No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

I am on the Jewel now and there was no Thursday Night football.  Is this happening on all ships.   We are in Alaska cruising American ports and cannot get American football. What is going on.  Seem to remember watching football last season on this ship. 

3 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

Did you see if it was on in o`sheehans? That where I have always been able to catch a game. But believe me as a Bears fan it wasn't worth watching 🙄

No game no where.   Talked to guest relations and they said no go. 

I think NCL subscribes to the sport 24 channel. They get whatever is being broadcast there. The same with NHL playoffs. I was on the gem out of Boston during the Stanley cup playoffs last year. They didn't get the hockey game and lots of angry passengers. It was asked if the general manager during the q and a and he honestly said it was too expensive for NCL to purchase the rights to broadcast the game.

• Like 1

We just got off the Joy. There were a lot of Sri Lankans, Kiwi's, Australians, Pom's, Indians, Pakistani's, West Indians, Afghani's, Bangladeshi's, Zimbabweans, Irishmen, South Africans, and Jamaicans on board, and we didn't get a single game of Cricket. 

So, I sat on my balcony and watched the whales and dolphins go past instead.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, you’re not in Kansas any longer Toto. You’re on a ship, flagged in the Bahamas, catering to an international clientele fleet wide. You get your basic news channels and a European sports channel. 

So you are saying that all NCL ships do not carry NFL games

15 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

We just got off the Joy. There were a lot of Sri Lankans, Kiwi's, Australians, Pom's, Indians, Pakistani's, West Indians, Afghani's, Bangladeshi's, Zimbabweans, Irishmen, South Africans, and Jamaicans on board, and we didn't get a single game of Cricket. 

So, I sat on my balcony and watched the whales and dolphins go past instead.

You did this for three hours.   You are very lucky 

15 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

So you are saying that all NCL ships do not carry NFL games

Don't listen to that.   Like someone said earlier it probably just wasn't shown because it was on NBC.  Unless things have changed lately you will see NFL games as scheduled tomorrow (Sunday).

17 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

There is a Test match on between Australia and England at the moment that goes on for five days. It takes some real dedication to sit through one of those. And a lot of beer.

It's The Ashes which is being contested between England and Australia, a Test series. Currently they are playing the forth test with the fifth scheduled to begin next week.

The main sports channel carried on NCL ships is Sport-24. The channel provides live sporting events to aircraft and cruise ships. I see the aircraft feed will show the Titans vs Browns and Cowboys vs Giants games tomorrow, but the ship feed is dominated by soccer. NCL ships do carry NFL games on more networks than Sport-24 but perhaps those feeds are not available to the Jewel that far north, or for some other odd reason.

I've never been able to quite figure out the availability of NFL on Norwegian.  A few years back when we boarded in Seattle on a Sunday husband wanted to catch the Seahawks on TV somewhere. We could see the stadium from the room, but none of the ship's bars could tune anything but soccer. Even the cruise director tried. Their satellite feed is definitely international and not just US focused. Later on they did have a different NFL game though. 

5 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

There's more to life than football....

Three hours a day on a cruise ship to watch a game where is no home advantage.  People bonding over a game.  And then back to cruising, eating, observing and also drinking.  Yes there is more life to football but on a cruise ship it is special.  Just like Las Vegas. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I really hope this was just for that one night.  I'm on an 11 night cruise in January, and it will cover two Sundays during the playoffs.  I was expecting to be able to see all the games since playoff games don't overlap

I wouldn’t count on it..