4 night weekend cruises out of NJ

1 hour ago, LINDAE3213 said:

I did the 3 nighter anthem in 2016 with a group...it was a fun way to celebrate my sister's 50th bday that weekend.  Before that there was a 2 nighter Quantum..in Nov  prob 2014 or so that I took my nephew on so he could see that class of ship without missing any of his college classes.  Then the rules changed and the nowhere cruises were no more.

Fun!

I did a cruise to nowhere YEARS ago on the original love boat... was my first cruise and loved cruising ever since.

It's a shame not everyone has an opportunity to partake in the experience more often because of school/work/life schedules.

I really think short cruises out of NE ports would be very popular

7 hours ago, dswallow said:

I think the point was that Bermuda is not too far for a 4-night cruise as they actually are doing it in 4 nights from Boston. It's not like the laws of Physics were temporarily suspended to make the shortened cruise possible. 🙂

7 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Yes, that was exactly my point.  It is doable.

But that had been established several times in the posts before this one.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Port envy will get you nowhere.  Three night cruises out of NE ports are impossible.  Period.

You could move to Florida if it is that important to you.

Take other kinds of weekend trips.

Life is what it is.

I wasn't lamenting lack of 3 night cruises.  I specifically mentioned 4 night sailings or lack thereof on RCCL as opposed to other lines.

If Royal thought they could make money on them, they'd do them.

I think the biggest issue is, what do you do with the other three days of the week? 

Typically, cruises are "uniform" in some way so that they can be repeated on a regular basis.  Some ships do an 8-day itinerary one week and a 6-day itinerary the next week, so that they stay on an every-two-weeks schedule.  Others do a 5-5-4 pattern, and most do a 7-7 pattern.  

If a 4-day cruise were offered, say Friday NYC/NJ embarkation, one day in Bermuda, and Tuesday NYC/NJ debarkation, what would they do with the ship from Tuesday afternoon to Friday morning? They'd likely have to do a 10-day itinerary next, in order to accommodate the next 4-day cycle on an every-two-weeks basis... is there enough demand for 10-day cruises out of NYC/NJ every two weeks?

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

If Royal thought they could make money on them, they'd do them.

I think the biggest issue is, what do you do with the other three days of the week? 

Typically, cruises are "uniform" in some way so that they can be repeated on a regular basis.  Some ships do an 8-day itinerary one week and a 6-day itinerary the next week, so that they stay on an every-two-weeks schedule.  Others do a 5-5-4 pattern, and most do a 7-7 pattern.  

If a 4-day cruise were offered, say Friday NYC/NJ embarkation, one day in Bermuda, and Tuesday NYC/NJ debarkation, what would they do with the ship from Tuesday afternoon to Friday morning? They'd likely have to do a 10-day itinerary next, in order to accommodate the next 4-day cycle on an every-two-weeks basis... is there enough demand for 10-day cruises out of NYC/NJ every two weeks?

4/10

4/10/7/7

or same 5/5/4 - there are plenty of 5 day bermuda on rccl. I think it's the adventure doing them now.

I'm not an expert or responsible for RCCL schedules, just my opinion that people with a NE port would be more likely to cruise more often if flying & work/school didn't stand in the way.  I know I'm looking at my next cruise in January - despite the fact that I would like to do a short one much sooner.  Next one after that will be June - again would love to squeeze a short one in that 6 month period - but I can't because of time constraints and having to fly 4 people for a 3 night cruise is not worth the effort (or expense for value).

I may look into NCL. Never cruised them before and prefer staying loyal to royal, but we'll see.

I think there is enough of a market for people in the same situation as I am within a short enough driving distance of port.

Being in Michigan, I also have to fly to any cruise.  I get that -- I won't do anything less than a 7-day in order to get my money's worth out of the airfare expenditure.

