Too Windy?

jollyjones

I notice that the Wind is currently sailing from Reykjavik to St Johns, Newfoundland (due in Mon 9th) which might bring her uncomfortably close to the remnants of Dorian - on today's forecast track she should leave him adequately to starboard so I hope that continues.

I know about being careful in the Caribbean in hurricane season but it would never have occurred to me to avoid an Icelandic itinerary!

We are currently in Halifax Nova Scotia.Dorian passed a few Kilometres west of us 3 hours ago.Although they rated it at Category 2 the wind speeds we have had here with gusts to 130 KPH would if sustained barely make it a category 1.Nothing like the hurricanes,cyclones and typhoons we have experienced in the past.

It is expected to be over Newfoundland Sunday evening but as a storm not a hurricane.

• Like 1

Have a great time, Ron and Ann!

Jolly, as you probably know, the entrance to St. John's is quite narrow and when the wind picks up the ships can't traverse the narrows to go in and out of the harbor. That happened to us once on a Transatlantic, so we sat outside the harbor for a few hours before giving up. I can't remember if it was a hurricane remnant or not.

Edited by jpalbny

From what I can see on marinetrafficlive, I think the Wind has steered a more southerly course than expected and is currently well east of Newfoundland, probably going to give St John's a miss and go on to her next port.

Hope the seas aren't too lumpy.