Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bud88

Trying to avoid "partyers"

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, clo said:

I'm a 72 y.o. self-described info junkie and truly don't know how I lived before google!

There is something called an encyclopedia that you must have heard of.I read every page of all 26 volumes of my Funk And Wagnalls.I literally devoured historical references. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been on 4 lines. We've cruised all 4 out of either Long Beach, San Pedro or San Diego (among other places, but I'm sticking close to home for you). I'd rate them in order of rowdiness thusly:

 

Carnival

Royal/Princess

HAL

 

I think the rowdy Princess cruise was only that way because it was a 4-day cruise. We later took a 10 and 12 day cruise and both were quite sedate.

 

The Royal cruises weren't really that rowdy, but they were livelier than the HAL cruise.

 

I loved HAL on the Neiuw Amsterdam. It was wonderful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What line was that  so I can avoid it ??

If they say Crystal, we're in trouble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

If they say Crystal, we're in trouble!

Right  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!!  Thank you all so much! You've given me so much more information than I thought I'd get. Unfortunately, many of these cruise lines don't operate out of Los Angeles, but if it means flying somewhere to enjoy our vacation more, than here we come.

It looks like a couple good choices to try next, and am looking forward to it. We have enjoyed cruising and want to continue, and thanks to all of you, we are re-invigorated to try again.

More research is in order, like the difference between Premium and Luxury. I'm watching You Tube videos as well.

Again, thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If food quality matters to OP, there's only one choice- Oceania.

 

I have enjoyed excellent food quality on Celebrity and Disney. It is ridiculous to think that the "only one choice" for decent food is limited to just your favorite cruise line. Your bias for Oceania is clouding your advice - as it always does. A rabid cheerleader's advice is always to be read with skepticism. 

Edited by PTMary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think cruise line really matters.  We have seen drunks on every line we have sailed.  With the beverage packages that are now available, it may be more prevalent then ever.  It does make for some interesting "People Watching."  

 

Shorter cruises,  spring break, summer vacations, and very inexpensive cruises are all things you want to look at when trying to avoid large groups of "Over-imbibing" cruisers.

 

With all that being said, cruise ships are large enough, that you can find places to relax where the "Less-sober" people are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 2:50 PM, JennyB1977 said:

@bud88 There are no definitive rules.

You have three big options which may relieve some of what you are looking to avoid:

1) Do not book "super discounted" trips

2) Book a "premium" line

3) Search for charters and avoid ones that may offend you

 

 Other than the suggestions offered above, getting on a vessel with 2+ thousand other people is always a gamble.

 

I like posts like this...

OP... This fall, WE will be trying a Viking Ocean TransAtlantic Cruise.

Seems the highlight, will be a Certified Bridge ( card game)  couple, to teach of our Bridge incongruities.. ☺️

Maybe this type of cruise would be more of your cup of tea.😎

Travel while you can.

My father-in-law said, "Why travel, when you can read about places in a book?"

Edited by $hip$hape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PTMary said:

 

I have enjoyed excellent food quality on Celebrity and Disney. It is ridiculous to think that the "only one choice" for decent food is limited to just your favorite cruise line. Your bias for Oceania is clouding your advice - as it always does. A rabid cheerleader's advice is always to be read with skepticism. 

Don't shoot the messenger. There's a reason why Bon Appetit singled out Oceania (for its consistent high quality food and service) in deciding to curate its cooking school. Same goes for Wine Spectator (sponsoring O's La Reserve). BTW, Dom Perignon now sponsors a dinner at La Reserve as well.

I'm assuming you're not a food critic for any major cosmopolitan newspaper. That said, you may want to do a literature search (beyond Cruise Critic) to see which cruise line(s) are always cited by professionals for their outstanding food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A reality here on CC is that there are many single line "cheerleaders" who generally cruise one particular line, love that line, blind themselves to the fact that there is a large cruise industry beyond a single line, etc.  We can find posters with that kind of view for every line here on CC from Carnival to "O."  As an avid cruiser and traveler I do read what cheerleaders say, but generally discount most of what I read because these folks have generally lost their perspective.  It is no different then the person that spends their vacation at the same sea resort for their entire life and simply "knows" there is no better place.  While that might be true for that person, it is not necessarily true for the entire population.  So while somebody might rave about Seabourn where you can get unlimited Caviar and Champagne (with no additional fees) that is meaningless for those that don't like caviar or champagne :).