I just don't know that there would be enough interest in 5-day cruises, particularly once the weather gets beyond summertime (who wants to cruise in a coat for five days?).  And same for 10-day cruises... families tend to do the weeklong cruise and nothing more, and retirees who do the longer cruises tend to already live in Florida.  

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

4/10

4/10/7/7

or same 5/5/4 - there are plenty of 5 day bermuda on rccl. I think it's the adventure doing them now.

I'm not an expert or responsible for RCCL schedules, just my opinion that people with a NE port would be more likely to cruise more often if flying & work/school didn't stand in the way.  I know I'm looking at my next cruise in January - despite the fact that I would like to do a short one much sooner.  Next one after that will be June - again would love to squeeze a short one in that 6 month period - but I can't because of time constraints and having to fly 4 people for a 3 night cruise is not worth the effort (or expense for value).

I may look into NCL. Never cruised them before and prefer staying loyal to royal, but we'll see.

I think there is enough of a market for people in the same situation as I am within a short enough driving distance of port.

That will not fly with the passengers. A ten day cruise that you're suggesting would cost 9 vacation days, four for Tues thru Fri, and then five more for the following Mon thru Fri. Personally, I wouldn't spend nine vacation days for  ten night cruise. Most other people wouldn't do it either. Leaving on a Saturday and returning the following Tuesday would only cost 7 vacation days which is more palatable.

Edited by mets123
Spelling

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Being in Michigan, I also have to fly to any cruise.  I get that -- I won't do anything less than a 7-day in order to get my money's worth out of the airfare expenditure.

I just don't know that there would be enough interest in 5-day cruises, particularly once the weather gets beyond summertime (who wants to cruise in a coat for five days?).  And same for 10-day cruises... families tend to do the weeklong cruise and nothing more, and retirees who do the longer cruises tend to already live in Florida.  

Like I said, not an expert or anything but ncl & carnival have a whole bunch of these scheduled. Maybe it’s a different clientele that likes this itinerary? I don’t know.

2 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Like I said, not an expert or anything but ncl & carnival have a whole bunch of these scheduled. Maybe it’s a different clientele that likes this itinerary? I don’t know.

Two of three a year is not a !ot. We get it, it's something you would like more of. Contact Royal, and stop trying to convince us.

• Like 1

Currently the Empress of the Seas 7-night cruises to Bermuda are cheaper than NCL and Carnival's 4-nights. One of the big draws of the Bermuda cruises for me is having an overnight port--I hate feeling rushed through exploring a port to get back onto the ship. The night carnivals at the Royal Navy Dockyard are so fun.  I feel the 4-night cruises to Bermuda are hardly worth the effort.

1 hour ago, hp_slash said:

Currently the Empress of the Seas 7-night cruises to Bermuda are cheaper than NCL and Carnival's 4-nights. One of the big draws of the Bermuda cruises for me is having an overnight port--I hate feeling rushed through exploring a port to get back onto the ship. The night carnivals at the Royal Navy Dockyard are so fun.  I feel the 4-night cruises to Bermuda are hardly worth the effort.

It’s a matter if preference but I won’t cruise the empress. Too smal/not enough amenities.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 12:17 AM, seasidemama said:

4/10

4/10/7/7

I agree.  If an Oasis class (even a Quantum class) ship homeported in Boston, I'd be cruising 4x per year.  Short or long itinerary would depend on the time of year.

Oasis class: May - September

Quantum class: October - April

Edited by soremekun

3 hours ago, hp_slash said:

Funny that... one of the reasons I dislike Bermuda as a port on a sailing is how it tends to be overnight or even multi-overnight in port. If you want to sit in the port for 3 days, fly in and get a hotel. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dswallow said:

Funny that... one of the reasons I dislike Bermuda as a port on a sailing is how it tends to be overnight or even multi-overnight in port. If you want to sit in the port for 3 days, fly in and get a hotel. 🙂

agreed. Only looking at Bermuda for port convenience. That's why I prefer the bigger ships - so I don't feel I have to leave the ship to enjoy my vacation..

• Like 1