Is this the most capable pocketable camera ever made ?

1 hour ago, ErikaSan said:

I'm not an expert, but if you want to buy such an expensive camera, I think, it is better to address experts first. By the way, there exist forums for professionals like dpreview.com. But of course, it's only my opinion. 

Thank you . We bought the camera based on their review .

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras/2

4 hours ago, ErikaSan said:

I'm not an expert, but if you want to buy such an expensive camera, I think, it is better to address experts first. By the way, there exist forums for professionals like dpreview.com. But of course, it's only my opinion. 

This forum gets the somewhat remarkable amount of traffic that it does mostly because there are a fair number of professional, semi-professional and plain ol' good photographers here that are familiar with not only current camera tech but the science of photography as well. (Yes it's an art, but the tools are pure science.) If you browse some of the "what camera?" threads, you will find that if the responder doesn't have first-hand knowledge, the questioner is often referred to DPReview or Imaging Resource reviews of the hardware in question along with advice on what to look for.  As a former long time browser and participant on the "professional" forums, I much prefer the congenial and helpful environment here over the contentious, partisan (real photographers only use _______) and often rude commentary "over there".

Dave

13 minutes ago, pierces said:

I much prefer the congenial and helpful environment here over the contentious, partisan (real photographers only use _______) and often rude commentary "over there".

I find it best to cover a range of inputs. Not only are the technical aspects important, there are also personal preferences and comfort zones. For instance, I have always loved Sony TVs. However, the 2 sony cameras I have had were always screwing up. 

One also has to decide what, if anything, the reviewer has to gain, or lose. Most "commercial" reviewers will be hard pressed to criticize product too harshly; they don't want to scare off the suppliers. 

Toward the finalizing of my camera decisions, I will always take a SD or CF card down and run prospective cameras through their paces. After analyzing the results, at home, I will make my decision. 

Edited by Curt1591

24 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

I find it best to cover a range of inputs. Not only are the technical aspects important, there are also personal preferences and comfort zones. For instance, I have always loved Sony TVs. However, the 2 sony cameras I have had were always screwing up. 

I'm on the other side of that equation. I've had extremely good fortune with my Sony cameras. My granddaughter is happily snapping away with my A6000 with 100,000 shots on the counter. Still using my A6300 without a hiccup. Had a Canon Powershot once that refused to extend the lens after nine months of easy use. Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

One also has to decide what, if anything, the reviewer has to gain, or lose. Most "commercial" reviewers will be hard pressed to criticize product too harshly; they don't want to scare off the suppliers. 

DPReview is really not dependent on the manufacturers since their income is primarily from click-through ads. They do get the cameras on loan to review but that is in the camera company's best interest since their reviews drive a lot of traffic and get the specifics of the cameras out there. Same with Imaging Resource. That is one of the main reasons I tend to recommend these two. They will point out not only camera issues that are of general concern but will indicate as to whether it's an actual issue or personal preference. Over the years I have found their assessments are a fair representation of what I experience if I use the reviewed camera.

Toward the finalizing of my camera decisions, I will always take a SD or CF card down and run prospective cameras through their paces. After analyzing the results, at home, I will make my decision. 

Nice option if:  a) You live within a hundred miles or a four hour round-trip drive of an actual camera store, b) they have the model you are interested in and c) they have a demo model and will allow you to take some random shots of the inside of their store to analyze.  🙂

Dave

29 minutes ago, pierces said:

I'm on the other side of that equation. I've had extremely good fortune with my Sony cameras. My granddaughter is happily snapping away with my A6000 with 100,000 shots on the counter. Still using my A6300 without a hiccup. Had a Canon Powershot once that refused to extend the lens after nine months of easy use. Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Any camera with a retractable lens can suffer the fatal lens error, even the RX100. The A6000 series don't have retractable lenses.

