do have access to and have recently begun watching several videos showing different ways to wear scarves....but haven’t searched for ways to wear small scarves yet. 

How do you use your scarves?

I have a long black dress I can put a t-shirt under and wear with boots if it's cool out. Wear on it's own with sneakers. Put a blouse or pretty sweater over. And easily dress up with a pair of black wedges that are my go-to nice shoes and accessories.

Big scarves are fantastic. You can knot the corners together and wear them as a light jacket over a plain dress. Add a big necklace and you're dressed up for dinner. Arrange them strategically to disguise the red wine stain from lunch. Roll them and use them as necklaces or belts. Several come along every time I travel. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:58 AM, Wayfairers said:

Yes, I do have other scarves.  I usually travel with a black pashmina and a large black/white scarf.   I use these around the ship, to  look of an outfit at dinner and to cover my hair or elbows or knees (whatever needs covering that day) going into mosques.   I have a gorgeous small scarf I’ve never taken that I’m considering taking next time if I can find a way to use it with multiple outfits.    I do have access to and have recently begun watching several videos showing different ways to wear scarves....but haven’t searched for ways to wear small scarves yet. 

How do you use your scarves?

I used to have a HUGE scarf!  Probably four feet square.  It would tie adjacent corners together and wear it kinda like a jacket, kimono, etc.  Quite glam 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, Bizmark'sMom said:

I have a long black dress I can put a t-shirt under and wear with boots if it's cool out. Wear on it's own with sneakers. Put a blouse or pretty sweater over. And easily dress up with a pair of black wedges that are my go-to nice shoes and accessories.

Big scarves are fantastic. You can knot the corners together and wear them as a light jacket over a plain dress. Add a big necklace and you're dressed up for dinner. Arrange them strategically to disguise the red wine stain from lunch. Roll them and use them as necklaces or belts. Several come along every time I travel. 

I swear I replied to you that I hadn't read your post when I did mine.  But yeah 🙂

• Like 1