Berth'a Beach Excursion w/Patrick Watts

iluvbkk

I've searched for some information on this but came up short.  The Volunteer Point excursion offered by Patrick Watts is completely booked but he suggested Bertha's Beach as an alternative.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer an opinion as to whether that is a worthwhile option or should I just bite the bullet and pay the ship's exorbitant charge for the Volunteer Point excursion?  I will have my 14 grandson with me and I want him to have a very memorable time.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Back in 2012 we did a wildlife and battlefield tour from Stanley. Bertha’s Beach was one of the stops - it was stunning. Our group of four and our guide were the only people there plus several hundred penguins and the dolphins playing in the surf. It’s not as long, or tough a journey to Volunteer Point.

Edited by Omega1

I went to Volunteer Point in a 4x4 a couple of years ago and it was a hard, hot and bumpy drive.  I have just booked another cruise in 2021 and have just booked a helicopter ride to Volunteer Point. It is obviously a bit more expensive than going in a 4x4 but instead of over two hours driving each way it will be a twenty five minute flight. It is worth checking them out.

www.falklandshelicopterservices.com 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Bertha's Beach in March this year and enjoyed it.  There are tons of Gentoo penguins close by.  According to the map they gave us there may also be some Magellenic ones but we did not have time to go that far from where we were parked.  The setting is very nice and the drive is not bad.  Other than at the very end, you are on decent roads.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Bertha's Beach with Patrick Watts in 2015. Great day! Much better value than any of the ship excursions (we were on HAL). There were lots of gentoo penguins and also a few king penguins. Being closer to Stanley we did not have such a long or bumpy journey in the 4x4. It also gave us a little time after the trip to spend in Stanley, which has great souvenir shops!

We have not done Volunteer Point, so cannot compare, but we were very happy with the Bertha's Beach excursion.