29 minutes ago, pierces said:

DPReview is really not dependent on the manufacturers since their income is primarily from click-through ads. They do get the cameras on loan to review but that is in the camera company's best interest since their reviews drive a lot of traffic and get the specifics of the cameras out there. Same with Imaging Resource. That is one of the main reasons I tend to recommend these two. They will point out not only camera issues that are of general concern but will indicate as to whether it's an actual issue or personal preference. Over the years I have found their assessments are a fair representation of what I experience if I use the reviewed camera.

I like DPReview. I always check it when looking into new equipment.

30 minutes ago, pierces said:

Nice option if:  a) You live within a hundred miles or a four hour round-trip drive of an actual camera store, b) they have the model you are interested in and c) they have a demo model and will allow you to take some random shots of the inside of their store to analyze.

I'm lucky; I do.

My goto store stocks most all brands and models. And, they let me even take cameras out of the store for more purposeful tests.

14 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Any camera with a retractable lens can suffer the fatal lens error, even the RX100. The A6000 series don't have retractable lenses.

Wait.. What? Really? 😉

Actually the A6000 does have a retractable lens on the 16-50 PZ kit zoom. I even killed one maneuvering through a turnstile at Disneyland. Had to shoot the whole day with the 55-210 zoom.

The Powershot reference was to illustrate that I had a problem with a Canon camera, not any comparison to the A6000. I don't avoid Canon because of that one instance, I've just had good experiences with Sony. To each their own.

Dave

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, amfc_lenny said:

I have the hv90 which I bought for a ta to the Caribbean was a bit disappointed in it tbh.

interesting comments on 1080 vs 4K, looking at upgrading a canon dslr at the moment and something to think about:

My main cameras are Canon

DSC01629_zpskkdoluwq.jpg

And my wife has a Sony 90 v

DSC06392_zpsikcfzuj0.jpg

My old pocket camera III was replaced by replaced by the model VII which hope to field test in 3 weeks on a cruise to the ABC's .

DSC08266_zpsgonqwrei.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nikon...Nikon...Nikon........yes, I love Nikon.

Purchased the Sony RX100 III....Sony...Sony...Sony.

Disclosure: And I hate to admit it...we recently used our Apple cell phone more than our Sony RX100...and with a selfie stick...crying 😭......nikon...sony...cell phone....at least I don't have to carry those heavy lenses...crying.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, AquariusOne said:

I have used Sony RX 100 III for quite a while now. One the best small camera I have owned. When I am not carrying my Nikon Full Frame DSLR's, I take RX 100 III. Low light 1.8 lens, 24-70mm. Love it.

I also have used the same RX 100 lll for years but I like the reach on the model VII .

On 1/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, AquariusOne said:

I have used Sony RX 100 III for quite a while now. One the best small camera I have owned. When I am not carrying my Nikon Full Frame DSLR's, I take RX 100 III. Low light 1.8 lens, 24-70mm. Love it.

I also have a Sony RX 100 lll which I bought for my work as a property surveyor. When I go travelling it’s my backup in case of problems with my main camera (Fuji X-H1) and also take it out at times when I want something inconspicuous or don’t want to carry a big one.Looked at the 100 Vll but instead spent the money on a Fuji X-T3 to go alongside my X-H1 for a two camera setup on an upcoming Antarctic expedition.

I am keeping RX RX 100 III, no need to upgrade. I have 2 Nikon Full Frame bodies, plenty of lenses from 16mm to 500mm range. Heading to Alaska (Cruise) this summer, with all that gear for outdoor shooting. BUT for inside the ship, it will be my trusted friend Sony RX 100 III

9 hours ago, AquariusOne said:

I am keeping RX RX 100 III, no need to upgrade. I have 2 Nikon Full Frame bodies, plenty of lenses from 16mm to 500mm range. Heading to Alaska (Cruise) this summer, with all that gear for outdoor shooting. BUT for inside the ship, it will be my trusted friend Sony RX 100 III

Same here . I'm keeping my Canons . We went to the Fair yesterday and the photos showed that the Mark VII couldn't keep up with the big boys .