Help me choose Southampton hotel please

megr1125

3 hours ago, Balticdream said:

Bournemouth-Southampton is an easy train journey - half an hour.  I'd recommend that over coach.

We'll have a rental car once we arrive in Southampton.  The wedding is at a golf club, north of Bournemouth,  so the car will come in handy.  We are taking coach from LHR to the Southampton; much more comfortable with 4 adults and luggage than renting a car at the airport.   I'm familiar with rail options - dropped a friend off at a rail station near Lyndhurst so she could get back to B'mouth. 

Darcy

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Mom2kmo said:

A suggestion for a hotel... Marriott Moxoy in Southampton.   It’s about 9/10 of a mile from the cruise port and will be opening later this year.  Rates are very reasonable,   

I know that Marriott has its affiionados (and loyalty scheme), but their two Southampton hotels are on the city limits, about 4 miles from the centre & not suitable for cruisers & others who don't have a car.

But this new one is right next-door to Premier Inn West Quay, between City Cruise Terminal (no more than half a mile)  and the big West Quay Mall  (only a few yards) which is the nearest point of the compact city centre.

Certainly a good location for cruisers :classic_smile:

Last time I went past it was still in the early stages of construction but they're confidently accepting bookings for 17th December onwards

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, love to cruz said:

Thank you for letting us know about the Marriott Moxoy. I just changed our reservation from the Premier Inn next door to the Marriott. Even saved a little money for a much newer hotel.  Love the advice we get through Cruise Critic.

FYI, the correct name for that hotel brand is MOXY, not Moxoy. It's somewhat geared towards millennials.  The whole concept is sort of designed for being Instagram-worthy...not sure that makes a difference....just a heads up.

Incidentally, I'm still not 100% sure where I'll stay.  I decided to skip the Premier Inn since the reviews regarding WIFI were really bad and that's important to me.  

As of now, I'll be at the Holiday Inn though I am still entertaining Room2 (appealing as I can do laundry before the cruise) and White Star Tavern but the rates just went up so that's probably not going to happen.  Other properties are over budget, which, for 1 night with me arriving around 16:00 is under 100 GBP.....well under.  😄😄

11 hours ago, TYTY said:

Thanks...and which hotel would be walkable to the terminal either the Holiday Inn or Premier Inn?

H.I. is right by the port gate, no more than 300 yards from there to City cruise terminal. Room at the front look down Southampton Water, rooms at the back look over the terminal & ship.

But also on level ground and very easily walkable are Premier Inn West Quay &  Leonardo Royal, or for something a little more quirky Ennio's (converted warehouse, effectively rooms over Italian restaurant)  and Pig-in-the-Wall  (boutique built into the city wall). They're  marginally further from City terminal, marginally closer to pubs & restaurants, shopping malls, & the city's few old-towm sights, but all of those hotels are walkable to all those places

Even for H.I.l"walkable" presumes dry weather.

The other hotels on this webpage are no worse than a £10 taxi ride to any cruise terminal.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

(thumbnail map at the bottom of the page)

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In case this is helpful to you, here are my detailed comments regarding our stay at the HI last year, with photos:

Excellent precis from Turtles.

The "Standing Order" pub (originally a bank, hence the name) is in the Wetherspoons chain. Known for offering pretty average food, hence Turtles "adequate and nothing to write home about",  but the food & drink are cheap. It's a chain we look for when in central London cos of London prices. But you can do better for sensible money in Southampton.

Holiday Inn isn't unusual in having no ice machine - I haven't stayed in any hotel or motel in the States that didn't have at least one, but I don't recall any in the UK that does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In case this is helpful to you, here are my detailed comments regarding our stay at the HI last year, with photos:

Very helpful, thanks.......

Now of course, I am thinking of staying an extra night in London to give myself some additional time there but hotel rates are quite high, bummer.  I'll keep looking. .....will probably stick with the HI.  I am Spire Elite in their frequent guest program so hopefully that will get me a nicer room

4 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Very helpful, thanks.......

Now of course, I am thinking of staying an extra night in London to give myself some additional time there but hotel rates are quite high, bummer. 

It's quite normal for hotels to hold your luggage for you when you check-out, normally without charge.

So you could spend the day in the big bad (and expensive) city, & travel down to Southampton in the evening. 90 minute to 2.5 hrs depending on your mode of transport. 

But last food orders in most Southampton pubs & restaurants are around 8.30 to 9pm, and do check latest check-in times at HI or any other hotel that you have in mind.

25 minutes ago, John Bull said:

It's quite normal for hotels to hold your luggage for you when you check-out, normally without charge.

So you could spend the day in the big bad (and expensive) city, & travel down to Southampton in the evening. 90 minute to 2.5 hrs depending on your mode of transport. 

But last food orders in most Southampton pubs & restaurants are around 8.30 to 9pm, and do check latest check-in times at HI or any other hotel that you have in mind.

See that's what I'm thinking......I'm pretty good at finding cheaper eats so that's not an issue.  And I suppose I could snag a takeaway sandwich too....

My other option (talk me out of it please??) is to hang out in London all day, stay by LHR and take the coach in the AM.

That's ridiculous, right???  I think my best bet is to have the hotel hold my bags (that's no issue, since they're holding my suitcase that I am shipping anyway, it'll arrive a couple days before me..I hope😁

Taking a later coach and then just crashing in Southampton makes more sense.  

