No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

5 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Then how can you explain why most ships in the fleet get the game but now the Jewel.  This was corporate decision and Del Rio had to approve it.   The Jewel is now worthy to carry football because of demographics. So therefore no NFL viewing contract for the Jewel.   He knows what the passengers will put up with.    Remember he is the one that approved no more lobster,  shrimp cocktails, pork spring rolls in the dining room because of bottom line.   He believes that the customer will understand. Now it is football.  Be ready for all ships.

Do we have a reason to believe Del Rio personally approved this?  That's different than people one or two layers below him in the organization made a decision and he didn't intervene.  Of course, his desire for cost containment likely gave those folks an incentive to make such changes.  Still, that is not unique to NCL or cruise lines.

As you said, NCL management knows what the passengers will put up with and are constantly looking at ways to use that information.  If you read the boards of various RCI and CCL brands, you'll see complaints about them doing the same thing.  It is how business is done, and you have three options: live with it, find an alternative (like streaming), or take your business elsewhere.  Letting people online know whats going on for their travel plans is valuable information; relentlessly venting about it doesn't help anyone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

Do we have a reason to believe Del Rio personally approved this?  That's different than people one or two layers below him in the organization made a decision and he didn't intervene.  Of course, his desire for cost containment likely gave those folks an incentive to make such changes.  Still, that is not unique to NCL or cruise lines.

As you said, NCL management knows what the passengers will put up with and are constantly looking at ways to use that information.  If you read the boards of various RCI and CCL brands, you'll see complaints about them doing the same thing.  It is how business is done, and you have three options: live with it, find an alternative (like streaming), or take your business elsewhere.  Letting people online know whats going on for their travel plans is valuable information; relentlessly venting about it doesn't help anyone.

Also Elite on Princess, Celebrity, and 4 star Holland America.  I just like cruising.  So once again you are wrong. 

18 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Also Elite on Princess, Celebrity, and 4 star Holland America.  I just like cruising.  So once again you are wrong. 

In what way does your status make me wrong?  If your intent is to say you haven't seen cost cutting there, that merely means they haven't cut something important to you!  There are plenty of other cruisers frustrated by cutbacks at virtually every non-premium line.

And how can it be once again when this is my first reply to your thread?

Edited by AL3XCruise

On 9/7/2019 at 6:31 PM, jskinsd said:

Three hours a day on a cruise ship to watch a game where is no home advantage.  People bonding over a game.  And then back to cruising, eating, observing and also drinking.  Yes there is more life to football but on a cruise ship it is special.  Just like Las Vegas. 

One of my best cruising memories is being on the Breakaway last November and watching the Monday night game out on The Waterfront outside of Shakers.   A bit of a chill in the air, football on the tv while in comfy chair, easy access to beverages - all while listening to the waves in the Gulf!

It truly didn't suck!

• Like 1

I spread my business everywhere.  And I am a stockholder and since I am technically and owner i feel I have the right to vent my frustration on this web site.  Costs cutting I understand,   but also with half of the onboard credits that most stockholder are given because I book last minute with no supplement.  Another penny pinching way. 

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Holy Cow where did you get that crazy idea?I was on the Dawn this past Feb, the Dawn again last spring, the Breakaway twice in the past couple of years, the Epic 3 years ago, the Pearl 2 years ago and the Jewel in 2016. Most of those ships I have led the M&G 

From your profile at the bottom of your posts.

5 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

From your profile at the bottom of your posts.

did it occur to you some of us, don't keep our profile up to date? If you have been reading CC for long you would be able to figure that out.. And you have been a CC member for quite some time: can we say, 13 years? 

7 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

In what way does your status make me wrong?  If your intent is to say you haven't seen cost cutting there, that merely means they haven't cut something important to you!  There are plenty of other cruisers frustrated by cutbacks at virtually every non-premium line.

And how can it be once again when this is my first reply to your thread?

There are always certain posters that have to be right, whether they are or not!! Yes most lines, especially the mass marketed ones see posts all the time where people are unhappy with cut backs. Isn't this pretty much the way the world works? I want what I what, when I want it and how I want it. . 

We need Chengkp75 to respond to the Bat-Signal here.  I think this is a legitimate technical/business question.  We know a few facts.  One is that the NFL is very fussy about their paid broadcast rights.  There is no free lunch.  The second is technical- is there a live feed available to a ship at sea?   And on any sea?  I saw a number online in the US it cost $2000 for a small bar and $120,000 for a hotel to get NFL games via satellite annually.   If I was NCL and it was possible to get a live feed, I would put it (if possible) in a sports bar aboard and not spend $1m for the whole fleet for every room TV since my ships already sail full.    And the idea that they want you to use the ship's Internet is not right- personal live video streaming uses a lot of scarce and expensive bandwidth- 200-700MB per hour per person or more.     

