Group Cruise Booking was Cancelled

Dlady47

I'm part of a group cruise that sets sail in a week on Princess. Several of the cruisers had their bookings cancelled last week, despite the fact that they'd paid in full for this cruise months ago and had rooms assigned, etc. The travel agent claims that it's a Princess glitch and that Princess incorrectly allocated the funds. She managed to reinstate most of the reservations (with different rooms than before), but one couple called Princess yesterday because they couldn't get any response from the travel agent and found out the cruise is now sold out. They're on a wait list. What recourse does this couple have, if any? Who can they call? Princess says it's not their fault and to call the travel agent. The travel agent remains non-responsive. They really want to go on this cruise, but at this late date, it's not looking good. Do cruise lines ever have a few rooms available for issues like this? If it was their fault, why won't they make good on the reservation somehow?

I am curious - when people paid for their cruise, did the charge on the credit card say "Princess" or did it have a travel agency name? I am going to say it probably had the travel agency name.

Looking at your past posts - I am guessing the problem is with the agency:

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Just now, Dlady47 said:

The payments were to the travel agency.

Just for future reference - all payments (even through a travel agency) should be direct to Princess or whatever cruise line. When I give my credit card to my agency, the charge comes through as Princess as Princess processes the payments (not my agent). This prevents the problem of if a travel agency goes out of business, you don't lose your money. This happened several times in the past - agencies would take money and never pay the cruise line.

The agent screwed up big time on this. I hate to say this right away but based on your previous posts and that the payments were to the travel agency (bad practice), this doesn't look good. I would steer clear of this agency big time in the future.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Agree with posting #2. Believe it's an issue with the T.A. and they have to make good.This is supported by payments to the T.A. and not directly to Princess. Our T.A. always provides our credit card number to Princess and our credit card always says the charge is from Princess cruises. I'm thinking that when the T.A. made the payments they made it for an incorrect number of passengers and cabins. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1Gizmo said:

Did they have travel insurance? Sounds like the travel agent screwed up big time.

I would contest it with the credit card company. It won't get the people on the cruise but would get their money back.

There are times when I wish people could post agency names on this board as this is one to stay away from. From the previous posts, others on this board had booked with them.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 9

That's good to know about how the charges should show up. The travel agent I normally use does do it that way. All my charges show up as the cruise line, not the TA. It's this group cruise with this other TA that's a big hot mess. I'm just sick for the couple who appear to have lost their booking.

5 minutes ago, Dlady47 said:

I'm just sick for the couple who appear to have lost their booking.

I feel sorry for them also. 

Technically, people do cancel at the last minute. I don't know how far down they are on the waitlist. I am guessing there are people from the coast of North Carolina and South Carolina who maybe cancelling.

Edited by Coral

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just for future reference - all payments (even through a travel agency) should be direct to Princess or whatever cruise line. When I give my credit card to my agency, the charge comes through as Princess as Princess processes the payments (not my agent). This prevents the problem of if a travel agency goes out of business, you don't lose your money. This happened several times in the past - agencies would take money and never pay the cruise line.

The agent screwed up big time on this. I hate to say this right away but based on your previous posts and that the payments were to the travel agency (bad practice), this doesn't look good. I would steer clear of this agency big time in the future.

Our charges have always been processed through Princess or any cruise line we have booked. Hopefully the agency has errors and omission insurance because it is obvious it is the result of agency error. NEVER deal with an agency that does not process payments directly with the cruise line.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity - how many people were booked into this group? And how many are now with out cabins? It sounds like you know one couple personally. I wonder if there are more?

Group space is definitely handled differently, especially if there are free berths involved. I had a stressful situation almost 20 years ago where the agent didn't make my final payment until a few days before the cruise. There was enough money to the cruise line via the agency, I didn't lose my cabin but it definitely made me feel uncomfortable. I never did business with her again.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Coral,

There are about 200 of us. I know there were initially 17 whose bookings were cancelled. I haven't heard that there are any others who were waitlisted, but people are afraid to speak out so I'm not sure. My friend is local to the cruise port, so I'm wondering if she was singled out by the TA since she wouldn't lose airfare.