3 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

My other option (talk me out of it please??) is to hang out in London all day, stay by LHR and take the coach in the AM.

Easy :classic_smile:

Yes, LHR hotels are cheaper than central London. About the same as Southampton, but with hotel--priced food & drink cos they have no competition.

Local sights include airplanes and acres of parking lots. 

You're splitting your trip to Southampton into two parts, costing you time and money.

There's no sensible train option from LHR to Southampton.

And altho the direct National Express coaches from central London's Victoria coach station to Southampton go via LHR, the fare from Victoria is around £5 but from LHR it's £21. (playing on the fact that airport folk have to travel & there's no rail competition, whereas they need to encourage more folk to travel out of central London & there are rail alternatives)

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

Rail fares from central London as cheap as £10 for advance ticket purchase.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Advance tickets available from about 8 weeks out - so choose a random day in December (same day-of-the-week as yours) to see those fares. But advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book - miss it & you'll have to pay full fare for the next one.

About an hour quicker than the Nat Express bus, and much more frequent at about 3 per hour.

Other than those things, stopping off at a LHR hotel is fine. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Easy :classic_smile:

Yes, LHR hotels are cheaper than central London. About the same as Southampton, but with hotel--priced food & drink cos they have no competition.

Local sights include airplanes and acres of parking lots. 

You're splitting your trip to Southampton into two parts, costing you time and money.

There's no sensible train option from LHR to Southampton.

And altho the direct National Express coaches from central London's Victoria coach station to Southampton go via LHR, the fare from Victoria is around £5 but from LHR it's £21. (playing on the fact that airport folk have to travel & there's no rail competition, whereas they need to encourage more folk to travel out of central London & there are rail alternatives)

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

Rail fares from central London as cheap as £10 for advance ticket purchase.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Advance tickets available from about 8 weeks out - so choose a random day in December (same day-of-the-week as yours) to see those fares. But advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book - miss it & you'll have to pay full fare for the next one.

About an hour quicker than the Nat Express bus, and much more frequent at about 3 per hour.

Other than those things, stopping off at a LHR hotel is fine. :classic_rolleyes:

Ok thanks!! I'll change my original NE ticket to later coach! I bought a changeable ticket!  I'll see whatever of Southampton I can in the AM and enjoy my great rate at the Holiday Inn.

On more question, about how early should I arrive for the Nat Exp coach? Would 30-45 minutes be sufficient? Enough time to use the loo and get a snack?

Thanks for all your assistance. I leave a week from Monday so I'll stop bugging everyone! 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

On more question, about how early should I arrive for the Nat Exp coach? Would 30-45 minutes be sufficient? Enough time to use the loo and get a snack?

To arrive at the coach station, ticket in-hand?

Yes, that's more than enough time.

Did you opt for choice of seats?

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

To arrive at the coach station, ticket in-hand?

Yes, that's more than enough time.

Did you opt for choice of seats?

Yes and yes. Extra leg room even!!  

They're changing my ticket now.  For some reason, even though the fare's the same, and I have a full fare, exchangeable ticket, their system cannot understand!  Gotta love twitter!!  

Thanks a bunch!!

On 10/31/2019 at 9:44 AM, megr1125 said:

FYI, the correct name for that hotel brand is MOXY, not Moxoy. It's somewhat geared towards millennials.  The whole concept is sort of designed for being Instagram-worthy...not sure that makes a difference....just a heads up.

This surely did not come off as for being very nice!  

12 hours ago, Mom2kmo said:

This surely did not come off as for being very nice!  

Sorry, but if others are looking for the hotel, having the correct name is good.  Wasn't intended to be nasty, just pointing out facts......and that brand has a specific target market. A LOT of people don't like it - they tend to be a lot more communal in design and louder than other hotels.  ALSO, they're cheaper as the brand is targeted to younger travelers with smaller budgets.

Again, wasn't trying to be mean, just letting everyone know the correct name of the brand and what it's like.  I am a Marriott stockholder and have lifetime top tier status and worked for them for many years back in the day so I guess I'm somewhat OCD about this company and their brands.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:09 PM, TYTY said:

Thanks...and which hotel would be walkable to the terminal either the Holiday Inn or Premier Inn?

We easily walked from the PI to the cruise terminal (through the HI's parking lot). The PI was way cheaper than HI, and newer. We arrived the evening of the cruise, and made a "reconnaissance" tour to see if the walking is feasible.

46 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We arrived the evening of the cruise, and made a "reconnaissance" tour to see if the walking is feasible.

Did you panic when you saw Dock Gate 8 closed & locked? :classic_wink:

That gate is only used for access to City cruise terminal (and by locals & taxis as a rat-run through the new docks from one end to the other if traffic on the main drag is log-jammed, but that's another story).

It's open throughout when there's a ship at that terminal.

58 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Did you panic when you saw Dock Gate 8 closed & locked? :classic_wink:

Actually, someone at the gate saw us "loitering" about, with an air of lost tourists wafting from us, and asked, with a pretty unintelligible accent if he can help us. We said we're on a "recce mission" -- to find out if we can walk (from PI) to the pier with our luggage and from where... He told us how to "infiltrate" the HI parking.... We all had a good laugh.