Koningsdam Front Facing Cabins

whitford

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I guess I misunderstood something earlier.  I thought that "SQ" Neptune Suites were "Spa" Neptune Suites.   What does SQ mean?

Also, that balcony for 10005/10006 might still be good for us, as we would be able to see forward, albeit not fully across the front.  We love to watch as land approaches.  (Er, as the ship approaches the land!)  And we even prefer watching "forward" rather than to the side, even when on the open seas. That doesn't seem to make much sense, but it does to us.

Thanks.

GC

SQ is a spa Neptune. Still doesn't get you a spa pass. HAL slaps the name "spa" on cabins/suites that might for some reason (location, tiny balcony) be considered undesirable. 

3 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

So ... how does one get out on those forward observation spots on Decks 10 and 11 on the Koningsdam?  There's got to be a way to access them.

Look at photo of the front of K'dam. That extension of the balcony appears to dwindle to nothing or almost nothing. It isn't a public space. I suspect it's a design thing, to keep the curved front rather than a corner at the front of the Neptune Suite balcony.

21 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

But what about Deck 11 on these other ships (or are they not that similar to start with)?

Are those two Deck 11 NS (11005/11006) on Konigsdam really unique on Holland America?

There are no forward-facing cabins on deck 11 of the Signature class Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, just the ones on 10.

Edited by catl331

6 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

So ... how does one get out on those forward observation spots on Decks 10 and 11 on the Koningsdam?  There's got to be a way to access them.

From the photos now shown, there doesn't seem to be any forward "balcony area" on Deck 10.

But on Deck 11, it seems the access is only through Neptune Suites 11005 and 11006.

It's not (yet) clear if the access continues in front of the middle cabins there, or if, perhaps, that space is used for something else.

GC

28 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

Here is a shot of the front of K-dam.  There doesn't appear to be any partitions to keep the corner suite people from going all the way across of both 10 and 11. But if that is true, 11005 people can go look in the door of 11006 and vice versa! 

DSCN1571.JPG.612dde7c11e1aabb1cdabf78d4b98274.JPG

Edited by catl331

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you really want a balcony that faces forward, there's a forward portion of the balcony at the front of deck 5. But it isn't a Neptune suite, it's a signature. 

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/5001-koningsdam/

Thanks very much!

That is very good to know.

And it also shows very well on the Deck Plan, whereas the setup on Deck 11 is not at all clear.

We'll keep those in mind.

For another ship/another cruise line, we've already been discussing that we may downsize to get that forward balcony and view.

Thanks again!

GC

47 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Here is a shot of the front of K-dam.  There doesn't appear to be any partitions to keep the corner suite people from going all the way across of both 10 and 11. But if that is true, 11005 people can go look in the door of 11006 and vice versa! 

DSCN1571.JPG.612dde7c11e1aabb1cdabf78d4b98274.JPG

And.... they'd be able to peek into the windows of those middle cabins - and that surely can't be allowed!  So I'd assume that there is SOME sort of barrier such that the two end suites (11005/11006) need to stop at some point close to the area in front of those middle cabins.  But... what/how?

It certainly doesn't look like there is anything other than a clear stroll along the full balcony across the front.  And it's even less clear what is "there" on Deck 10, as the end Spa Neptune Suites do *not* have a balcony that wraps to the front areal.

Does anyone know if there are *ANY* other HAL ships that have something like these balconies in a Neptune Suite, or even something in a different category (like those two on a lower deck on the Konigsdam)?

It's a shame that the Deck Plans do NOT always show this accurately!

Any suggestions of someone to phone at HAL to get this information?

Many !! thanks!

GC

8 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And.... they'd be able to peek into the windows of those middle cabins - and that surely can't be allowed!

They could be heavily silvered like the promenade cabins on the S and R class ships. The doors of the suites could be too I guess, like the S/R Lanais.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

less clear what is "there" on Deck 10, as the end Spa Neptune Suites do *not* have a balcony that wraps to the front areal.

