If you were carnival what would you cut?

geckoaz

28 minutes ago, luvsboozecruises said:

How about cutting some officer's and have the rest do some work.. NCL makes the guys in the white outfit ( as I put it ) work, instead of hanging out in the restaurants and bars at night and God only knows what they do all day..

Maybe that is why they are last in the pack

Would love to see them cut out Shaq and Heald but I know that is just a pipe dream. 

I'd like to see them cut out the plastic ships on a stick. If they want to get serious about reducing plastic, it seems like a perfect place to start.

The last thing is also unlikely but I'd get rid of ports. More specifically, I'd add more cruises to nowhere. I think they could offer a cool product, save on fuel and be a better steward of the sea if they did this. I'm sure this has occurred to someone so there must be some reason they don't do this.

2 hours ago, luvsboozecruises said:

How about cutting some officer's and have the rest do some work.. NCL makes the guys in the white outfit ( as I put it ) work, instead of hanging out in the restaurants and bars at night and God only knows what they do all day..

You have no idea of what they do all day. I hate when people make stuff up. You don't when their shift is, what department they are in, and Captains generally don't let crew run around willy nilly

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

You have no idea of what they do all day. I hate when people make stuff up. You don't when their shift is, what department they are in, and Captains generally don't let crew run around willy nilly

In my opinion there are to many officer's on carnival ship's, compared to the other ship line's..... 

4 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

The last thing is also unlikely but I'd get rid of ports. More specifically, I'd add more cruises to nowhere. I think they could offer a cool product, save on fuel and be a better steward of the sea if they did this. I'm sure this has occurred to someone so there must be some reason they don't do this.

They don't do cruises to nowhere because they are illegal. 

2 hours ago, luvsboozecruises said:

In my opinion there are to many officer's on carnival ship's, compared to the other ship line's..... 

Could you please expand on this comment?  For example, how many officers are on Carnival ships compared to officers on ships of a similar size for NCL and RCCL?  What’s the ratio of officers to crew members on the various cruise lines?  

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Could you please expand on this comment?  For example, how many officers are on Carnival ships compared to officers on ships of a similar size for NCL and RCCL?  What’s the ratio of officers to crew members on the various cruise lines?  

I can't give you the mathematical answers to the questions above but can tell you I have been on over 50 Cruise's in my lifetime. I have done most of the lines and 30 have been with carnival. So, being able to cruise so much I pretty much know what I am talking about, I am going by what I have seen and in my opinion, carnival has to many officer's that walk around doing nothing.. this is my opinion from being on other cruise lines and I see alot less officer's on those other lines, and when I see them it seems like they are doing something other than standing around..

12 minutes ago, luvsboozecruises said:

I can't give you the mathematical answers to the questions above but can tell you I have been on over 50 Cruise's in my lifetime. I have done most of the lines and 30 have been with carnival. So, being able to cruise so much I pretty much know what I am talking about, I am going by what I have seen and in my opinion, carnival has to many officer's that walk around doing nothing.. this is my opinion from being on other cruise lines and I see alot less officer's on those other lines, and when I see them it seems like they are doing something other than standing around..

I have been on about as many and never felt that all, interesting view.  Maybe it is because there is a different view of officers and being on customer decks than we have seen on other cruise lines.  I sincerely doubt Carnival has a different proportion of officers than other lines, or even what they do, but I have no facts to either prove or disprove.  

This thread continues to prove itself as being valuable to Carnival and it appears they are closely monitoring our feedback. With Carnival’s brand ambassador referencing this thread and several of its posts every few days, this insight could even change the direction of the company in several areas.

It’s always nice to see that a company is listening.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:07 PM, lottiegreen56 said:

Can you explain to me exactly how cruising around with the engines running uses less fuel than the ship being docked at a port?

Also, while they are cruising around to nowhere, they are actually making large circular paths that would be more disrupting to oceanic wildlife patterns than the current paths they take between ports.

Additionally, while at port they can take on fresh supplies and offload garbage and waste. If they don't dock, they have to take all supplies with them at the start and then carry the refuse with them the entire trip. This not only increases the weight of the ship (thus using more fuel) but it also lends itself to more illegal dumping at sea.

I am not against the idea of a cruise to nowhere as the wife and I have often said we wouldn't mind a cruise that didn't visit any ports.
Just don't try making the claim that they would save fuel and be more eco-friendly.

8 hours ago, Chervil said:

Can you explain to me exactly how cruising around with the engines running uses less fuel than the ship being docked at a port?

Also, while they are cruising around to nowhere, they are actually making large circular paths that would be more disrupting to oceanic wildlife patterns than the current paths they take between ports.

Additionally, while at port they can take on fresh supplies and offload garbage and waste. If they don't dock, they have to take all supplies with them at the start and then carry the refuse with them the entire trip. This not only increases the weight of the ship (thus using more fuel) but it also lends itself to more illegal dumping at sea.

I am not against the idea of a cruise to nowhere as the wife and I have often said we wouldn't mind a cruise that didn't visit any ports.
Just don't try making the claim that they would save fuel and be more eco-friendly.

Can someone show me a booking for a cruise to nowhere?

On 9/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, luvsboozecruises said:

Believe me, Carnival isn't going to pay officer wages if they aren't necessary. They also get time off just like any other job and since they live on the ship, you will see them doing what you call nothing at times.

Pat

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:35 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

They don't do cruises to nowhere because they are illegal. 

Exactly.  No cruise ships from US ports are permitted to do them.  Sometimes with a special exemption they will permit a non-revenue inaugural type cruise to nowhere to move forward, but even those have been denied recently.  

As for making money, yes I think these cruises made some money for the cruise lines, but it’s a mute point now since they are not permitted.