No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

On 9/15/2019 at 2:20 AM, newmexicoNita said:

I was responding to the poster who brought up the topic of pro football teams names, and had you been reading the post you would know this. Instead you are choosing, it appears,to read only posters that you can ague with. OH WELL your choice,

As for anyone who is sailing their first or 20th time and choosing a ship based on what is on TV well that is their choice, but I doubt one in 100 or more do this. There is not a more dedicated sports fan than me unless it is my hubby. We still can live for 7 days without football. Heck we survived 2 weeks in Europe without sports . 

Yes anyone booking a cruise for football is dumb.  I book a cruise for Alaska.  Starting my forth consecutive week on the Jewel but will miss the first three weeks of football because of a policy change.  No a positive note I had my best Glacier Bay experience last Saturday.  Saw humpbacks, sea otters, dolphins,  eagles, mountain goats,  a bear and the Maggiore Glacier was as pretty as ever.   But yesterday, week two of the NFL was again a no go on the Jewel.  I met about 30 none CC people and 1st time NCL cruisers on this ship this week and.  All booked a cruise to Alaska but expected the NFL on Sunday because or there past cruising experiences. Let us just say that football didn't spoil there cruise but they will not sail NCL again because of thus policy change.   Oh well, I guess I will stay on this  ship another week and welcome new NCL cruisers who watched football last week but will not on there Jewel cruise.  There are a lot of us knuckle heads who like to cruise and watch football for 3 hours on a sea day and bond with other NFL fanatics.  Why do you always see cruisers wear NFL gear on a cruise ship?  Because they are proud of their team no matter how good of a season their team having.   Newmexiconita, you are obviously not one of us.  

2 hours ago, cruiserssandr said:

We have had Patriots games on our repositioning cruise out of Boston.  They showed them on the big screen. Could watch from atrium or O'Sheehans.

You just happen to be on a ship that NCL thinks there are football watchers.  But not on the Jewel.  We cruisers are not good enough.  Watch out next season.  Which ship will be the next unlucky one. 

21 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Yes anyone booking a cruise for football is dumb.  I book a cruise for Alaska.  Starting my forth consecutive week on the Jewel but will miss the first three weeks of football because of a policy change.  No a positive note I had my best Glacier Bay experience last Saturday.  Saw humpbacks, sea otters, dolphins,  eagles, mountain goats,  a bear and the Maggiore Glacier was as pretty as ever.   But yesterday, week two of the NFL was again a no go on the Jewel.  I met about 30 none CC people and 1st time NCL cruisers on this ship this week and.  All booked a cruise to Alaska but expected the NFL on Sunday because or there past cruising experiences. Let us just say that football didn't spoil there cruise but they will not sail NCL again because of thus policy change.   Oh well, I guess I will stay on this  ship another week and welcome new NCL cruisers who watched football last week but will not on there Jewel cruise.  There are a lot of us knuckle heads who like to cruise and watch football for 3 hours on a sea day and bond with other NFL fanatics.  Why do you always see cruisers wear NFL gear on a cruise ship?  Because they are proud of their team no matter how good of a season their team having.   Newmexiconita, you are obviously not one of us.  

Guess what? I too wear my team logo clothes, I too love my football, I too was shocked when we were coming across the ocean in 2006 and there was no football. I was also shocked on an HAL ship when there was no football but the fact still remains, very few would not take a cruise on a ship because they would miss a few football games. Oh and btw our favorite NFL team sucks this year and we know it.  still wear my Redskins shirt and jewelry every Sun and sometimes mid week and I live in Cowboy territory. But I think it is time to stop this back and forth  so guess I will not chime in anymore. 

UK based 'skins fan here (since 1981) and I agree the 'skins suck this year, again. So you're not missing anything exciting.

I don't think the variety and choice of sport shown on any NCL ship is that great. I can't remember seeing any baseball (I'm a huge Yankees fan too) and the chances of seeing my favourite football (soccer) team is nil as they are not one of the elite European teams.

In the end I just remind myself that I'm on a cruise and that I can still see games etc. when I'm not cruising, I suppose it helps when my other teams play more than 16 games in a season.

