Specialty Reservation Question

dsegel

We are just back from an Oceania cruise--they are top notch, as usual.  BUT we had made our specialty restaurant reservations in advance.  Supposedly, once you are aboard, you can make more reservations on a first come, first serve basis. When I went to make the additional reservation, the first thing they ask is, "what is your stateroom?"  Then, "What restaurant do you want?"  Then they look on their computer and say there is nothing--this happened two times on different days.  This person has been sitting in front of the computer all day and should know if there are openings.  It makes it seem as though only "certain people" get the openings.  We were in Consierge level balcony cabin and are Silver card.

Does anyone know how this truly works?

It's very possible that the majority of passengers on your cruise ALL wanted extra reservations.  I agree that he probably should have been aware of general availability before going through the questions, but at the same time there are lots of possible slots on each day for each restaurant.  While that person might be aware of some that are already "unavailable", it may be asking too much for him or her to know every single detail.

Availability for extras does depend on how many of the passengers want them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dsegel said:

Does anyone know how this truly works?

The way that it works is that every passenger on the ship is guaranteed at least their allotted reservations.  Until everyone aboard has booked at least those,  and please keep in mind that a large segment is unaware that pre-booking is even a thing, the cruise line needs to be cautious about granting additional visits.

Their caution is generally exercised by monitoring the number of "extra" reservation requests made by each cabin, with an eye to how many unclaimed reservations remain outstanding.

In other words,  additional Reservations are granted on a first come first served basis, AFTER it has been determined that the passenger is operating within those "Give everyone a chance" guidelines, hence the request for your cabin number. 

• Like 2

Maybe they should just ask what day & restaurant  before  asking for you cabin Number

We book  some of our allotted  reservations  but not all  & usually no longer try to go again

The menus are the same for past few years  so for me it is not really a priority

Does not or should not matter what colour card you have  unless you are in the top suites  then I think you get priority

As Mura said  everyone wants extra reservations

They used to maintain a waitlist for that day in case people cancel  then you might find a card in your door  before dinner   not sure if they still do this or not

While some really don't like to believe it there is a system in place where those that are in upper suites or high in the loyalty program can usually get extras. It's certainly not an in your face type set up like the Mass Market lines have, where the "perks" are an advertised benefit of the higher suites,  but there is some favoritism there. 

This is why so many people mention their butler being able to get extra reservations. 

We were on the Nautica  this past winter. Second Oceania cruise. Concierge level. We asked for extra on non sea days. No problem getting extra reservations. Might not be the exact time slot you wanted. Sea days seem to fill up first.

What I did notice and puzzled about was several times we were in Polo at a large table with empty seats at our table. Did nobody want them? 7:30 slot.

3 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

What I did notice and puzzled about was several times we were in Polo at a large table with empty seats at our table. Did nobody want them? 7:30 slot.

There were empty tables at all the specialty restaurants we were in.  I think they have to limit it depending on servers available.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

People have differing opinions about the desirability of sharing tables.  

• Like 3

Just now, StanandJim said:

People have differing opinions about the desirability of sharing tables.  

I guess. Personally  I love sharing with others.....except when we got stuck with a couple first night who spent the entire meal telling us how much they hate Oceania and are going back to Princess. First night! Got stuck with them again another night. Oy!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dsegel said:

There were empty tables at all the specialty restaurants we were in.  I think they have to limit it depending on servers available.

They rarely fill all the tables in the Specialties

Some tables are turned over faster than others 

We usually have a 2 top  & are in/out in 90 mins  if the staff are paying attention 😉

5 minutes ago, dsegel said:

It's not just the servers available, it's the reservation timing. If I go in at 6:30 odds are I won't be leaving until at least 8-8:30. There are people reserved for 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 8:30 etc. If they filled all tables when the restaurant opens then the people reserved at those times would not have a table to be seated at. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While some really don't like to believe it there is a system in place where those that are in upper suites or high in the loyalty program can usually get extras.

I don’t see a problem with that as long as everyone gets their allotted number of reservations.

I think that the one who pays the fare of an owner suite should get the EXTRA reservation over the one that has paid for an inside; likewise someone who has spent money with O for 30 cruises should get that extra reservation over the one on their first O cruise (who may or may not return).

Do you want that little extra attention or a little special treatment? Get an upper suite or sail enough with the line to have high loyalty level - it’s common sense and it makes sense to the companies (cruise lines, airlines, hotels, etc).

Loyalty should be rewarded in all business models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

We asked for extra on non sea days. No problem getting extra reservations.

That's interesting and encouraging.  Our Oceania cruise in December has departures between 6 and 8 PM.  Thanks for the info.

17 minutes ago, clo said:

That's interesting and encouraging.  Our Oceania cruise in December has departures between 6 and 8 PM.  Thanks for the info.

Clo...are you on the Marina?   What are seating times?  We make our reservations  just after midnight tonight. We are on the Barcelona to Rio segment.

19 minutes ago, clo said:

Btw....on our last cruise I got 3 extra Toscana and 3 extra Polo reservations.   Superb.

6 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Clo...are you on the Marina?   What are seating times?  We make our reservations  just after midnight tonight. We are on the Barcelona to Rio segment.

I can't book for another month.  We're doing Rio to Buenos Aires and, yes, on the Marina.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I can't book for another month.  We're doing Rio to Buenos Aires and, yes, on the Marina.

We have not yet been on marina....do you know the seating times?