MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

5 minutes ago, jbeth said:

Have had conflicting reports!

What is the dress code for MDRs on non formal nights?

Lunch and dinner

Hawaii cruise

Nice shorts and shirt for men? 

Same for women?

Thanks!!!

Dinner.......No shorts!

Definitely a shirt!

Women are good to go with anything and are unimpeded for BLD

What ship?

This topic could go downhill in a hurry. Be prepared.  🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

OK, I'll bite ... does that matter only because who the Maitre D is in charge , and may or may not enforce the dress code

Yes.

Adding spice to the debate......ish.

You know someone will say oh yeah on this ship they allow this and that.  🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, riffatsea said:

The general rule is anything goes but no shorts at dinner.

Other than that I've not seen anyone turned away  wearing t shirts or sneakers (men) or anything else.

During lunch the only thing is to cover up swim suits.

Don't stress about clothing!!

Shoes of some sort need to be worn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the evening I wear Dockers or something similar and a collared shirt, usually a camp shirt / madras or something similar, always short sleeves.  A pair of casual loafers and I'm all set.  For formal nights I swap out the short sleeve for long and call it good enough.

For lunch it's nearly always a polo / shorts / reef sandals.  That's my daytime basic attire whether at home or on ship.  

I've only run afoul of the dining room police once, when I wore a ball cap in for lunch and was asked to remove it.  I'm not sure the windblown mop I exposed by doing so was any sort of upgrade, but I complied without complaint nonetheless.

Oh, and I've been told repeatedly that shorts are permitted (not encouraged but permitted) first night / last night to accommodate those who may not have received their luggage / have already packed their luggage. I'll be testing this myself in a couple weeks on Royal. . . 

Edited by jondfk
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jbeth said:

Lunch and dinner

Hawaii cruise

Same for women?

Thanks!!!

No shorts in the dining rooms at night. Exception the buffet. Basically, it's "Smart Casual". Slacks & a collared shirt. Long or short sleeve, your choice. Hawaiian shirts/Guayabera shirts are fine, too. For formal nights, a tux is NOT needed. Check out Youtube for videos on Princess & then decide how you want to do formal nights. We're on the Star Princess for Jan. 28. Cancelled a 12 night trip on Oceania Rivera(not my choice!!)I just hope it measures up. We're booked in a Club Class minisuite(really just a larger verandah cabin)for the slightly better amenities I hope it provides. Really love Oceania, but the Hubby dug in his heels. I told him if it doesn't measure up, he can scream in the mirror!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

In the evening I wear Dockers or something similar and a collared shirt, usually a camp shirt / madras or something similar, always short sleeves.  A pair of casual loafers and I'm all set.  For formal nights I swap out the short sleeve for long and call it good enough.

For lunch it's nearly always a polo / shorts / reef sandals.  That's my daytime basic attire whether at home or on ship.  

I've only run afoul of the dining room police once, when I wore a ball cap in for lunch and was asked to remove it.  I'm not sure the windblown mop I exposed by doing so was any sort of upgrade, but I complied without complaint nonetheless.

Oh, and I've been told repeatedly that shorts are permitted (not encouraged but permitted) first night / last night to accommodate those who may not have received their luggage / have already packed their luggage. I'll be testing this myself in a couple weeks on Royal. . . 

Yeah, do leave the ball cap in the room. Looks crappy when dining out, or at least remove it once you're inside.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

This has been our experience too and we have been on a number of Caribbean cruises where passengers wore dress shorts in the dining room at nights....I guess it all depends on who is at the door....evidently there is the letter of the law and then spirit of the law on Princess....but there can never be enough "MDR Dress Code Forums!"

Edited by PrincessLuver

3 hours ago, jbeth said:

Lunch and dinner

Hawaii cruise

Same for women?

Thanks!!!

For breakfast & lunch almost anything goes for both men & women. Shorts, T shirts and I've even seen robes (although this is a rare sight).

At dinner time jeans, T shirts or dress shirt's are OK but unfortunately shorts are not allowed for the men, only women. Basically the women can wear what they like on any evening without conflict.

That being said, on the CB they were allowing shorts for the men at dinner last year and I've also read recently that they still accept them for everyone although this can change at any time. 

btw- on the first & last night shorts can be worn by all for dinner.

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

13 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

This has been our experience too and we have been on a number of Caribbean cruises where passengers wore dress shorts in the dining room at nights....I guess it all depends on who is at the door....evidently there is the letter of the law and then spirit of the law on Princess....but there can never be enough "MDR Dress Code Forums!"

Great time to visit the buffet.

We were on the Caribbean Princess July27th-Aug9th and we saw a real down grade on the way people dressed in the dinning room with men in shorts that were not even dress shorts and women wearing shorts where half there (trunks)were hanging out.It made me realize that the dinning room is not what it used to be.

Princess suggested dress code states long trousers for men at dinner in MDR.

However, enforcement depends on location and maitre d'.

Our two Princess cruises this year were very different.

Majestic Princess in March,  Ausralia and Asia...no chance of wearing tailored shorts. Many turned away from MDR for trying to get in wearing them...but tatty joggers and scruffy football shirts were allowed.

Caribbean Princess in July, in Caribbean....tailored shorts were allowed in MDR.

Didn't see anyone looking unkept.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keithm said:

Yeah, do leave the ball cap in the room. Looks crappy when dining out, or at least remove it once you're inside.

One should always remove their hat when dining anyway, even if you're at a McDonald's....   It's just common courtesy.  :classic_smile:

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"What to wear on Formal Night" threads are almost as much fun as "Tipping" threads on TripAdvisor.

There is a) what you are supposed to wear b) what you can get away with and c) what you should wear.

Me? I am Hawaiian shirt and shorts guy anytime I am not in my financial guy suit. I wear suits so much, on vacation I love to wear shorts whenever, wherever I can. I would love to wear my Hawaiian shirt and tailored shorts to the MDR, even on Formal Night and for the life of me I can't see how what I am wearing effects someone else's meal. In fact, it might even enhance it, because it gives the old biddies something to carp on about.

That said, I do believe in a social contract that says there are norms we should conform to and sometimes it is important to sublimate our own desires for the good of the whole. So in the MDR for dinner I put on khaki or grey slack and on formal nights I wear a blazer over the Hawaiian shirt. I've managed to survive these assaults to my personal freedom.

Could someone getaway with wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner on a Hawaii cruise? Possibly, I've seen it before. Cruise lines are reflecting the changing attitudes towards dress in the U.S. My profession, Investment Management, is one of the few professions, along with Banking, where daily suit wearing is the norm. Not even my lawyer friends wear suits daily unless they are in court or a client meeting. Few of the institutional clients I work with are ever in suits. I'd guess 80% of the male population under 30 don't know how to tie a tie and only 3% could ever tie a bow tie.

If dressing up is a big deal, and I know it is for some people, then I'd recommend upgrading from the mid-tier cruise lines to Seabourn, Crystal, Cunard Transatlantic, Silversea, et al where the dress code is still very rigid.

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If dressing up is a big deal, and I know it is for some people, then I'd recommend upgrading from the mid-tier cruise lines to Seabourn, Crystal, Cunard Transatlantic, Silversea, et al where the dress code is still very rigid.

I believe some of those are smart casual - or rather, "country club" casual - last time I checked.