I finally get to go home on Monday.   Will miss again  Thursday and Sunday NFL football.  But its Ok.   Just spent a month on the fabulous Norwegian Jewel.  Will be able to watch anything I want later.  Just sad that all future Jewel cruisers will not see football because corporate didn't think demographics fit the ship.   Although  other NCL ships all over the world will get the NFL but not one cruising in American territories.  Sorry folks.  Enjoy your future cruise.

Edited by jskinsd
Word added

Now about the reason I spend so much time in Alaska.  After seven prior trips to Hubbard Glacier this season with little action,  number eight was very special.   Saw many  major cavings.  Starboard side got  it but when the Captain turned to the port side the glacier was silent  again.   Buy that wasn't the best part.   While approaching the glacier there was a moose spotted.   I was one of the lucky ones who not only saw the moose but got pictures.  Been to Hubbard Glacier the last seven years and this was my first and only moose I have seen in this area.   And another highlight.  Leaving Glacier Bay last Saturday,  at least three Orca pods were spotted.   And one was playful enough as to jump completely out of the water. And even without the NFL this month has been very special. 

Update. Seahawks 2-0..all that matters. Lol.

Was on a one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver during the season. NO football. About 50% of the ship was gathered in groups watching the game on tablets. (We were still in port). It was a BIG deal. We are season ticket holders but still cruise during the season. Most of the time it is during away games. If we miss a home game, then the sale of our tickets about pay for the cruise. Makes missing the game easier.

• Like 1

On the JEWEL at this post - TV reception spotty - intermetinent breaks screen freezing - - -

Not going to get Xfinity - can't tow enough cable around - kinda direct TV and dishy washy

satellite would not help here - same programing repeating every hour.  Only things working

are the bow camera and in house movies. We are out here in the fringe elements sailing

between Icy Strait Point and Juneau - and oh it is not a football night to be concerned about !

Not sure what NFL is-I'm assuming it's the local US football games. I have seen these games played on the TVs in O Sheehans bar when I have been on the Jewel over the last two years and earlier this year, mainly in Aus/NZ/Asian and Transpacific waters. Maybe reception in Alaska in certain areas is difficult. Try being Australian-we usually miss out completely. I guess most of us feel the sacrifices of missing our favourite TV shows/sport are all worth the joy of being on holiday and cruising! 

7 hours ago, karoo said:

Not sure what NFL is-I'm assuming it's the local US football games. I have seen these games played on the TVs in O Sheehans bar when I have been on the Jewel over the last two years and earlier this year, mainly in Aus/NZ/Asian and Transpacific waters. Maybe reception in Alaska in certain areas is difficult. Try being Australian-we usually miss out completely. I guess most of us feel the sacrifices of missing our favourite TV shows/sport are all worth the joy of being on holiday and cruising! 

I am not like the most of you.   I cruise three to four months a year.   I go home to have a vacation.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:04 AM, newmexicoNita said:

We cancelled our package because the prices got to high: Studies have shown the Native Americans over and over do not object to either name. But that has nothing to do with cruising anyway. 

Try watching the Documentary More Than A Word. Redskins is the same to a Native American as the N Word to an African American. I am taking First Nations Studies at University of Western Ontario and consensus there among First Nations students would be 95% against as it is a very racist name. Chiefs and Indians not so much.

8 hours ago, superdee3990 said:

Try watching the Documentary More Than A Word. Redskins is the same to a Native American as the N Word to an African American. I am taking First Nations Studies at University of Western Ontario and consensus there among First Nations students would be 95% against as it is a very racist name. Chiefs and Indians not so much.

Well regardless of what studies you are taking and where: studies have been done and more than one that indicates most native Americans do not object to the name. That is what I am going on. Of course studying in another country you may be learning something different.  

Now I think at least for me, we are getting way of topic. So think I will do onto something else, more related to cruising. 

I got word from high placed sources that the NFL package was not purchased for the Jewel because most of the NFL season will be spent in the Australia market where NCL assumes interest will be low.  NCL didn't feel it was worth spending the money when most of the passengers will not care to watch American football.

