Bora bora and papeete money

Jazzopar

There are banks close by at both locations. Typically the local smaller vendors will give a better price for local currency as when they convert they always give themselves the benefit of the exchange rate. Polynesians are not into haggling 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WisRiver said:

Can you use Euros in French Polynesia?

Yes but then again the small local vendors have their prices in XPF .... if they convert to Euro they will likely give themselves the better exchange. Remember they need to go to the bank and exchange  ... it's like a convience fee 😉

We found some smaller vendors only wanted XPF, and a couple took cash only.  Others were happy to take XPF or Euros.  We didn't see anyone with pricing in USD.

We ended up with a couple hundred US Dollars in XPF at the end of the cruise, so paid our last night at the hotel in cash, saving enough for a cab ride to the airport and some coffee while we waited for our flight. We had a couple few dollars worth of coin that we left in the collection bin for a charity.  

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

We had a couple few dollars worth of coin that we left in the collection bin for a charity.  

Wow- where did you find the collection bin for charity? My husband has a drawer full of XPF. We're going back in the spring and almost certain we'll have some left over.

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Wow- where did you find the collection bin for charity? My husband has a drawer full of XPF. We're going back in the spring and almost certain we'll have some left over.

There are a couple of them scattered around the airport.  They are large lucite containers with a slot in the top that have a sign talking about what the money will be used for--I want to think the one we put our XPF into was for less fortunate children.

21 minutes ago, ducklite said:

There are a couple of them scattered around the airport.  They are large lucite containers with a slot in the top that have a sign talking about what the money will be used for--I want to think the one we put our XPF into was for less fortunate children.

Thanks! Been through that airport a dozen times and haven't seen. But then maybe because I was crying about having to leave.

I'll be sure to look next time. Thanks so much.