Laundry Room Availability On Antarctica Cruise

Summerprincess

I am wondering if anyone who has cruised to Antarctica on Princess knows which days the Laundry Rooms are open for use. I wasn’t sure if they would

be closed for some of the days due to cruising in Antarctica. Thank you to all who can offer insight as I plan ahead for packing. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Summerprincess said:

I am wondering if anyone who has cruised to Antarctica on Princess knows which days the Laundry Rooms are open for use. I wasn’t sure if they would

be closed for some of the days due to cruising in Antarctica. Thank you to all who can offer insight as I plan ahead for packing. 

This is a good question.  Not only for Princess, on which there is plenty of room to have lots of extra clothes, but what about expedition ships?  Are there laundry facilities?  This is important for those who fly to Marsh Airport on King George Island who are limited on luggage.

Thank you in advance.

All of the expedition ships I’ve been on have a few-based laundry service. However, it’s not particularly gentle on things like wool base layers, since it’s the same laundry facility that mostly handles sheets and towels.

Antarctica is so dry that it doesn’t take long for things to dry, so I’ve never had a problem washing things in the cabin sink. Just be sure to pack biodegradable detergent if you’re considering it.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:13 PM, kaisatsu said:

All of the expedition ships I’ve been on have a few-based laundry service. However, it’s not particularly gentle on things like wool base layers, since it’s the same laundry facility that mostly handles sheets and towels.

Antarctica is so dry that it doesn’t take long for things to dry, so I’ve never had a problem washing things in the cabin sink. Just be sure to pack biodegradable detergent if you’re considering it.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Typically, I am a light traveler, and I do laundry every evening in a sink, so that I do not have to pack almost any clothes with me. 

As far as detergent goes, I use whatever soap or shampoo is available to wash my clothes. For me, soap serves as hand soap, body wash, shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, glass cleaner, etc. 

But I recognize that most people do not do laundry in their sink every night, and they expect to have laundry facilities on ship, hence my query.