Are you sure?  In the pic decks 10 & 11 look the same.

19 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Are you sure?  In the pic decks 10 & 11 look the same.

Yup, IF one of the links above, to the Deck 10 corner NS is accurate.

From the outside, looking at the front of those decks, they definitely look "the same" (or very, very similar).

But the side balcony on those forward corner NS on Deck 10, unlike those on Deck 11, have metal balcony sides that END right at the front edge of the balcony.  There is NOTHING that wraps.

Now... that does *not* really match the photo of the ship from the front, so.... I'm not entirely sure whether the photo of the Deck 10 NS's corner balcony is accurate.

The appearance of those forward "balcony areas" facing the ship do seem the same as on other cruise line ships that have balconies on *all* of those decks...

But there was no mistaking the "dead-end" of the balcony in that photo linked above...

GC

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yup, IF one of the links above, to the Deck 10 corner NS is accurate.

If you're referring to the link and pic in post #22, that's on the Nieuw Amsterdam, not a Pinnacle class ship.

Here is the front of the N.A.  ... clearly no front balcony, and the corner NS balcony does not wrap.

DSCN9679.JPG

Edited by catl331

45 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Here's a picture of K'dam taken this winter. It looks like there are partitions that block off the forward end of the balconies, except for deck 5 or 6. 

But here's a frame from the YouTube video referenced earlier that shows the partition can be opened.

11005.jpg.354d09103e3c92e90efd0f446821205a.jpg

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

But here's a frame from the YouTube video referenced earlier that shows the partition can be opened.

11005.jpg.354d09103e3c92e90efd0f446821205a.jpg

Ok, that would clearly answer the question ... those lucky people in those two far-forward suits get to access the forward observation on those two decks ... but that's all.  Oh, well. 🙂

18 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

... those lucky people in those two far-forward suits get to access the forward observation on those two decks ...

Unless they somehow opened the partition themselves without anyone's knowledge or permission.  😀

1 minute ago, catl331 said:

Unless they somehow opened the partition themselves without anyone's knowledge or permission.  😀

I would want it closed when the ship was moving. I had a forward-facing bump-out cabin one time, and it was VERY windy sitting or standing at the rail when the ship was moving. I had to sit back in the shelter of the partition of the next balcony. 

23 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What about in front of 11001 ?

The passengers in 11005 can walk from their side balcony to that space in front of their forward-facing window.

Can they continue across in front of the middle ocean-view/window cabins?  Or is that blocked off - and if so, what is in that space?

Thanks!

GC

The answer is negative .

I was in 11001 last month and enjoyed the view from inside the stateroom when we sailed into Kotor

14 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would want it closed when the ship was moving. I had a forward-facing bump-out cabin one time, and it was VERY windy sitting or standing at the rail when the ship was moving. I had to sit back in the shelter of the partition of the next balcony. 

I would agree.

I've had a forward-facing cabin on an R-class ship (the Amsterdam - 6102) and it was wonderful to have the forward-facing view out the window during the day (at night the shades had to be closed for navigation reasons). There was also an access hatch out in the corridor which led out to the forward observation deck (6 forward).  While wonderful for scenic cruising in Alaska or going through the Panama Canal, when the ship was out on the high seas we stayed away from that outside deck ... the wind was horrible.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

The answer is negative .

I was in 11001 last month and enjoyed the view from inside the stateroom when we sailed into Kotor

The person who took the picture below was apparently in front of 11005, and the woman on deck 10 appears to be a little more toward center, possibly in front of 10003.  In the second picture I see no barriers that would prevent them from moving in front of 11001 and 10001 respectively.

11005(2).jpg.99fa931716aef6670e865e114b1d2905.jpg

DSCN1571.JPG.612dde7c11e1aabb1cdabf78d4b98274.jpg.720f5035a51a29ad54a3b896f7f3d838.jpg

Edited by catl331