Viking "typical" daily schedule?

Vicky D

I will be taking my first river cruise in March 2020 on Viking Vili (Danube Waltz).  I have taken a Viking Ocean cruise (Mediterranean).  After reading reviews, I am picking up that the daily schedule may be different.  I was used to leaving early morning for excursions and not returning until dinner then sailing at night to the next port.  Some of the river reviews indicated being bored on the ship, not much to do, etc. but I found I used the ship to sleep, shower, eat dinner and get a  nightcap.  Are river cruises different?  Can anyone give me an idea of the daily schedule?  How much time do you spend sightseeing via the ship?

This is a sample daily from our Rhine cruise.  River is very different from Ocean! Generally, overnights are rare. At most you are in ports for a few hours, so you try to pack everything in.  The availability of food is limited.  We loved our river cruise but I did miss open meal times and  dining choices.  There were times when I would have enjoyed the chance to eat dinner in port but we usually sailed by then.  There isn’t much to do onboard but the purpose is the ports.  Just be aware the boat often dropped you off at one port and picked you up at a different one.  So if you were not on an excursion, be sure you confirm pick up with the concierge. The port talks are invaluable. 

024F1ECD-5EEB-431C-804E-BEC15DB7BFA0.jpeg

• Like 1

There isn't a set answer to your question. Sometimes, the river ships travel at night, and sometimes during the day, especially during the more scenic parts of the river.  Occasionally, during the day when you are off on an excursion, the ship will sail on ahead and you will meet up at a new location. Once in a while the ship will stay in a port until late evening, and you can walk off into town to wander, or have dinner off the ship. Often, the ship would begin sailing right around dinner time.

• Like 1

Ships have to navigate through locks.  So while one is on an excursion, the ship may be in line, waiting to get through a lock.  This is often what happens when passengers are dropped off in one town, and picked up in another.  More efficient than having ship full of passengers waiting for an hour or two, going nowhere.

• Like 1