Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

Wondering if this is fleet-wide in all cabin categories.  We are on Silhouette in a RS in November for our wedding anniversary.  Thought it might be nice to have dinner brought in for a dinner and a movie date night in the quiet of our suite.  

And BTW...can movies be accessed for a fee?  or are they gone altogether?

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wondering if this is fleet-wide in all cabin categories.  We are on Silhouette in a RS in November for our wedding anniversary.  Thought it might be nice to have dinner brought in for a dinner and a movie date night in the quiet of our suite.  

And BTW...can movies be accessed for a fee?  or are they gone altogether?

Several not so good and not so new movies are there for the taking at $14.99 each.  Funny how that "contract" to pay for movies continued?

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 5

If you are watching free movies in your stateroom instead of being out and about on ship then Celebrity does not make additional money from you that day/night.  Eliminating free movies is a revenue strategy.  Earlier this year on Edge, in addition to the free TV channels like CNN, and endless soccer matches, there were Infomercial channels trying to sell products like the mattresses used on the ship.  This was hosted by the port shopping person on the ship.  First time I had seen this.  I was really put off by this.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If you are watching free movies in your stateroom instead of being out and about on ship then Celebrity does not make additional money from you that day/night.  Eliminating free movies is a revenue strategy.  Earlier this year on Edge, in addition to the free TV channels like CNN, and endless soccer matches, there were Infomercial channels trying to sell products like the mattresses used on the ship.  This was hosted by the port shopping person on the ship.  First time I had seen this.  I was really put off by this.

It also means you are out eating more free and drinking more at no additional cost on your package!  This was a cheap CUT not an incentive to get us out of our cabins imo.  But in the event you are right the food and drink is a pretty good expense to add on to get us out of our cabins as you say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

It also means you are out eating more free and drinking more at no additional cost on your package!  This was a cheap CUT not an incentive to get us out of our cabins imo.  But in the event you are right the food and drink is a pretty good expense to add on to get us out of our cabins as you say.

Eating more food does not add much cost to them since they already make more than enough and have a lot of waste.  But drinking more is a real cost to them if you have a beverage package.  But I think many passengers do not have one.

Just now, TeeRick said:

Eating more food does not add much cost to them since they already make more than enough and have a lot of waste.  But drinking more is a real cost to them if you have a beverage package.  But I think many passengers do not have one.

Ok I can try to go along with you but cutting 5 lousy free movies is the definition of cheap with no concern for anyone but themselves.  What is next half the towels in the bathroom?   I wish people would stop making excuses when X and the others nickel and dime like this.  I am Elite on Celebrity and I like them but this was hardly a big time consumer in the cabin.  5 movies can be done in 9 hours or so.  The 5 was a cut from previous years and was cheap enough as it was.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

Ok I can try to go along with you but cutting 5 lousy free movies is the definition of cheap with no concern for anyone but themselves.  What is next half the towels in the bathroom?   I wish people would stop making excuses when X and the others nickel and dime like this.  I am Elite on Celebrity and I like them but this was hardly a big time consumer in the cabin.  5 movies can be done in 9 hours or so.  The 5 was a cut from previous years and was cheap enough as it was.

You misunderstand me.  I am agreeing with you.  I'm just saying they did it to try and generate more revenue.  I'm not defending this move by them at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’re currently on the Silhouette too and can confirm that there are no longer any free-to-view movies in the stateroom. When we asked at Guest Relations they advised that they have been discontinued from this cruise forward. 

The on-screen menus on the TV haven’t yet been updated so they still give the option of free-to-view movies but none are listed. 

Cruisers from the UK may have difficulty with streaming Netflix/Amazon/iPlayer as the on-board wifi has its point-of-presence in the US so UK-based subscriptions won’t work with it. 

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You misunderstand me.  I am agreeing with you.  I'm just saying they did it to try and generate more revenue.  I'm not defending this move by them at all.

Sorry Rick.....I am pissed off at the nickel and diming.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very disappointed to hear this.  First they had a lot of free movies, then just a few, and now none?!?  And that on top of the serious lack of any kind of interesting television.  And the pay for view movies are ridiculously expensive.  

