‘The Grill’/Buffet

Tigrou

Poor Tigrou, that does sound very trying, and I would have been very irritated.

I cannot imagine going into any restaurant in the UK, and being expected to share a table with strangers, or having them join me after I had sat down. 

I’m sure there is plenty of opportunity to make the acquaintance of others around the ship, and then decide to have a meal together, rather than the other way round!

I’m pretty sure that in Saga Magazine’s relationship advice, it suggests that ‘first dates’ or meetings, are planned round a short coffee or tea, to allow a quick get away if you find you have nothing in common! Not quite the same thing, I know, yet on their newest ship, they seem to have expected you to commit to up to a three course meal with strangers,  rather going against their own very sensible advice!

Thanks for the information on the food offerings, it’s certainly given me plenty to consider. It remains to be seen whether or not the restricted opening times for dining, and the seeming limited choices, would make my ‘young’ and active (70+) OH feel as if he has paid good money to stay in a nursing home rather than a luxurious floating hotel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

I cannot imagine going into any restaurant in the UK, and being expected to share a table with strangers, or having them join me after I had sat down. 

A cruise ship isn't a restaurant in the UK though, and it's worth noting that some UK restaurants are furnished with long benches which make sitting right next to strangers unavoidable when the place is busy. Often but not always asian themed, e.g. Wagamama springs to mind, but it's definitely a Thing. At least there's no expectation of making conversation.

The only unusual thing about what's happening on SoD is that waiters are apparently deliberately filling up tables rather than letting people wander around looking for somewhere to sit. It may be because the MDR and buffet don't have enough seats between them to manage the whole ship in one go, assuming the Verandah is unusable because of the weather, so waiters are trying to make sure every seat in The Grill is in use just in case. An unlikely scenario in practice if the alternative restaurants are being well used, but that means a balancing act between rationing access through bookings to allow as many pax as possible a chance of visiting the alternative restaurants, particularly on shorter cruises, and keeping them as full as possible to avoid the main restaurants clogging up.

There are 1038 covers available across the 5 restaurants excluding the 189 on the veranda so in theory there is enough room to seat a full ship for dinner but not necessarily where they choose to dine. It is different for lunch as there are only 788 covers available plus the 189 on the veranda which must make things a bit busy on sea days.

I found the SOD to be the most spacious ship I’ve ever sailed on and there have been over 30. The passenger/space ratio is very good. 

However, almost every time we ate there The Grill felt crowded. Not enough room between tables, especially for people using walkers. There are very few tables for two.

Some of the tables for four are overcrowded at breakfast with the items set on it. I wish I had taken a photo. Sugar and sweetener bowls, a plate trying to accommodate 6 little jars of jams, salt and pepper, cups and saucers, side plate and butter knife, jugs of milk, placemats and of course cutlery. Then add in a plate of hot food and a glass of juice. All that for 4 in a small space. 

Some of the tables for 4 are really two 2s pushed together and these have much more space. 

The shorter than normal (on cruises) opening hours can’t help. We were never up for breakfast at 7.00. Between 8.00/8.30 and 9.00/9.30 it was always crowded, with queues forming both sides waiting to be seated.