Enough Time To Catch Flight

DENBET30

A 10am flight starts to board at 9:30am.   Luggage cutoff depending on airline can be 45 to 60 minutes before flight time.   This week the car ride was 43 minutes.  Security at FLL wasn't bad, 10 minutes or so.  

If the stars align you can do it if you do self-assist and line up early.

If one star falls out of line you could miss your flight.  For example, if there is a strong line of thunderstorms that morning they might keep the workers off the docks until it passes and hold the ship's arrival.

How big of a risk taker are you? 

Are you okay absorbing potential fees to be moved to a later flight if it comes to that?     

10 hours ago, DENBET30 said:

If we opt for early off the Symphony in Miami and grab a cab to FLL, is this enough time to catch a 10:am flight?

When we were on the Symphony, self-assist departure began around 6:15. If you walk off early, there is lots of time to make a 10 am flight out of FLL.  Yup, you could fill a page of things that could go wrong,,, but if 10 am works best for you, go for it. 

Here's our Symphony disembarkation timeline:

5:30 Breakfast at Windjammers

6:50 Left Stateroom for the last time

7:03 Swipe off the Ship

7:09 Down the gangway, through the terminal, down stairs, through the baggage hall and at the entrance to Customs (facial recognition exit)

7:16 In a taxi to the airport 

7:30 At MIA (add time to get to FLL instead of MIA)

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

On the other end, is it okay to land at Miami at 9:45 am on embarkation day? I assume that leaves us plenty of leeway right?

You should be fine if there are no delays and your ship is leaving from PortMiami.

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Be prepared for "feedback" on the efficacy of flying in the day of the cruise.

Why, is that not what people do? I wasn't planning to come the day before and have to pay for a hotel. The ship doesn't sail till 5, I have to think landing at 9:45 am is safe. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

Why, is that not what people do? I wasn't planning to come the day before and have to pay for a hotel. The ship doesn't sail till 5, I have to think landing at 9:45 am is safe. Am I missing something?

Flights have mechanical issues, crew issues, weather issues, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

We live way up north, so our flight is long, and winter flying always has the risk of bad weather.  My in laws didn’t take our advice, and had a same day flight for their cruise.  There were delays due to bad weather, and even though they had booked the flight through the cruiseline, the ship took off without them.  They ended up missing 3 nights of the cruise and one port 😞

On 9/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, DENBET30 said:

If we opt for early off the Symphony in Miami and grab a cab to FLL, is this enough time to catch a 10:am flight?

Lines for taxis were very long, almost no wait for Uber. About $45 for Uber x and the ride is 45 + minutes. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

I almost always fly in the day of my cruise when I fly for my cruise. So far I have been lucky with that strategy, knock on wood. 

One thing that will quite often get you to the front of the taxi line is to get a porter. I’ve had some great porters who have gotten me through customs and into a taxi or to my car in world 🌎 record time ‼️ Please tip nicely if they do a good job for you.