 

As to the booze issue,  I really disagree with the recent post that the cruise line does not matter when it comes to drunks.  You are less likely to find a group of drunks on Disney, Seabourn, Silverseas, Crystal, Viking, etc... when compared to Carnival, Celebrity or RCI.  The issue is that there are numerous cruisers who book lines like Carnival, Celebrity and RCI because of the constant marketing of drink packages and the so-called party atmosphere.  While Celebrity does not really push the party thing, many folks will talk about their Martini Bar (with its neat ice top) and the terrific variety of martinis made with top shelf booze (for those with the best drink packages).    It also matters when you cruise and the length of the cruise.  We seldom see any major drinking issues on our longer voyages and suspect its because those cruises attract an older clientele...most of whom have put their serious drinking times far behind :).  One interesting discovery for us has been the Yacht Club  (YC) of MSC.  We expected to see a drinking crowd in the YC because it includes unlimited decent booze, but it was not to pass.  Perhaps it was because we had a very international group of passengers (North Americans were the minority) or that this was a relatively expensive part of the ship (although not more money then decent categories on RCI or Celebrity).  We do not have the answer, but our experience on that line far surpassed all of our expectations.   In terms of value it is something hard to beat anywhere in the cruise world.

 

And finally I will blow my own horn and say that much of my opinion is based on first hand experience (not the anecdotal comments of others).  We enjoy a large variety of cruise lines and differing cruise lengths (everything from 7 day to over 60 day).  When somebody tells me that their favorite line has the best food, entertainment, staff, etc.  my first question is "what other lines have you tried in the past 3 years?  The answer is often "none."   While they may be very knowledgeable about their favorite cruise line they really have no basis of comparison.  It's like the guy who says that McDonalds is the best restaurant on earth but later admits that he has never eaten anywhere except McDonalds :).

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.... My two cents.   While there can be drunks on ANY (Mass Market)  cruise line, there are far fewer on HAL, usually because of their reputation of an "old folks" line.   While we love them, (I feel their itineraries are better than the competition, and we like their smaller ships) I have to say that the poster above who made the comment "After 9:30 every night the place is a morgue" is right on.... 

 

That being said, I noticed that the OP also made reference to liking "good entertainment" on board.   Well, IMHO, HAL's entertainment has been in a steady decline for the past 10 years, and is now in the "Pathetic" range.  (Does not matter to us as we really are not entertainment junkies)   

 

Lastly though, while the average age on HAL is higher (And way fewer kids and millennials) those onboard are EXCEEDINGLY well traveled and active cruisers.   I have always been blown away at just HOW well traveled and active our tablemates have been on that cruise line.  (Compared to the other 5 mass markets) 

 

Oh yeah, and befoer anyone calls me a "cheerleader"  note that  my next cruise is on NCL, my last was on Star Clippers, and it was CMV before that.......

Edited by FredT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 4:27 AM, bud88 said:

Hi all, I've been looking through the forums so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time. We're novice cruisers, only 3 times, and all on Carnival for week long cruises. Mostly because of price, and we live in the Los Angeles area so we don't have to fly to get to the ship. We've had a good time, but the amount of drunk people was disappointing. I've read a lot of reviews stating RCCL, NCL, and CCL are very much alike.

 

So my question is this; What lines should we look at to get a better "class" of people (now I hate using class, but I couldn't think of a better description) where drinks aren't being dropped into the pool, no throwing up (we hadn't even left the port), stumbling drunks, and people almost getting into fights.

 

We do enjoy the comedy shows and being active, but also like our quiet time to relax.

 

Thanks to everyone with your vast experience and advice.

Right Now I like a drink, but I cant stand folk getting wrecked and ruining things for everyone else.

 

Try celebrity. It was the perfect mix. Well it was for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Right Now I like a drink, but I cant stand folk getting wrecked and ruining things for everyone else.

 

Try celebrity. It was the perfect mix. Well it was for us.

 

Celebrity would be my recommendation as well. More upscale than the average mass market line, with generally a middle age clientele, a sophisticated but not too sedate atmosphere, and is absolutely not a "party boat" vibe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bud88 said:

Wow!!  Thank you all so much! You've given me so much more information than I thought I'd get. Unfortunately, many of these cruise lines don't operate out of Los Angeles, but if it means flying somewhere to enjoy our vacation more, than here we come.

It looks like a couple good choices to try next, and am looking forward to it. We have enjoyed cruising and want to continue, and thanks to all of you, we are re-invigorated to try again.

More research is in order, like the difference between Premium and Luxury. I'm watching You Tube videos as well.

Again, thank you very much!

Want to try a shortie on Oceania from L.A.?