I never got a confirmation from Princess regarding payments, but I did get a booking number from them initially. I also believe we were way overcharged for the cruise, but I can't prove it. This has certainly been a learning experience for several of us.

Edited by Dlady47

45 minutes ago, Dlady47 said:

I'm part of a group cruise that sets sail in a week on Princess. Several of the cruisers had their bookings cancelled last week, despite the fact that they'd paid in full for this cruise months ago and had rooms assigned, etc. The travel agent claims that it's a Princess glitch and that Princess incorrectly allocated the funds. She managed to reinstate most of the reservations (with different rooms than before), but one couple called Princess yesterday because they couldn't get any response from the travel agent and found out the cruise is now sold out. They're on a wait list. What recourse does this couple have, if any? Who can they call? Princess says it's not their fault and to call the travel agent. The travel agent remains non-responsive. They really want to go on this cruise, but at this late date, it's not looking good. Do cruise lines ever have a few rooms available for issues like this? If it was their fault, why won't they make good on the reservation somehow?

Did everybody do online checkin and did everybody have their printed boarding passes?  If everybody had that, then IMO it’s Princess who screwed up, if you didn’t do online checkin and have boarding passes then it would be T.A.and the group of you mistake.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mapu said:

Hopefully the agency has errors and omission insurance because it is obvious it is the result of agency error. NEVER deal with an agency that does not process payments directly with the cruise line.

Most agents would not file a claim with insurance on 1 cabin being screwed up. It would be like filing a $2000 claim with your home owners insurance. It is best to just pay out out pocket.

I asked my TA why "AC/  VAC" was on my booking confirmation once and she said booking through them gave me a better price and her a better commission over booking directly with Princess.

Thanks for posting about this.

1 hour ago, LARGIN said:

Never book with a TA that does not provide Princess with your credit card number.. 

1 hour ago, Mapu said:

NEVER deal with an agency that does not process payments directly with the cruise line.

How would you know until it was too late? Should one be looking for the deposit payment to show up as PRINCESS on their credit card activity, perhaps? Would it be a red flag if the deposit payment showed up as ABC-TRAVEL for example?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

How would you know until it was too late? Should one be looking for the deposit payment to show up as PRINCESS on their credit card activity, perhaps? Would it be a red flag if the deposit payment showed up as ABC-TRAVEL for example?

I would ask in advance when working with a new agent.

Yes - I would question if my credit card charge said "ABC-Travel". I would then instruct all charges go direct to the cruise line or I would take my booking elsewhere. It would be  a red flag for me. What if they went out of business - you would not know if they ever made payment to the cruise line.

If anything - this thread will help others in the future.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I always wondered why payments to my regular TA showed up as payments to the cruise line. I thought that was odd, now I realize what a good thing that was after dealing with this mess. 

I'm also certain I probably over-paid by about $1000-1500 for this cruise. There's no accountability as to where the money went or proof as to how much was actually paid to Princess because all the charges are to the travel agency.

Edited by Dlady47

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would ask in advance when working with a new agent.

Yes - I would question if my credit card charge said "ABC-Travel". I would then instruct all charges go direct to the cruise line or I would take my booking elsewhere. It would be  a red flag for me. What if they went out of business - you would not know if they ever made payment to the cruise line.

If anything - this thread will help others in the future.

Thank you. I don't normally use a TA, but have always assumed in the past that they would make payments on my behalf and I would pay them.

Seems like an obvious problem when you think about it for a bit...

I would find out how many people in the group this happen to.  Get together and one person call Princess having all the booking numbers.  Speak to a supervisor.  First find out if full payment was made to the cruise line. If so , then Princess has to get you all cabins.  This can be done by offering other PAX move over offers if ship is booked.  If final payment was not made, then it is your TA fault.  See if Princess will help you work with the TA.

If, possible get the whole group to go to the TA office and get is straighten out.  

• Like 1