Problem with stabilizer on the Muse

bsugar

Apparently they are altering the current (09/05) itinerary and staying in Vancouver to have it repaired. Here's some info from an email I received from Cruiser Jane -

"As you are about to join Silver Muse voyage 6924, we wanted to inform you about a necessary itinerary revision.

While navigating towards Vancouver, Silver Muse encountered a technical issue with the starboard stabilizer. As a result Silver Muse will undergo repairs before continuing with the voyage. In order to complete the repairs, Silver Muse will remain in Vancouver overnight and depart at 5:30pm on Friday, September 6, 2019. We will, unfortunately, have to cancel our call to Ketchikan, Alaska on Saturday, September 7, 2019, which will now be a day at sea. The rest of the itinerary remains unchanged.

In light of this inconvenience, as a gesture of goodwill and in the hope you will return for a future cruise with Silversea, we would like to extend a future cruise credit in the amount of 15% of your cruise fare paid minus all applicable savings. This amount is derived from the cruise fare you paid for voyage 6924 excluding land programs, travel insurance, pre and post hotel packages, airfare or any other add on items to your reservation. This cruise credit will be issued to you in the same form of currency your reservation was made and mailed to your address on file.

We are also pleased to offer you a choice of complimentary shore excursions on Friday, September 6. A collection of tour options will be available for you to choose from. Please see the Shore Concierge Desk in order to select your option.

We wish you a pleasant journey to Vancouver, Canada and look forward to welcoming you onboard Silver Muse on September 5th.

Warm regards,

MarkConroy_Signature.jpg
Mark Conroy,
Silversea's Managing Director of the Americas"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigmjh said:

Apparently they are altering the current (09/05) itinerary and staying in Vancouver to have it repaired. Here's some info from an email I received from Cruiser Jane -

"While navigating towards Vancouver, Silver Muse encountered a technical issue with the starboard stabilizer. As a result Silver Muse will undergo repairs before continuing with the voyage. In order to complete the repairs, Silver Muse will remain in Vancouver overnight and depart at 5:30pm on Friday, September 6, 2019. We will, unfortunately, have to cancel our call to Ketchikan, Alaska on Saturday, September 7, 2019, which will now be a day at sea. The rest of the itinerary remains unchanged.

Appreciate these specific details and this follow-up.  Having just been on the Silver Muse a little over a month ago, I was very surprised to hear of such a problem.  All was smooth on our sailing.  But "stuff" can happen and the "compensation" provided by Silversea seems fairly reasonable.  From our recent experiences in Alaska, if you had to miss one port, then Ketchikan would be it.  Nice port, but not as interesting as to what we enjoyed with Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.  Look forward to hearing more from those on this cruise.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 224,358 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Greetings from on board the Muse.  It’s a spectacular day in Vancouver & I’m shedding “crocodile tears” that we’re staying over.   They’ve offered several very nice comp tours...we’re doing the Foodie Tour.   Haven’t heard that they’ve encountered any problems with the repairs.   The 15% future cruise discount is more than generous in my opinion.   All is well & we’re delighted to be back!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, nowornever said:

Greetings from on board the Muse.  It’s a spectacular day in Vancouver & I’m shedding “crocodile tears” that we’re staying over.   They’ve offered several very nice comp tours...we’re doing the Foodie Tour.   Haven’t heard that they’ve encountered any problems with the repairs.   The 15% future cruise discount is more than generous in my opinion.   All is well & we’re delighted to be back!

6 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Hi Terry,  We are indeed on the Muse, and it is correct that departure was delayed by a day due to a malfunctioning stabilizer.  While DW & I, and the majority of folks on board, are fine with it I think, we have heard some complaints.  An understandable complaint was from someone who had already spent several days in Vancouver and was ready to go elsewhere.  SilverSea offered some free excursions to Vancouver and 15% credit on a future cruise as compensation to all passengers.  So, I heard myself say out loud today that I am having a great cruise and the ship hasn't even moved yet!  Maybe goofy, but a fair summary of my present status.  Living the good life.  Sailing out of Vancouver this afternoon was beautiful.  The ship is clean and very comfortable. Food is outstanding!

Great above update and details from nowornever.  Am also sharing here a message that was posted on my live/blog from another CC Board poster as to what has happened during this Silver Muse sailing.  Looking forward to hearing more and learning that all is going well on this sailing.  Good luck for great weather and experiences during the rest of this cruise in Alaska. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,284 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Not surprised.  We had a very rough sail heading towards Ketchikan in the Muse late August.  Captain said the next day that it was the roughest he'd encountered this year.  Wave heights and winds were over twice the forecast just hours before. Didn't seem like stabilizers were doing their usual job. PERHAPS something got stressed leading to needed repairs.  And perhaps not.  Stuff happens.

Makes sense to me @philw1776 , the only other thing I recall from the announcement was that divers were needed to make the repairs.  Since we are well underway & on schedule (as revised in Vancouver) I'm thinking the repairs were successful, knock on wood.  Unable to judge the stabilizer effectiveness with no frame of reference.

Approaching Prince Rupert BC sail by at this time.

11 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Makes sense to me @philw1776 , the only other thing I recall from the announcement was that divers were needed to make the repairs.  Since we are well underway & on schedule (as revised in Vancouver) I'm thinking the repairs were successful, knock on wood.  Unable to judge the stabilizer effectiveness with no frame of reference.  Approaching Prince Rupert BC sail by at this time.

Appreciate these details and follow-ups from our Virginia friend and philw1776.  Hope things continue to go well during this slightly-shortened cruise.  Keep us posted as to your sailing progress, port highlights, weather conditions, etc.  Following with interest.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,284 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923