Senior Discounts

Ms. Piggy 1961

14 minutes ago, Ms. Piggy 1961 said:

I’m curious if any seniors actually get a senior discount on any cruise line.  I always fill in my age and state and never get a discount.  What gives?  Why do they ask you if they don’t give you a discount?

Most cruise lines do offer this, but it is not always available on every cruise or itinerary.  We have received the 55+ a number of times, other times we have received a residency discount.  Our experience has been with RCI and Celebrity and usually it seems we get one or the other.  Can't say for other cruise lines but most of them operate in a similar manner. 

All I can suggest is to just keep entering all fields that may apply with your bookings.  But the only way to know for sure if it is applied on any given cruise is to do mock bookings both with and without the age and state options applied to see if there is a difference in price.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

47 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Our TA constantly asks HAL about senior discounts -- never got one.  And we are way over 65.

Yes, but if HAL gave a senior discount the whole ship would be discounted

***I am a big HAL fan but just saying****

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

While focused discounts may exist, they are unlikely to be very substantial.  Why would a cruise line be willing  to get less from a passenger just because he/she was from New Jersey, or was a school teacher, or was 60 years old?

It is really just a marketing gimmick (or perhaps they might think that older teachers from New Jersey are gullible enough to be conned into higher than average on board spending).

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

While focused discounts may exist, they are unlikely to be very substantial.  Why would a cruise line be willing  to get less from a passenger just because he/she was from New Jersey, or was a school teacher, or was 60 years old?

It is really just a marketing gimmick (or perhaps they might think that older teachers from New Jersey are gullible enough to be conned into higher than average on board spending).

I think it makes a lot of sense.  Suppose there's a cruise leaving Bayonne or NYC that's not filling up.  Offering a discount to residents of NY or NJ may entice cruisers who don't need to fly to the embarkation port.  A cruise during the summer would work with a teacher's schedule, and those over 60 are more likely to be retired and be able to take advantage of a last minute discounted cruise.  

Roz

4 hours ago, Roz said:

I think it makes a lot of sense.  Suppose there's a cruise leaving Bayonne or NYC that's not filling up.  Offering a discount to residents of NY or NJ may entice cruisers who don't need to fly to the embarkation port.  A cruise during the summer would work with a teacher's schedule, and those over 60 are more likely to be retired and be able to take advantage of a last minute discounted cruise.  

Roz

I would think offering a discount for people who do NOT live near the port would be more effective. Someone who has to fly, and perhaps stay at a hotel, has a higher cost to swallow;  and if a ship sailing from Bayonne has a lot of empty bunks to fill, why would they just want folks in Essex County to think about it?  I have seen more “discounts for Connecticut residents” offered on Florida sailings than on those from New York. And, in any case, when actually pursued, the discounts (if they exist at all) are very small - and usually involve ships/itineraries I would not want to pay anything for anyway.

How would your theory explain discounts offered for Tennessee residents?  I have seen those also,

Edited by navybankerteacher
Missed point

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would think offering a discount for people who do NOT live near the port would be more effective. Someone who has to fly, and perhaps stay at a hotel, has a higher cost to swallow;  and if a ship sailing from Bayonne has a lot of empty bunks to fill, why would they just want folks in Essex County to think about it?  

I honestly don't understand what you're saying, so I can't respond.  I would be more likely to book a cruise if I have more costs?  I'm not getting the logic.

30 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would think offering a discount for people who do NOT live near the port would be more effective. Someone who has to fly, and perhaps stay at a hotel, has a higher cost to swallow;  and if a ship sailing from Bayonne has a lot of empty bunks to fill, why would they just want folks in Essex County to think about it?  I have seen more “discounts for Connecticut residents” offered on Florida sailings than on those from New York. And, in any case, when actually pursued, the discounts (if they exist at all) are very small - and usually involve ships/itineraries I would not want to pay anything for anyway.

How would your theory explain discounts offered for Tennessee residents?  I have seen those also,

First of all, resident discounts do exist - we have gotten them.  Second, as you suggest they often are offered to those who are out of state from the departure port.  They also, however, are given to those within driving range.  We live 2 hours from Port Liberty in Bayonne, NJ in PA and have gotten them when sailing out of Bayonne. And in terms of value they have been several %, so while certainly not drastic, they are noticeable and worth receiving.  Ditto 55+ discounts.

