Yacht Club vs. Aurea Experience...Seeking Information

Georgia_Peaches

After many, many cruises on RCL, Celebrity, and Norwegian, we are contemplating jumping ship, so to speak to give MSC Seaside a try in March 2020.  I currently have a hold on a YC cabin as we are looking for the suite experience but just before making a deposit I decided to give the cabin categories one more look.  There are several categories to choose from and I think I have a fairly good grasp on what's included in each, but I have a few questions that my google searches haven't been able to answer...hoping CC can help...

1.  What is the concept behind Top 19 Exclusive Solarium?  Is this for Aurea guests only or YC as well?

2.  Is the solarium covered and climate controlled like on Celebrity?

3.  Do YC members have access to the spa area (sauna, ice room, steam room etc) as part of their package or do you have to purchase a pass?  The amenities description just says..."enjoy a private entrance to the spa.." but it's not clear if you have to pay additional for this.

4.  For anyone who has done both the YC and Auera experience, how do they compare?

5.  Are wifi packages available?

Thank you so much!

I've sailed both Aurea and YC so will try to help, albeit not on Seaside.

1. My understanding is only Aurea guests (or those who pay to access) can use the Top 13/17/18/19 decks. YC guests are unlikely to try to use this area, maybe to escape children?, but otherwise the YC One Pool deck is pretty much the same idea but with included pool and bar and located within the YC 'complex.'

2. There is an indoor pool area with a retractable roof if that's what you mean.

3. Yes, access included for both Aurea and YC guests to the thermal area of the spa.

4. YC wins over Aurea. Aurea gives you a separate area in the MDR for 'My Time' dining but the food is exactly the same. The YC meals are served in the dedicated restaurant and the food of higher quality. The YC drinks selection is also higher end than the drinks offered with the Aurea package. You get the butler service, slightly larger cabins, concierge, Top Sail Lounge etc. etc. with YC which you do not with Aurea.

5. I'm sure they are, but I've never bought one so can't help with the details, sorry.

Biggest question though is what is the price differential - of course the YC experience is better than the Aurea experience, but not at 'any cost.'

Edited by Captain-John

OP is considering Seaside which has some of the nicest Aurea cabins and benefits of the fleet.  The Aurea private sundeck is not covered, but there are shady areas around the private bar.  It also has a private jaccuzzi.  On Seaside there will be some YC guests passing through because it is a very nice area with often fewer kids that is right beside the YC pool deck.  Aurea has been downgraded to the Easy drink package, so it would cost an additional $27pp per day to upgrade to the Premium package which is close to the YC drinks package.  Both YC and Aurea get the thermal spa access, Aurea gets an included massage per passenger.  Both get priority em/disembarkation, YC is a bit better with a private lounge & snacks/drinks.  Seaside's YC dining room and lounge are very nice, food and overall experience is definitely a step above.  Aurea is seated in a nice area of the MDR, and from my experience gets the more competent wait staff.  Private tables are not a problem with either.  YC will be getting the internet package on bookings after this Fall, I believe?

Aurea doesn't interest me on most MSC ships, but on Seaside class I would consider it if YC prices are too high.  Otherwise on the older ships I'm fine staying in Bella or Fantastica, even on Fantasia class ships.  In my opinion on the larger, newer Seaside & Meraviglia class ships - especially during peak crowds - is when YC is the best value.  Seaside Evo and World Class ships may change that with their exceptionally large YC cabin counts.

• Thanks 1

We had an Aft wrap Aurea Suite on Seaside, having had the chance to see a YC cabin while onboard we agreed that the Aurea Suite was better. A senior member of the House keeping department also agreed that these Aurea suites were better than the YC cabins other than the RS.

Thank you all for great detail and helpful information. I think we will move forward with the YC. It is priced a little higher than Aurea but much cheaper than an entry level suite on either NCL or Celebrity. Seems like the only real out of pocket will be for WiFi and our OBC can help with that. Many thanks!

I think you made the right choice. We are NCL loyalists and sail in both Haven and balcony rooms. We tried the Seaside YC last April and loved it, so much so that we booked three more YC cruises, two on Seaside and one on the Meraviglia. We still cruise a lot on NCL but the MSC YC is a nice alternative to tha Haven.

10 hours ago, sidari said:

We had an Aft wrap Aurea Suite on Seaside, having had the chance to see a YC cabin while onboard we agreed that the Aurea Suite was better. A senior member of the House keeping department also agreed that these Aurea suites were better than the YC cabins other than the RS.

Sidari, having experienced all the experiences, what do you find appealing about experience levels where the suite/cabin is awesome but the amenity spaces are limited? I spend minimal time in the cabin if the amenity spaces are awesome. So a tiny YC “deluxe suite” is no matter when I have Top Sail etc. I understand it is a different equation for newlyweds, celebrities avoiding paparazzi, and passengers that fall ill, all of whom crave privacy. Reading about the large suites on MSC and the other cruise lines, I’m hard pressed to see the value if I’m never in the suite because the amenity spaces are so awesome. What am I missing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Sidari, having experienced all the experiences, what do you find appealing about experience levels where the suite/cabin is awesome but the amenity spaces are limited? I spend minimal time in the cabin if the amenity spaces are awesome. So a tiny YC “deluxe suite” is no matter when I have Top Sail etc. I understand it is a different equation for newlyweds, celebrities avoiding paparazzi, and passengers that fall ill, all of whom crave privacy. Reading about the large suites on MSC and the other cruise lines, I’m hard pressed to see the value if I’m never in the suite because the amenity spaces are so awesome. What am I missing?

IMHO, to secure the YC amenities it is worth it even in a YIN (YC inside) cabin. We have done both YIN and YC1 (deluxe suite), and wouldn't hesitate to go YIN again where available.....it is the YC amenities, and serenity of the enclave, which attracts! 😉 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, sidari said:

That may be, but the value of YC is not the room it is the restaurant, lounge, pool deck, service, and lack of crowds.

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you all for great detail and helpful information. I think we will move forward with the YC. It is priced a little higher than Aurea but much cheaper than an entry level suite on either NCL or Celebrity. Seems like the only real out of pocket will be for WiFi and our OBC can help with that. Many thanks!

YC is great.  Our last two Seaside had some obc and 3 Gig wifi.  Wifi beyond frustrating.  Our next trip which was booked close to last Seaside no obc or wifi.  Wasn't largely advertised until you got into a booking and see it included or not.

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

YC is great.  Our last two Seaside had some obc and 3 Gig wifi.  Wifi beyond frustrating.  Our next trip which was booked close to last Seaside no obc or wifi.  Wasn't largely advertised until you got into a booking and see it included or not.

Can you expand on the WiFi issues please?  This will be a must for us. Thank you. 

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can you expand on the WiFi issues please?  This will be a must for us. Thank you. 

We were on in March and June and just very difficult to get it to connect to devices.  Once connected, very slow speed.

• Thanks 1

We sailed in the Aurea 2-bedroom suite last spring break and loved it.  But that was under the old Aurea drink package that included gelato.  If we could have had that again, we would book the Aurea experience over and over.  But with that change, we've booked YC for the next cruise.  It will be  test for us whether service and drink package are more valuable than space.  We're a large family with the shortest being my 13yo daughter at 5'7", so space matters.

I've just returned from a great cruise in the YC onboard the sistership of the MSC Seaside, the MSC Seaview. The YC was packed with children as this is the high season in the Mediterranean. I noticed that in the Aurea which is located just aft of the YC it was much quieter and far fewer kids. The Aurea is very nice on the Seaside Class but it's not YC. But I wouldn't hesitate to sail Aurea. Here is couple a photos from the Aurea Sundeck and Bar on the MSC Seaview. It's a great place. You can also see the retractable glass roof of the solarium pool which is called jungle pool. 

IMG_20190831_121220.jpg

IMG_20190829_092655.jpg

• Like 1

NC 73 - hope you had a great cruise. I take it there is no right for YC guests to use the Aurea area to avoid children and it would have to be a separate purchase?

I think this is the case but would be good to have confirmation. Thanks.

Edited by Captain-John

36 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

NC 73 - hope you had a great cruise. I take it there is no right for YC guests to use the Aurea area to avoid children and it would have to be a separate purchase?

I think this is the case but would be good to have confirmation. Thanks.

We had a great cruise with lots of fun 😀 Great weather as well. But there was a lot of children in the YC this time of the year and it was almost impossible to take a svim in the YC pool as it was filled with kids playing.  I will not sail the YC in the Mediterranean in August anymore.  The forward One Pooldeck in the YC was quiet as the children was around the pool. The Aurea area was very quiet though. The YC passengers have access to the Aurea area and the YC drinkpackage can be used everywhere. No extra charge to use the Aurea area as long as you are in the YC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

No extra charge to use the Aurea area as long as you are in the YC. 

This is great information to know.  Thank you for posting!  I have no problem with children but as a retired educator, sometimes I do need a break from them 😉.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is great information to know.  Thank you for posting!  I have no problem with children but as a retired educator, sometimes I do need a break from them 😉.

On Seaside there is a glass door on starboard side between the YC pool and Aurea area.  It would be just to the right of the bar picture above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1