What Regent cruisers may want to know about Crystal

Travelcat2

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The issue was the people dining in the buffet in shorts and jeans.  Unlike Regent that has an outside dining venue (pool deck) where you can dress in this way, you cannot walk around the ship or go to lounges unless you change.  Because of this, on our two Oceania cruises, we saw shorts and jeans (even overalls that looked like they belonged in a farm environment) all around the ship after dinner.  Such a sloppy look for such a lovely ship (we were on Riviera).   While "Elegant Casual" is fine, sloppy jeans and shorts at night seemed to bring down the cruise line quite a bit.  

To be honest, I really haven’t noticed this.  The R type ships are pretty small and perhaps a different vibe.  It’s entirely possible it just passed me by, if it occurred.  We have a nice dinner and very rarely go to a show or sit in a bar or lounge.

I’m usually just too tired and ready to read and sleep.  I’m not looking for badly dressed people around me. But I’m often a bit oblivious.

Having once taken a work related cruise on Disney, the dress was certainly varied and sometimes hilarious.   

Im happy to be on vacation and pretty much ok, drunken rude obnoxious people are the exception.  

Have you watched the 4 part UK series on Explorer?  People seemed a little daunting in quite elegant dress even in the daytime.  One lovely lady had such a low cut top I was fearful for a wardrobe malfunction! 😄

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, judi666 said:

To be honest, I really haven’t noticed this.  The R type ships are pretty small and perhaps a different vibe.  It’s entirely possible it just passed me by, if it occurred.  We have a nice dinner and very rarely go to a show or sit in a bar or lounge.

People do wear  jeans/shorts in the  Terrace on the R ships  that is allowed

Have not seen overalls on any of our O cruises  maybe an anomaly for  TC sailing  😉

• Like 1

I agree it shouldn't make any difference at all where you are cruising, people should have the courtesy of dressing appropriately for the evening.  It shouldn't make a difference what others are wearing(the crew should handle that), but what should matter is what you are wearing.  Should someone not want to dress to the standards set, have room service but stay out of the dining area's and lounges that are open or cruise a line that better suits your needs.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, judi666 said:

Have you watched the 4 part UK series on Explorer?  People seemed a little daunting in quite elegant dress even in the daytime.  One lovely lady had such a low cut top I was fearful for a wardrobe malfunction! 😄

I kept waiting for something to happen. 😮

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The issue was the people dining in the buffet in shorts and jeans.  Unlike Regent that has an outside dining venue (pool deck) where you can dress in this way, you cannot walk around the ship or go to lounges unless you change.  Because of this, on our two Oceania cruises, we saw shorts and jeans (even overalls that looked like they belonged in a farm environment) all around the ship after dinner.  Such a sloppy look for such a lovely ship (we were on Riviera).   While "Elegant Casual" is fine, sloppy jeans and shorts at night seemed to bring down the cruise line quite a bit.  

What is a farm environment?🤔

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, judi666 said:

I’m not sure “elegant dress” and “wardrobe malfunction” belong in the same paragraph 😉. Although most of the people being interviewed were well dressed I saw plenty of people in the background in more normally casual clothes. I tend to live on the casual end of the dress code so I was keeping my eye out for it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The "wardrobe malfunction" was an American woman, sitting on a bar stool with a tee shirt that revealed about ALL.   It was slipping off her arms, her "bosoms" and everything else.  VERY bizarre.   So was she...

I just watched the 4th episode and the shirt was still holding on!  I wouldn’t want to insult anyone, and if she felt beautiful wearing it, that’s ok.

Thanks for the photo of the farm environment, TC.  

20 hours ago, AtA said:

I kept waiting for something to happen. 😮

Hmmm, the "quote" only did part of your post.  I wanted to respond to your comment about how people on the show were dressed.  From what I've seen (have not seen episode 4 yet), the focus is on people from the U.K. and they really do dress up more (in general) than people from the U.S.  I have seen many people from the U.K. dressed up - even for breakfast (kind of reminds me of the very few years I spent growing up on the East Coast).  Since Regent has about 80% passengers from the U.S., there are likely 80% of the passengers that do not dress up during the day.   And, it seems like it is mostly people from the U.S. that would like to see jeans allowed at night:classic_wacko:

3 hours ago, Snore42 said:

My last time on Explorer, the gentleman who was in the Regent suite with his family, dressed similarly actually.  I’m not kidding...  

You can take the boy out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the boy!!

Just saw the last episode - the "almost-indecently-clad" lady was either properly dressed or I didn't notice her!!   I liked the last episode the best of them all but there is still this theme running through it of enormous costs/wealth/snobbery and the sense from the voice over - mere mortals can't do this!   Am looking forward to seeing the US one...

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Just saw the last episode - the "almost-indecently-clad" lady was either properly dressed or I didn't notice her!!

She's pretty hard to miss - she is in the opening sequence and talks about them never saying no

Just finished watching Part 4 - the continual reference to the price of everything is tedious- I realize that's not Regents doing but Channel 4's editing

It was interesting to see some aspects of Regents approach to things

It was very interesting that they chose to have a guest perform the final show - very unusual that they couldn't shuffle other entertainers already on the ship around to fill the spot rather than using a guest (despite making his grandma proud!)

