Coco Cay smells bad

Gary1960

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I will be there next month. I think they will improve the cleanup each and every day. I think we do need to be patient, it's only been a week and Dorian was a nasty hurricane. I saw some video from a FB Live feed from Saturday and it looked remarkably good. There was no mention of smell but the video was taken around the walk ways leading up to the pool.

Can you post a link to the video you watched please.

49 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Why would they use a real helium balloon and not a simple propane driven one!  I mean $300k for the helium to re-inflate it....that's alot of gas.....

Not to mention, there is an extreme helium shortage currently (which is funny since it is the most abundant gas in the universe!)

The good part of using helium in this balloon, if hurricanes we not a factor, they would only have to reinflate every 3 years or so. I learned this from the similar balloon that is in Disney Springs.

Here in our County in Florida we get this every year and it last for weeks if not months.

After Irma we had it like that for 2 1/2 months....it's just something everyone needs to deal with.

It's nature can really change it.

It's ugly and smelly but not much to do about it but slowly clean it up and pray it doesn't come back!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Many replies here are missing the point. This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. To use other islands problems as an excuse is pathetic and easy way for RC not to spend the money.

And yet, it is NOT billionaires or millionaires LIVING on the island.  Everyone working there lives somewhere else.

All food supplies, beverages, tools etc. come out from other islands.  They all have families to take care of and other things that need to be done in light of the storm.   Please don't complain about your olfactory sensitivity and squishy feet feel.  Six months from now you MAY have a minor case to be taken up with island management. When I'm there in February, I might back you up.  Right now, hold your nose, were sneakers and grin and bear it.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And yet, it is NOT billionaires or millionaires LIVING on the island.  Everyone working there lives somewhere else.

All food supplies, beverages, tools etc. come out from other islands.  They all have families to take care of and other things that need to be done in light of the storm.   Please don't complain about your olfactory sensitivity and squishy feet feel.  Six months from now you MAY have a minor case to be taken up with island management. When I'm there in February, I might back you up.  Right now, hold your nose, were sneakers and grin and bear it.

Pay for outside contractors to come and remove the seaweed job done simple stop making this a criticism of the staff and people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Many replies here are missing the point. This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. To use other islands problems as an excuse is pathetic and easy way for RC not to spend the money.

Sorry Gary but you have totally missed the point and I don't think anyone will be successful in changing your mind. Sad!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let’s reposition a lot of heavy equipment that could be used for rescue and recovery on Abaco and Grand Bahama so I can have a pristine, synthetic Disney-like experience on a totally manufactured island. Hey, I paid good American money for this phoney experience!

P.S. Does anyone know if there are any more $999 cabanas available??

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

Pay for outside contractors to come and remove the seaweed job done simple stop making this a criticism of the staff and people.

So going on your suggestion they should...

• Throw it in the ocean, only to have it wash up again?
  • Use a barge to take it away, but to where? 
  • Have outside contractors on call all year just in case?

On a more realistic front how about the following suggestions.

• Take a nose clip that swimmers use, to stop the smell.  A nose clip at the ocean is not uncommon.
  • Stay on board the mainly empty ship until the situation improves to your liking.
  • Change future itineraries for cruises that don't go to CoCo Cay.

Actually these suggestions above could/should work in all the Caribbean ports, as sea grass can be found at many of the islands. Some like Costa Maya have more of it than others.  

The Boy Scouts said it best, "Semper Paratus".  

Since you were returning in three weeks and now are aware, you should be "Always Ready".

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

Aside from being completely tone deaf, you're missing the larger picture here.

Hurricanes churn up all kinds of stuff in the ocean and Dorian passed right through a massive belt of it on his way to the Bahamas. Of course there is going to be Seaweed washed up on the shorelines. Aside from that, it's been a massive problem in the Caribbean since ~2015. Uncontrolled fertilizer runoff and warmer ocean water have made the issue 10x worse than it used to be.

So to address your entitled attitude here:

• Dredging won't do anything. All that does is moves earth from one point to another.
  • Remove the Seaweed to where? Another part of the island?
  • Lastly, do what? Take away resources where they are desperately needed because you can't deal with a stench?

56 minutes ago, Gary1960 said:

You are beyond belief.  They should pull the contractors from Hurricane destroyed islands to clean up Mother Natures deposits.  How much did you contribute to the Relief fund?  Bahamian citizens lost their homes, their loved ones, and every one of their possessions and you are so selfish or uninformed you can't understand.  Having lived in FL for almost 60 years and experienced Mother Natures wrath I only wish I was able bodied enough to go to the Islands to help.  RCL has been sending ships to Freport almost every day with food and supplies as have other cruise lines.  I believe that is far more important than cleaning up the beaches for you.  Bless You.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Boy Scouts were "Be Prepared".  Semper Paratus is the motto of our fine USCG.

Thanks Chief for the clarification.

Google has left me “aspiciens stultum”.  😂

Both are great institutions, and prepared.😉👍

• Like 1