December 7, 2019 - seven days along coastal California from L.A. to L.A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’ve cruised Oceania a few times and no, the food is not that spectacular.  It’s good but not THAT good. 

Let's let OP decide after trying each line recommended.

BTW, here's tonight's LaReserve dinner menu on Oceania Riviera:

 

*Perlita Caviar d’Aquitaine 
with Cream of Sea Urchin
     Moët & Chandon Cuvée Dom Pérignon, 
     Epernay, France 

 

*Hoisin Sautéed Duck Foie Gras 
with Pecan and Cucumber Salad 
over Riesling Infused Watermelon
     Dönnhoff Tonschiefer Trocken QBA 
     Riesling, Nahe, Germany 

 

Culatello Gran Riserva and 
Smoked Ricotta Tricorne Ravioli 
with Pumpkin Velouté
     Valdamor Barrica Albariño,
     Rias Baixas, Spain

 

*Butter Poached Brittany Blue Lobster, 
Vegetable Nage and Beetroot Cress
     Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay,
     Carneros, Napa Valley, California

 

*Seared Kobe Beef, Valrhona Sauce, 
Franck’s Mashed Potatoes 
and Edamame Beans*
     Rocca Sveva Amarone della Valpolicella 
     Riserva DOCG, Veneto, Italy

 

Roasted Vacherin Mont d’Or 
with Grape and Truffle Salad 
     Delas Frères Marquise de la Tourette 
     Hermitage, Rhône, France

 

Berry Consommé with Lime-Ginger 
Mascarpone Ice Cream and 
Sesame Crisp
     Inniskillin Pearl Vidal Icewine 
     Niagara, Ontario, Canada

 

Amarena Cherries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, K32682 said:

The longer the cruise the better behaved the passengers in my experience.

 

I agree with this!

 

I have only been on RCCL but most of them have been 7 night cruises. The few Weekend trips were more filled with bachelor/ette parties. Otherwise, I love that RCCL is less of "party" atmosphere. Then again there is always the solarium where most of the party-type people are not there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad to see commercials for cruise lines on these forums. (See my post below)

Edited by PTMary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One person's  is another person's dead ship, LOL

 

But if you sail Carnival you are aware of their image, and you are sailing out of LA and going to Mexico Riveria, why are you surprised there aren't a ton of those that get the drink package, the result isn't just "partying" but drunk partying.

 

As others say go high end and pick your port/schedule carefully.   Nothing worse than a rich drunk person though who is DYKWIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have found celebrity to be the best for good behaviour and the food.

 

Ok. It's the only I have been on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 3:58 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let's let OP decide after trying each line recommended.

BTW, here's tonight's LaReserve dinner menu on Oceania Riviera:

 

*Perlita Caviar d’Aquitaine 
with Cream of Sea Urchin
     Moët & Chandon Cuvée Dom Pérignon, 
     Epernay, France 

 

*Hoisin Sautéed Duck Foie Gras 
with Pecan and Cucumber Salad 
over Riesling Infused Watermelon
     Dönnhoff Tonschiefer Trocken QBA 
     Riesling, Nahe, Germany 

 

Culatello Gran Riserva and 
Smoked Ricotta Tricorne Ravioli 
with Pumpkin Velouté
     Valdamor Barrica Albariño,
     Rias Baixas, Spain

 

*Butter Poached Brittany Blue Lobster, 
Vegetable Nage and Beetroot Cress
     Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay,
     Carneros, Napa Valley, California

 

*Seared Kobe Beef, Valrhona Sauce, 
Franck’s Mashed Potatoes 
and Edamame Beans*
     Rocca Sveva Amarone della Valpolicella 
     Riserva DOCG, Veneto, Italy

 

Roasted Vacherin Mont d’Or 
with Grape and Truffle Salad 
     Delas Frères Marquise de la Tourette 
     Hermitage, Rhône, France

 

Berry Consommé with Lime-Ginger 
Mascarpone Ice Cream and 
Sesame Crisp
     Inniskillin Pearl Vidal Icewine 
     Niagara, Ontario, Canada

 

Amarena Cherries

That is an interesting menu but you did neglect to mention the extra price, on top of the somewhat steep O prices for an old Renaissance vessel with relatively small cabins.  I would love every item and DW would likely starve :).  You might consider that on Seabourn one can order free unlimited caviar and Champagne (any time at any bar) although the Champagne is certainly not of the quality of Dom Perignon.  And

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That is an interesting menu but you did neglect to mention the extra price, on top of the somewhat steep O prices for an old Renaissance vessel with relatively small cabins.  I would love every item and DW would likely starve :).  You might consider that on Seabourn one can order free unlimited caviar and Champagne (any time at any bar) although the Champagne is certainly not of the quality of Dom Perignon.  And

 

Hank

Huh?