Good for those who don't give a hoot.  I'm happy for you.  Glad you can rejoice over something being taken away just because it does not impact you.  Bad for those who like to spend a night or afternoon chilling in the room and relaxing.  Sometimes you catch a head cold or something and just want to lay around and rest.  We often cruise 14+ nights in a row - sometimes we just don't feel like going out and partying.  We are senior citizens after all.  

Seems like a foolish move to me, cost-wise.  With so many people having drink packages, it probably costs Celebrity more, net, to take this away than to keep it.   

There is so much we love about Celebrity, but this nickel and dime routine is getting very, very, very old and causing us to really consider looking into other lines (not that they don't have some of the same themselves).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I hope this is not true. A few times we were pleasantly surprised by the number of new movies and then others disappointed there would be hardly any without fee. After you have seen the shows in the theatre a few times, the movies are a nice fall

back. If this is true, I hope this decision is reversed.

1 hour ago, NeroliGirl said:

Cruisers from the UK may have difficulty with streaming Netflix/Amazon/iPlayer as the on-board wifi has its point-of-presence in the US so UK-based subscriptions won’t work with it. 

Currently on Silhouette and my daughter streamed Netflix successfully yesterday using a UK based subscription. 

Remember them taking the nightly chocolate away? There was uproar and they eventually reversed the decision.

Maybe we need to overwhelm their twitter and Facebook feeds with complaints plus the usual channels to complain?

Like others I feel that this is a cheap move by Celebrity, I wouldn’t say I was a massive user of the facility but have occasionally enjoyed watching a film. 

Debbie

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Nymich said:

It is ridiculous they are doing small cuts here and there and they think their production shows are everything.  We actually do Celebrity not for music, not for their shows.  We know far better.  We do it to relax and yes even enjoy a free movie in the cabin.

No wonder we just booked Oceania.  X needs to stop the petty cuts to pay for their Edge and Apex.

We tried Oceania twice and although the dining room food WAS very good, the rest of the cruise and ship left something to be desired.  I understand that Oceania is cutting back on their food quality.   

7 hours ago, HelenREMfan said:

.... movies are show in Celebrity Central - not the most comfortable of venues remembering that the Silhouette doesn’t have a screen outdoor on top deck!! 

Celebrity Central is not comfortable for any type of entertainment.  When are they going to replace those uncomfortable and broken chairs!  Having said that, we do enjoy going to an afternoon movie there.

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

don't forget your blow up beach ball for a foot stool as well.  This is ridiculous to pay thousands of dollars and discuss things like this.

I took the beach balls (and posted a photo on CC) on the Edge Inaugural sailing.  So glad I had it, but the advertised AQ included footstools would have been better!

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

HDMI's, universal remotes, streaming...it's a shame.  Nobody should have to be thinking about how they are going to access a movie, much less about the extra equipment they need to bring along in order to do so.  Come on Celebrity, wise up.

Exactly!   And it's too much trouble.  Sadly, we will continue to watch  movies on my iPad. 

Another form of entertainment that was missing on our last two Celebrity cruises was the music stations on the TV.

Since we have seen all of the HGTV episodes - over and over again, and the news is so depressing, the best thing that I have found on the TV is a British game show that is shown when sailing around the UK.

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

We board September 23rd, I will do some posts and will let you know if no one else responds first...

Thank you chemmo.  I appreciate it.  I know others have said a couple of other ships don't have any, but I'm specifically looking for verification on the Equinox, hoping the OP's experience was just a "one off" or something.  Probably wishful thinking on my part. 🙂

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Very disappointed to hear this.  First they had a lot of free movies, then just a few, and now none?!?  And that on top of the serious lack of any kind of interesting television.  And the pay for view movies are ridiculously expensive.  

Good for those who don't give a hoot.  I'm happy for you.  Glad you can rejoice over something being taken away just because it does not impact you.  Bad for those who like to spend a night or afternoon chilling in the room and relaxing.  Sometimes you catch a head cold or something and just want to lay around and rest.  We often cruise 14+ nights in a row - sometimes we just don't feel like going out and partying.  We are senior citizens after all.  