17 hours ago, Love my butler said:

I got word from high placed sources that the NFL package was not purchased for the Jewel because most of the NFL season will be spent in the Australia market where NCL assumes interest will be low.  NCL didn't feel it was worth spending the money when most of the passengers will not care to watch American football.

tat does make good sense.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Love my butler said:

16 NCL ships sail next month.  All over the world.  Just curious, how many other NCL ship are receiving the signal.  Maybe your high placed source can explain why they get it and the Jewel didn't fit the future passenger demographics. 

4 hours ago, jskinsd said:

16 NCL ships sail next month.  All over the world.  Just curious, how many other NCL ship are receiving the signal.  Maybe your high placed source can explain why they get it and the Jewel didn't fit the future passenger demographics. 

Easy Jeff, don't bite the messenger.  I would think you could post a general thread here asking passengers on the other 15 ships if they get NFL games.  I am just passing the info along.  Don't really care.  I am acutely aware of how cheap NCL can be.

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Easy Jeff, don't bite the messenger.  I would think you could post a general thread here asking passengers on the other 15 ships if they get NFL games.  I am just passing the info along.  Don't really care.  I am acutely aware of how cheap NCL can be.

I knew this way back.  See thread #38.  You mentioned knowing people in high places.  I though you would be able to get the answer.  Sorry my bad. 

CC is a of little help with your crusade for American sports - the JEWEL will be sailing off to the South Pacific

and Australia/New Zealand shortly for a cruise season down-under where that other sport of football is of more

importance (Soccer). Forget the World Series coming up and the Super Bowl college bowl games etc.

Will be luck to get the scores over long wave oceanic telegraph Morse code LOL !

Your Don Quixote quest is mute here

Water over the Dam

CC is not your ombudsman for fighting your windmill obsession about (American) football and sports and

there are other ships to sail with the features in the same Alaska cruise areas.

You maybe want to consider the BLISS or JOY as options.

OK, just read all 7 pages of this thread and really, people seem to like to talk just to hear  themselves and really don't know much about it.

Like my handle, I am a huge NFL football fan (sorry to say, at this point, a Giants fan). I was on that cruise that the OP was on, opening of the NFL season and NO football. I really thought that Dallas/Giants would be on, but again, no NFL at all.

And to think that the Jewel is being singled out is utterly ridiculous. WHY, because I asked the Captain at that meet the Captain thing that they have. He spoke maybe 6 words of English and referred the question to the cruise director and his explanation made sense. The Jewel is going to be based in Australia and they just did not see the need to pick up the NFL package. He said, you cannot pick up part of it, you have to buy the entire season, and they just figured that there wouldn't be a huge call for the NFL from Australians. Personally, I wasn't happy about this, but I do understand. You can argue all you want about cost, who makes this decision, whatever, but that is the exact reason the Jewel will no t have any NFL games this year and other ships will. It is on a ship by ship basis and they must figure who the passengers are going to be when they decide what is to be shown.

Cheers

Len

8 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

OK, just read all 7 pages of this thread and really, people seem to like to talk just to hear  themselves and really don't know much about it.

Like my handle, I am a huge NFL football fan (sorry to say, at this point, a Giants fan). I was on that cruise that the OP was on, opening of the NFL season and NO football. I really thought that Dallas/Giants would be on, but again, no NFL at all.

And to think that the Jewel is being singled out is utterly ridiculous. WHY, because I asked the Captain at that meet the Captain thing that they have. He spoke maybe 6 words of English and referred the question to the cruise director and his explanation made sense. The Jewel is going to be based in Australia and they just did not see the need to pick up the NFL package. He said, you cannot pick up part of it, you have to buy the entire season, and they just figured that there wouldn't be a huge call for the NFL from Australians. Personally, I wasn't happy about this, but I do understand. You can argue all you want about cost, who makes this decision, whatever, but that is the exact reason the Jewel will no t have any NFL games this year and other ships will. It is on a ship by ship basis and they must figure who the passengers are going to be when they decide what is to be shown.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len; good post, makes sense, whether some like it or not. This has nothing to do with how cheap NCL  is, it has more to do with good business sense.  

When the Cubs finally won the World Series in 2016 we were on the Gem b2b out of San Juan, had to listen to game 7 on a radio in a bar.  Gem had been based out of NYC, and baseball is quite popular in Latin America.  This time it was the money.