Taking a child on cruise with Dad and Step-mom

Dreams42Day

Good Afternoon fellow cruisers- My husband and I plan to take his 13 yo son (I am step-mom) with us on a cruise. His son has his mother's last name. We do have a passport for him. Will we have any problems getting him on and off the ship (or at any of the ports) due to the different last name? Should we plan to bring custody paperwork or some other kind of paperwork to avoid problems? 

Just like anything else, this is a "better safe, than sorry" situation.**

Download the following form:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Print it out, fill it in, have it notarized, and carry a few copies....just to be sure.

BTW...don't forget that you will also need a photocopy of the custodial parent's ID as noted on the bottom of the form.

** I say better safe because you don't NEED the form if at least one parent is traveling with the child, but I suggest getting it anyway...you won't be penalized for having it.

Edited by SeaShark
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

Good Afternoon fellow cruisers- My husband and I plan to take his 13 yo son (I am step-mom) with us on a cruise. His son has his mother's last name. We do have a passport for him. Will we have any problems getting him on and off the ship (or at any of the ports) due to the different last name? Should we plan to bring custody paperwork or some other kind of paperwork to avoid problems? 

Yes, need a signed note from his mother that states that she is ok with him taking the child on the cruise.  When my stepson was younger, my wife had to do this as well.

I also have a step son and when we took him out of the country we always made sure we had a notarized form signed by his mother which states that his mother was aware of where we were going and granted permission. I’m in Canada and I found the form on our government website but I’m sure there must be forms available on US government websites that serve the same purpose.

Ok let me add to this discussion. We are taking our granddaughters next year so both parents need to sign and supply ids. Anything else anyone can think of? Hate to fly all the way to Miami and find there is a problem.

Edited by phillyguy31
I can't spell.

1 hour ago, phillyguy31 said:

Ok let me add to this discussion. We are taking our granddaughters next year so both parents need to sign and supply ids. Anything else anyone can think of? Hate to fly all the way to Miami and find there is a problem.

I cruise with my three grandsons. I would also take a power of attorney allowing you to authorize medical care for the children...also, you will want copies of their Medical Insurance cards.

Another good idea is to laminate (or get someone to laminate for you) a card with your name, phone number, ship, cabin number, and a contact number for Mom/Dad. Put this in the child's pocket...in case they get lost, or something happens, nobody has to remember the important details.

1 hour ago, phillyguy31 said:

Get medical powers of attorneys in the event you have to consent quickly for some medical treatment, or even for something as mild as an ear infection.

I recently sailed the Gem with my 6 year old who has her dad's last name (he couldn't come due to work).  We (my daughter and myself) both have passports, but I got a notarized letter from him just to be safe.  No one batted an eye in Bermuda getting on / off the ship.  Not sure about other ports, but it was all good on our end.

Just returned from a cruise with our granddaughter.  Needed the form from NCL giving permission for child to cruise signed by parents.  Did not need it notarized.  Also needed original birth certificate (she had no passport) and photo copies of parents drivers license.