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 12:26 AM, jskinsd said:

You are the perfect cruise passenger for Del Rio.   You understand that the guest will just go with the changes.  Bottom line and changes is more important than customer service.  Loyalty means nothing.  Look at the Latitudes program.   Platinum Plus extra bottle of water.  Yeah 

An intelligent traveller will go with the company that gives them the best service for their money. If a company is not giving you the customer service you want, why waste money with the company?

I'm suggesting that if you feel that NCL isn't giving you good customer service then you should try a different cruise line. 

I don't care about loyalty. Loyalty programs are designed to make the customer FEEL as if they are important. If you are sticking with NCL just because of the loyalty program then clearly they have done their job at convincing you that you are important.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

An intelligent traveller will go with the company that gives them the best service for their money. If a company is not giving you the customer service you want, why waste money with the company?

I'm suggesting that if you feel that NCL isn't giving you good customer service then you should try a different cruise line. 

I don't care about loyalty. Loyalty programs are designed to make the customer FEEL as if they are important. If you are sticking with NCL just because of the loyalty program then clearly they have done their job at convincing you that you are important.

As an intelligent cruiser I have been able to cruise solo for eight weeks in alaska for less than $3000 this season.   Cruise Next program is great.   No other cruise company does this that I am aware of.   NCL is a wonderful company.  I am a stockholder.  I just do not agree with some of the corporate decisions being made lately.   I probably fall into the same category that Del Rio knows what will happen.  The customer will understand. And they will keep taking a little bit away evey little bit of time.  Someone needs to take a stand every now and then.  And when I do get home I will get football but not cruisers of the Jewel.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Damn!!!  Much respect for doing so ... that's less than $54 a day!!  

I have the paperwork and the cruise next program and last minute booking helps.   There are many of us out there as I have met you.  We know how to cruise at a very reasonable rate.   Looking for my next. 

On 9/10/2019 at 5:39 AM, ew101 said:

We need Chengkp75 to respond to the Bat-Signal here.  I think this is a legitimate technical/business question.  We know a few facts.  One is that the NFL is very fussy about their paid broadcast rights.  There is no free lunch.  The second is technical- is there a live feed available to a ship at sea?   And on any sea?  I saw a number online in the US it cost $2000 for a small bar and $120,000 for a hotel to get NFL games via satellite annually.   If I was NCL and it was possible to get a live feed, I would put it (if possible) in a sports bar aboard and not spend $1m for the whole fleet for every room TV since my ships already sail full.    And the idea that they want you to use the ship's Internet is not right- personal live video streaming uses a lot of scarce and expensive bandwidth- 200-700MB per hour per person or more.     

They advertise that you can stream video with their upgraded package. I am going to be asking for a refund if it doesn't work when I try to stream the Seahawks in early October. 

11 hours ago, jskinsd said:

If you have ever cruised the Jewel or the Sun the last five years. 

Jeff, 

It was great to sail with you last year. Hopefully, you will be on the Jewel at the same time as us in June next year. We had some great conversations at the Great Outdoors! heading out on the Bliss in 10 days! Catch you later.

Matthew

8 hours ago, shadowmeboy said:

Jeff, 

It was great to sail with you last year. Hopefully, you will be on the Jewel at the same time as us in June next year. We had some great conversations at the Great Outdoors! heading out on the Bliss in 10 days! Catch you later.

Matthew

Hey Matthew.  Been following your journeys. I like your style.  Just disappointed no football.  On the third week of a B2B B2B.  Looking forward to sailing with you again. 

Jeff

3 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Hey Matthew.  Been following your journeys. I like your style.  Just disappointed no football.  On the third week of a B2B B2B.  Looking forward to sailing with you again. 

Jeff

Jeff,

totally understandable! That is awesome! Glad you got to sail so much this year!

1 hour ago, shadowmeboy said:

Jeff,

totally understandable! That is awesome! Glad you got to sail so much this year!

Did the Bliss last January in the Panama Canal.  The Bliss is a lot of ship.   Good restaurants on deck 8.  Enjoy your cruise. 

49 minutes ago, superdee3990 said:

Won't bother me none as I cancelled my NFL package when the players quit standing for the flags and the powners of KC and Washington elected to keep their racist names. 

Maybe with the money you saved you can take a cruise.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, superdee3990 said:

Won't bother me none as I cancelled my NFL package when the players quit standing for the flags and the powners of KC and Washington elected to keep their racist names. 

We cancelled our package because the prices got to high: Studies have shown the Native Americans over and over do not object to either name. But that has nothing to do with cruising anyway.