Climbing steps of Acropolis v Climbing Leaning Tower of Pisa

Crazy planning mom

My husband and I climbed the Leaning Tower 2 years ago and the Acropolis last May.  We are in our 60s.  For us, the Acropolis was an easier climb in terms of the steps and you can rest along the way.  There are several "flights of stairs" with sloping pathways between.  In climbing the Tower I also had to stop and rest along the way.  I was concerned about the Acropolis climb, but the climb itself was easier than I anticipated.  What can make the Acropolis climb difficult is that you are outdoors in the sun as opposed to inside a tower sheltered from the sun and depending on the time of year, that can be a big factor.  There is also no shade within the Acropolis itself, so have water, sunscreen and hats.  Have shoes with good traction as the marble can be slippery.   Depending on time of year and time of day you go, the Acropolis may be much more crowded than the Leaning Tower as there is a limit to the number of people at each time slot at the Tower.  Having said all this, we found the Acropolis to be awe inspiring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both IMHO are doable by people that are reasonable fit.   Acropolis downside is outside and can be hot but wide and easy with some unstable steps and such, Pisa is something all together different, steep narrow, covered and often two way on smooth worn steps.   I put Pisa into much more difficult only because of the crowding and limited opportunity to stop and rest.

The Acropolis will be much easier as it is a system of both steps and walkways.  There are also nice benches spotted along the route where you can take a rest and enjoy the view before continuing onto your goal.

Hank

• 3 months later...

Never did the Leaning Tower steps, but the Acropolis steps were a breeze. In our group, we had a 85 year old and he did fine. The initial walk up was long ramps with sporadic steps. The final walk into the Acropolis was steep but not that long. Not an issue at all. I don't like heights and I had no problem with the steps.

You do have to watch your step once you are on top as the rocks are uneven. But it was crowded the day we were there, I didn't see anyone having a problem. 

The Acropolis was a big thrill to us and it shouldn't be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

The Acropolis is a completely different experience then climbing steps in a confined tower.  The Acropolis "steps" is actually a pretty long walkway with some slopes, straightaways, steps, etc.  In many areas is it not too steep and there are benches along the route for those who want to take their time or simply stop for a rest.   For those who do it on their own you can simply set your own pace and enjoy the experience.  We also strongly recommend the relatively new Acropolis Museum (on a street near the base) which is very well done.

Hank