Riviera, custom built for Oceania (along with Marina), was first launched in 2011. And even the smallest veranda cabins have great bathrooms with both doored showers AND separate bathtubs (see pic).

While the La Reserve wine pairing dinner cited above has an extra charge of under $100, few people need to pay it since it can be purchased pre-cruise with onboard credit ( which all but a very few individuals have in hand either from O or their travel agent). Of course, they always sell out. 

The Renaissance ships you refer to number four and are all recently/currently going through the Oceania NEXT total interior remodels (even Sirena, which was the former Ocean Princess - albeit with a $40 million upgrade upon its acquisition only several years ago.

BTW, two new Allura class ships are due in 2022 and 2025, each about the same size as Riviera but with larger passenger accommodations (dropping the passenger load from 1200 to 1100) while still maintaining the largest food related space per passenger of any cruise line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Huh?

Riviera, custom built for Oceania (along with Marina), was first launched in 2011. And even the smallest veranda cabins have great bathrooms with both doored showers AND separate bathtubs (see pic).

While the La Reserve wine pairing dinner cited above has an extra charge of under $100, few people need to pay it since it can be purchased pre-cruise with onboard credit ( which all but a very few individuals have in hand either from O or their travel agent). Of course, they always sell out. 

The Renaissance ships you refer to number four and are all recently/currently going through the Oceania NEXT total interior remodels (even Sirena, which was the former Ocean Princess - albeit with a $40 million upgrade upon its acquisition only several years ago.

BTW, two new Allura class ships are due in 2022 and 2025, each about the same size as Riviera but with larger passenger accommodations (dropping the passenger load from 1200 to 1100) while still maintaining the largest food related space per passenger of any cruise line.

Don't get me wrong, DW and I both really loved the Ren ships back when they were R1-R8.  However, the cabins on those ships (sorry for my confusion about the Riviera) are just not what I expect on a line that charges "O" prices.   The two Allura class ships have our attention and who knows...if we live that long :).  We have lately been on some kind of weird quest to try more cruise lines (16 so far) and both O and Viking Ocean (we have been on one of their river cruises) are on our future radar.  We are also quite excited about MSC's future new builds that will be essentially Yacht Club in quality.  And then there are the two small future Seabourn ships (which will comply with the PC6 Polar standards)!  So many new ships and so little time.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Don't get me wrong, DW and I both really loved the Ren ships back when they were R1-R8.  However, the cabins on those ships (sorry for my confusion about the Riviera) are just not what I expect on a line that charges "O" prices.   The two Allura class ships have our attention and who knows...if we live that long :).  We have lately been on some kind of weird quest to try more cruise lines (16 so far) and both O and Viking Ocean (we have been on one of their river cruises) are on our future radar.  We are also quite excited about MSC's future new builds that will be essentially Yacht Club in quality.  And then there are the two small future Seabourn ships (which will comply with the PC6 Polar standards)!  So many new ships and so little time.

 

Hank

We're yacht sailors. So, cabin size for us is relative.

Here's the Riviera head pic I forgot to upload on my earlier post (tub/shower on right and shower on left but not completely visible). 

Note as well than some basic B3 balcony cabins have extended balconies (see additional pic).IMG_9874.thumb.JPG.8d3dae28826107eff12f2f3ede463c05.JPG

 

IMG_0826.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We're yacht sailors. So, cabin size for us is relative.

Here's the Riviera head pic I forgot to upload on my earlier post (tub/shower on right and shower on left but not completely visible). 

Note as well than some basic B3 balcony cabins have extended balconies (see additional pic).IMG_9874.thumb.JPG.8d3dae28826107eff12f2f3ede463c05.JPG

 

IMG_0826.JPG

The head does is not nearly as nice as what we had on the Seabourn Soujourn.  On their regular cabins (all suites) we had a double sink, full size bathtub, and a separate shower.   But our favorite head was in the Signature Suites (the smallest suites) on the recently sold HAL Prinsendam.   That had a two room head with the commode and sink in a separate room (accessible via two doors) and other room holding another sink (double) and tub/shower.    On the other hand, compared to what you get on most boats its all good :).   DW has never let me forget when I dragged her on a Yacht cruise (very old yacht) in the Ionian islands and you could not flush anything down the marine toilet.  Even the used toilet paper had to go into a nearby garbage can!

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Oceania head is ugly.  It looks like something from a Carnival ship.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...