Coco Cay smells bad

Gary1960

Many replies here are missing the point. This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. To use other islands problems as an excuse is pathetic and easy way for RC not to spend the money.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

Many replies here are missing the point. This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. To use other islands problems as an excuse is pathetic and easy way for RC not to spend the money.

I'm not sure we are the ones missing the point here.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

Really?  Should they pull their staff from the relief efforts on the other islands to clean this up for you?  It isn't as easy to clean up as you believe.  Mexico has been having this problem for years with the sea grass and although big AI resorts try to tackle the problem it isn't so easy to clean up.  They can clean it today but since the ocean has current it can be back tomorrow.  It will take months for the waters around the islands to get back to normal after the hurricane. 

Alert others of the smell but don't criticize the clean-up effort.  They are doing what they can.  Would you have preferred to skip Coco Cay?  Then stay on the ship and make it a sea day.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

I would defiantly be canceling any cabana or other activities I had booked and stay on the ship. It's hurricane season and one needs to be flexible. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Royal Caribbean to take action.

All of the cruise lines are donating money to the Islands that were hit and they will come back better than before. No bleeding heart here as people on Long Island and New Jersey are still rebuilding from Sandy that destroyed their homes in 2012 with no help from a cruise line or the federal government. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 9

Yes they are billion dollar company, diverting assets and very much focused on providing relief aid to the islands 100 miles away that were devastated.  The day you were at CocoCay they were in Freeport delivering tens of thousands of meals and other relief supplies.

The vast majority of employees on CocoCay are from the Bahamas.  Some of them lost homes, some of them have family that lost homes, some of them may have lost their lives in their homes.  Some of the employees that were not affected were at CocoCay trying to make sure you have a great vacation.  Some of their coworkers may have not gone to work so they could participate in search and rescue or volunteer to provide other forms of assistance to their countrymen in need.

Sargossa happens, to Florida, to the Caribbean, to Mexico and to the Bahamas.  

I suppose if a natural disaster were to occur in your home town you'll be completely understanding if no one shows up to provide assistance because everyone has something else to do to keep self-centered and demanding customers like you appeased 100 miles away.   

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

Yes it is a third world country . It is leased by a large company but the local avable resources are most likely looking to recover missing people with 20 plus recovered there is alot to go . The staff of Coco Cay just might be a tad busy with some more pressing issues than your problem with seaweed and smell they have the smell of death with diseases to follow no home or water and a shortage of food . Just saying. 

God Bless those poor soles, RIP ✝️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gary1960 said:

You’ve been a lurker on this board for 17 years and this is how you choose to crawl out of the woodwork? Klassy. 

Have some one compassion and, if you really can’t handle the inconvenience of a non-pristine beach after a cat 5 hurricane stalled over a region for 48 hours, then save everyone the headache and stay on the boat. 

Talk about first world problems. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

nobody but you is missing the point.

how much exactly would it cost for you forget about your friends, family, and home to go clean up a beach so that  some self centered *****  j a c k a s s doesn't have to be bothered by some sea grass?

Edited by proggieus
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Luxury Island?   LOL, surely you meant to say "amusement park." 

Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive to your aversion to seaweed.  Perhaps instead of cruising the Caribbean, you could give Las Vegas a try for your next vacation.  Guaranteed to be almost 100% seaweed free! 👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

The hurricane has pushed up a lot of seaweed into the beach areas. It feels disgusting underfoot and the stench of rotten eggs is overpowering. They need to dredge this out asap.

2 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Boy, you just don't know when to stop digging, do you?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Problem can and does occur anywhere.  Certainly have been to both Costa Maya and Cozumel where water hard to see through the gook.  Part of cruising.

Obvious solution is to tell people their cruises won't be stopping at Coco Cay because one person complained about smell.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

You’ve been a lurker on this board for 17 years and this is how you choose to crawl out of the woodwork? Klassy. 

Have some one compassion and, if you really can’t handle the inconvenience of a non-pristine beach after a cat 5 hurricane stalled over a region for 48 hours, then save everyone the headache and stay on the boat. 

Talk about first world problems. 

Well said but I would have put it slightly less subtly

Your are a #### "sir", go and troll else where

• Like 3

"This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. "

It is a luxury island IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.  With a workforce, many who live/d on a hurricane devastated island.  Many who have lost everything they owned and perhaps family members.  Maybe their staff numbers are down?  Maybe some of them died?

Sure you can throw money at it, but a lot of that is staff centric- ie labor costs.  And hard to find extra labor at the moment when many of the potential workforce are refugees.

So just get over yourself, and be a little patient.

• Like 2

Perhaps the band that sings “Perfect Day” for the first two hours after a ship arrives should change the lyrics for when Gary returns in 3 weeks.

They could sing  

Since there a sea grass smell,

it’s going to be a so-so day, so-so day

for Gary at Perfect Day at CoCo Cay.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Besides your obvious incorrect information as to the ownership of the island, you do realize that said island, even if it was owned by RCI, is not part of the US, and therefore any environmental laws concerning dredging would be Bahamian laws, which since you feel you know the situation so well you must be entirely familiar with.  Discounting your disregard of the suffering of the labor force that would be used to do your entitled work.  And disregarding your complete lack of understanding of business practices like cost/reward, where the cost (and time) to get permitting to dredge, get the equipment on site (I guess you know where some equipment is sitting around waiting for a customer?), and then to do the work and dispose of the spoils, outweighs the reward of changing the attitude of a few unsatisfied, entitled, guests, to a situation that may well resolve itself in a couple of weeks, and any intangible benefit derived from this action.  You do know that it took RCI several years to get environmental permitting for the pier there?

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

They weren't missing the point, they just saw something to get outraged about and got all excited that they get to reply.  That is about all that cruise critic is these days.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

When nature makes a mess......it will usually clean itself.  Cruise lines sail in the Caribbean, and every year, one island is hit hard.  I was in Key West, Havana, and St Martin after hurricanes.  It wasn't the same place.  It was damaged.  Beaches were eroded.  Buildings damaged.  But it survived with time.  So the oceans will continue to move the seaweed and dead fish.  It will rebound.  In the mean time, resources on the islands are being used for more important tasks, where needed.  Eventually it will work out....but in the mean time - enjoy the stench

I'm going to take a different approach in my reply -  Thank you to OP for saving me money on a cabana (going this weekend)-  No doubt I would have been disappointed if I had to smell dead fish all afternoon...  That being said, I agree with many other posters that IF RCCL could resolve the problem quickly, then surely they would.   Things happen -  BEYOND their control.   I have no doubt that I can enjoy the Island and its many amenities without being beach-side.   

A better use of my $ at this point would be to get to know someone on the Island or boat that IS from the affected area and tip them accordingly.  

• Like 3

It's a no win situation for RC.

If they skip CocoCay they have to deal with irate passengers who say "I saw the photos, the place wasn't damaged that much, I spent money for this trip specifically to go there"

If they don't skip CocoCay they have to deal with irate passengers who say "the place was still a mess from the hurricane and smelled like south Jersey at low tide"  (let's hope they never get a southerly pushing breeze and the stench of death from Grand Bahama makes it to the island  😉  everyone would be wishing it was only rotten eggs then)

I think we all should take a minute and talk about something that everyone has missed.  The darn balloon isn't going to be flying for months because it is a REAL helium balloon!  Why would they use a real helium balloon and not a simple propane driven one!  I mean $300k for the helium to re-inflate it....that's alot of gas.....