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

It was very interesting that they chose to have a guest perform the final show - very unusual that they couldn't shuffle other entertainers already on the ship around to fill the spot rather than using a guest (despite making his grandma proud!)

We thought so, too...but the guy had some impressive creds - I’d have gone to see him for sure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snore42 said:

My last time on Explorer, the gentleman who was in the Regent suite with his family, dressed similarly actually.  I’m not kidding...  

I’m all for personal expression and “don’t judge a book by its cover” and all that, but c’mon, man, slacks & a nice shirt don’t take any more effort than jeans and a flannel shirt...

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

After the episode I did a Google search on the guest Mackenzie Melemed.

Far more for his grandma to be proud of than performing on a cruise ship.

https://www.mackenziemelemed.com/bio

As mentioned in his bio, in May of this year he was one of three finalists, ultimately coming third, in the first China International Music Competition:

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/news/china-international-music-competition-announces-its-three-finalists/

There are several videos on YouTube of his performances.

Incidentally, I thought John Barron's comment 'That old chestnut' on one of Mackenzie Melemet's pieces was uncalled for.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I’m all for personal expression and “don’t judge a book by its cover” and all that, but c’mon, man, slacks & a nice shirt don’t take any more effort than jeans and a flannel shirt...

We saw the same outfit a couple of years ago when checking in on the Mariner and wondered how it was going to play out. We never saw him again until disembarking in the same outfit. Perhaps we did see him on a daily basis but  maybe he had changed his shipboard style and we never noticed.

5 minutes ago, fizzy said:

We saw the same outfit a couple of years ago when checking in on the Mariner and wondered how it was going to play out. We never saw him again until disembarking in the same outfit. Perhaps we did see him on a daily basis but  maybe he had changed his shipboard style and we never noticed.

In 2004 on the Seabourn Pride we became very friendly with a charming English couple.

During the day the husband was always dressed in a tracksuit.

Towards the end of the cruise we learned that the husband was a multi millionaire with homes in several parts of the world.

4 minutes ago, English Voyager said:

In 2004 on the Seabourn Pride we became very friendly with a charming English couple.

Towards the end of the cruise we learned that the husband was a multi millionaire with homes in several parts of the world.

What does having a lot of money have to do with anything and how much money is the correct amount for people to be given a pass for their behaviors? I find the VIP perception to be grating. If the tracksuit was OK by the cruise line, then who cares?

11 hours ago, Snore42 said:

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Wow - I have no words😕 - thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

You can take the boy out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the boy!!

Just saw the last episode - the "almost-indecently-clad" lady was either properly dressed or I didn't notice her!!   I liked the last episode the best of them all but there is still this theme running through it of enormous costs/wealth/snobbery and the sense from the voice over - mere mortals can't do this!   Am looking forward to seeing the US one...

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

43 minutes ago, fizzy said:

31 minutes ago, English Voyager said:

19 minutes ago, fizzy said:

What does having a lot of money have to do with anything and how much money is the correct amount for people to be given a pass for their behaviors? I find the VIP perception to be grating. If the tracksuit was OK by the cruise line, then who cares?

What’s missing here is the time the man was seen wearing overalls and a flannel shirt. If it was before 6 PM, his outfit was allowed by the Regent dress code. Only if it was after 6 PM  would there be a problem with his outfit. Please do not substitute individual opinions on proper shipboard dress for Regent’s opinion which, after all, is the only opinion that counts.

Dave

• Like 1

I just finished viewing the 4 episodes. 

My question, is this the same Explorer that I love?

We have been on Explorer for several sailings so far, and I have never felt the snobbery that the narrator expressed.

Everything was about costs. When you see fine art, is it about cost or beauty? 

Obviously, I enjoyed seeing my favorite ship, it’s hardworking staff, and ports. 

I thought that the overexposed lady was a bit funny and would love to know how her husband reacted when he saw it on TV. 

Some of the voyagers were very pleasant and enjoyed their comments. 

Never had dinner in “the Study” but it looks very cozy. Still prefer dining “restaurant style”. 

Look forward to sailing on my favorite ship Explorer, again in December. 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

I saw the last episode last night and agree that it was the best.  I truly do not understand the comments about stating the costs for everything since this is what the show was about ..... being the most expensive cruise ship.........  In order to demonstrate how expensive she is, don’t they need to discuss costs?  I do understand that discussing money/costs, etc. is not accepted well in the U.K., however, this show was done by a British company.

The U.S. show will only be one hour long (with commercials).  The title will likely be “Mighty Cruise Ships” as this is what the show is.  They have done programs on Azamara, Viking and I believe there is an older one on the Mariner.  I suspect that the show will be from more of a U.S. perspective.  Massimo was the G.M., and, if I remember correctly, Lorraine is the C.D.

Have to say that John was the perfect person to be highlighted on the program.  His television presence is polished (not surprising since he has been on television in Canada I believe) and his humor shines through.