Seems like a foolish move to me, cost-wise.  With so many people having drink packages, it probably costs Celebrity more, net, to take this away than to keep it.   

There is so much we love about Celebrity, but this nickel and dime routine is getting very, very, very old and causing us to really consider looking into other lines (not that they don't have some of the same themselves).

Just to add to your list:

- At times we travel with young children who need down time in the cabin.

- Sometimes my DH goes  to sleep early while I watch a movie late at night.

- Sometimes the weather is bad and we take the opportunity to hunker down in the room to watch a movie together since we don't get much time to do this at home with busy work schedules. 

Edited by kathynorth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe I am feeling this way about X.  Over dumb movies.

Last year we were only doing 1 cruise in Feb (RCI-NOT my favorite).  Round about Nov I couldn't stand it, I had to do another.  So I looked and looked and found a great deal on a 2 week Christmas/NYE cruise on HAL.  We had never cruised on HAL before.

As I look back and remember, there were some things about that cruise that I absolutely loved, I know, I am a broken record about 1 of them.  HAL so outshines X in these areas I am seriously thinking that a switch might be what we need.

1.  They have a laundry package for $7 a day that is awesome

2.  They have the best movies (free of course) I have ever seen on a cruise.  And a huge assortment.  We were on it for 2 weeks and I think I may have missed 1 or 2 and I watch a movie each evening (while my husband is on the balcony).

3.  The evening entertainment is the best.  They have BB King venue which has classical music in early evening and R&B at night.  And they had a classic rock area and dueling pianos.  As a lover of music, I was very happy.

Just like anything, it was hard going on a new cruise line.  You get used to a product and that makes you feel comfortable.  But honestly, if X is going to play the bean counting game, I think it may be time to start looking elsewhere.  And after this cruise on X in Nov we will be Elite +, dang.

Edited by Muushka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Groovybusybee said:

Remember them taking the nightly chocolate away? There was uproar and they eventually reversed the decision.

Maybe we need to overwhelm their twitter and Facebook feeds with complaints plus the usual channels to complain?

Like others I feel that this is a cheap move by Celebrity, I wouldn’t say I was a massive user of the facility but have occasionally enjoyed watching a film. 

Debbie

I agree with many of the above posters that this is a cheap $ saving and $ producing move by Celebrity. I'll add this to my list of feedback items that I share with Celebrity each time the opportunity arises. Maybe movies will be restored if enough passengers complete comment cards  to report movies are missing and also mention this on the post cruise surveys.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hulamoon said:

I hope this is not true. A few times we were pleasantly surprised by the number of new movies and then others disappointed there would be hardly any without fee. After you have seen the shows in the theatre a few times, the movies are a nice fall

back. If this is true, I hope this decision is reversed.

This thread is  a start to any hopes of changing things.  

1 hour ago, Alwaysmorecruising said:

Thank you chemmo.  I appreciate it.  I know others have said a couple of other ships don't have any, but I'm specifically looking for verification on the Equinox, hoping the OP's experience was just a "one off" or something.  Probably wishful thinking on my part. 🙂

As of now nobody has notified us that any Ship has free on demand movies.  In fact two the Reflection and Silhouette have let us know there are no free on demand movies.  This will only be a "one off" if people let X know it's a cheap move.  If you take the time to read my opening post I stated that mid week they pulled the free movies on the Equinox.   They were still gone at the end of the cruise which was Saturday Sept 7 and you can look back to my opening post to read what I was told. Wishing that it is not true is not going to be enough.  Call X and let them explain to you why you will not have free on demand movies.

• Like 1

We were on Equinox Aug 10th and 17th.  They had "movies" on the TV, but they were all so old and not worthwhile.  Yes they had movie rentals for I think $14.99 , but NOTHING new or newer. 

The "big screen" up on the lawn club also played the same OLD movies.  We have the TV on while dressing or getting ready for dinner, while having breakfast in the cabin and enjoy it.  The other channels are repeat from old showings like food network. 

We are NOT fans of Princess, but at lease they have new and newer movie selection which is really nice.

X, just took another thing away, but since the movies were so old no real interest