3 hours ago, Roz said:

I honestly don't understand what you're saying, so I can't respond.  I would be more likely to book a cruise if I have more costs?  I'm not getting the logic.

Read it again--- don't you think that someone facing a higher total cost would be more interested in a discount?

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Read it again--- don't you think that someone facing a higher total cost would be more interested in a discount?

Not sure; isn't everyone interested in a discount?  If I was offered a discount, but airfare from TN and hotel costs still made it cost prohibitive, I wouldn't take the bait.

The reason discounts are sometimes offered to TN residents is that it's an untapped market.

Roz

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Not sure; isn't everyone interested in a discount?  If I was offered a discount, but airfare from TN and hotel costs still made it cost prohibitive, I wouldn't take the bait.

The reason discounts are sometimes offered to TN residents is that it's an untapped market.

Roz

Of course, anything which reduces the cost of something I want to buy is welcome.  The fact remains: if a cruise that costs me $1,000 does not interest me, a $100 discount is not likely to make me prefer it over a cruise that I really prefer that would cost me $1,200.

I guess I have sailed enough, and have experienced enough different lines and itineraries to make cost count much less than line, ship, or itinerary.

We've gotten both resident (PA) and senior discounts on Celebrity.  In fact, we have a senior discount on our November cruise.  When either discount is available it does not come with any perks so you always have to weigh the pros and cons of taking the discounted rate. Our sailing class provides 2 amenities that are still available with the discounted rate, but we give up the OBC and pre paid gratuities.

1 minute ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We've gotten both resident (PA) and senior discounts on Celebrity.  In fact, we have a senior discount on our November cruise.  When either discount is available it does not come with any perks so you always have to weigh the pros and cons of taking the discounted rate. Our sailing class provides 2 amenities that are still available with the discounted rate, but we give up the OBC and pre paid gratuities.

Not necessarily - if they are not included they can be added. And that is the case with any booking through Celebrity - you can add or subtract the perks.  

41 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not necessarily - if they are not included they can be added. And that is the case with any booking through Celebrity - you can add or subtract the perks.  

Agree, if your cabin does not come with amenities. Since we get the premium beverage package and free WIFI with our suite it is still cheaper to take the discounted rate and pay our own gratuities.

18 hours ago, George C said:

My next cruise on msc offered no senior but a veterans discount of ten percent , also our music charters offered 5 percent, saying this since many seniors are veterans, did not really have a choice got drafted in 1969.

MSC also offers 10% discounts for current and retired civil (federal, state and local levels) servants.  It may not be advertised in the specific itinerary/cruise description (our January 2020 cruise had no mention of it) but our TA asked - DH is a retired fed - and we received it.

• Like 2

We have only had a seniors discount once.  It was on RCI Australia.  We called their office in Sydney to book a last minute cruise.

Halfway through the booking process the agent advised us that an identical balcony cabin two doors down had come available.  It was a cabin in their seniors program.  We got a few hundred dollars each discount plus we got the gratuities for our 21 day cruise included.  We very surprised because the cabin was already significantly discounted.  Then, at the end he applied the $200 Elite cabin discount that we get when booking a balcony.

All told the net difference between booking with our NA on line TA and directly with RCI Australia was just under 35 percent.

Edited by iancal

16 hours ago, iancal said:

We have only had a seniors discount once.  It was on RCI Australia.  We called their office in Sydney to book a last minute cruise.

Halfway through the booking process the agent advised us that an identical balcony cabin two doors down had come available.  It was a cabin in their seniors program.  We got a few hundred dollars each discount plus we got the gratuities for our 21 day cruise included.  We very surprised because the cabin was already significantly discounted.  Then, at the end he applied the $200 Elite cabin discount that we get when booking a balcony.

All told the net difference between booking with our NA on line TA and directly with RCI Australia was just under 35 percent.

Interesting as when we have had either the 55+ or residency discount available with RCI it was applicable to all staterooms in all categories, not just a select few. 

Also Elite is a Celebrity loyalty level and Celebrity does not offer a balcony discount.  As you indicate that this was an RCI booking you must be referring to Diamond (which is the Elite equivalent)?  Having gratuities included is also not part of the 55+ discount - that must have been a travel agent offering as typically RCI does not usually do that either, again being a more typical Celebrity booking level perk. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind