Coco Cay smells bad

Gary1960

2 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Pay for outside contractors to come and remove the seaweed job done simple stop making this a criticism of the staff and people.

Truly unbelievable, I would bet those outside contractors that are anywhere near enough to do such a job are already busy dealing with life and death situations in other parts if the area.

Think it's time to shut down this whole thread as either the OP is just overly selfish and nobody is going to get them to understand or a troll looking to rile everyone up during a very unfortunate time.  Not sure which would be worse ☹.

• Like 3

A few years ago we were in playa del Carmen a few months after a hurricane had hit cozumel . things were still washing up on the shore on playa months later . big things,  small things,  random things.  what I'm saying is it really takes time and you can move it but something else is gonna be right behind it on that  Beach. It's just going to take time and patience personally if I thought it smelled that bag and was squishy I would just stay on the ship and enjoy the day  And be grateful that I have a home to go home to

Edited by Cozzette3
Misspell
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dodgestang said:

I think we all should take a minute and talk about something that everyone has missed.  The darn balloon isn't going to be flying for months because it is a REAL helium balloon!  Why would they use a real helium balloon and not a simple propane driven one!  I mean $300k for the helium to re-inflate it....that's alot of gas.....

Maybe RC should check with Gary. He seams to have an abundance of gas.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

59 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I used to come here for useful cruising advice.

Now I come here for the drama.

Just another form of entertainment - much like the national news every day.

If you think this is drama you should have been on here back during the smoking on the balcony days when people could still smoke on them! 🤓

• Haha 3

I don't think the OP is from Florida or he would be aware of the amount of debris a large storm can cause and how long it takes to remove it.  Earlier this year, we were on a cruise that went to St Thomas.  While there, one of the boat guides pointed out the landfill and mentioned that it doubled in size after the back-to-back hurricanes in 2017.  Hire outside contractors?  Every contractor in the Bahamas has their hands full right now and they have to prioritize.  

I'm surprised Coco Cay reopened as soon as it did.  There are people working really hard to get it back to normal and I'm sure they are doing the best they can.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

The hurricane has pushed up a lot of seaweed into the beach areas. It feels disgusting underfoot and the stench of rotten eggs is overpowering. They need to dredge this out asap.

21 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Its not out of their control now to get rid of it. I am back there in 3 weeks on the Harmony and I hope it has been removed by then.

17 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Many replies here are missing the point. This is not a third world country. It is a luxury island owned by a billion dollar company. All the problems can be fixed very quickly if you spend the money. To use other islands problems as an excuse is pathetic and easy way for RC not to spend the money.

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Boy, you just don't know when to stop digging, do you?

3 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

Pay for outside contractors to come and remove the seaweed job done simple stop making this a criticism of the staff and people.

Image result for when you find that you are in a hole, stop digging

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am going out on a limb but  I think we should all give the OP a break. Honestly, we know there is horrendous world tragedy every single day yet this message board goes on and on with trivial comments  about the least important issue in most anybody’s life. 

Unfortunately the  recent hurricane victims may never rebuild their lives, and families can never replace a loved one.    But, this is a message board about cruising, that dives into comments and questions that some might perceive to be the silliest non important issues. 

We know there are people suffering in the path of the recent hurricane, yet  that doesn’t stop us from asking about the bed placement on the cruise, how we get our new room keys,  drinks for diamond crown and anchor passengers,  etc. etc. etc.  

my 2 cents 

And, there was a suggestion on one of my other social media sites that we all provide  relief effort  with  some amount of money per cruise for every cruise we’ve  been on!  

M

• Like 5

How lovely that you were there 3 weeks ago, are there now and are returning in 3 weeks.  Your sensitivity to what is truly important is an inspiration to us all.  SO sorry the cleanup isn't going fast enough for you.  😞

Edited by wolfganghowell
grammar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am going out on a limb but  I think we should all give the OP a break. 

The questions you aptly suggest take up our attention are ones where no one is saying RC should drop everything to clear those issues up. Unlike the tragic smell of squishy seaweed Gary is demanding should be gone a week after a 24 hour Cat5 hurricane devastated neighboring islands.

I cut innocent mistakes and even what sometimes seem like naive idiocies a break. Not entitled ranting and double-downs like the OP's!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am going out on a limb but  I think we should all give the OP a break. Honestly, we know there is horrendous world tragedy every single day yet this message board goes on and on with trivial comments  about the least important issue in most anybody’s life. 

Unfortunately the  recent hurricane victims may never rebuild their lives, and families can never replace a loved one.    But, this is a message board about cruising, that dives into comments and questions that some might perceive to be the silliest non important issues. 

We know there are people suffering in the path of the recent hurricane, yet  that doesn’t stop us from asking about the bed placement on the cruise, how we get our new room keys,  drinks for diamond crown and anchor passengers,  etc. etc. etc.  

my 2 cents 

And, there was a suggestion on one of my other social media sites that we all provide  relief effort  with  some amount of money per cruise for every cruise we’ve  been on!  

M

If the OP came here and said "heads up the beaches at Coco Cay have some extra seaweed causing some unpleasant odors from the storms, you may want to plan for not being on the beach long if you are going soon" and left it at that there would be a completely different response.  By berating Royal and almost threatening them if it isn't cleaned up because they will be back soon they started in a hole and have gone nowhere but further down that hole since.  There is a way to bring up such issues and a way to alienate everyone.  The OP choose the second unfortunately.  I am still not sure if it was stated as it was on purpose to get a reaction or just poorly worded, I fear it was for the reaction.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, akcruz said:

If the OP came here and said "heads up the beaches at Coco Cay have some extra seaweed causing some unpleasant odors from the storms, you may want to plan for not being on the beach long if you are going soon" and left it at that there would be a completely different response.  By berating Royal and almost threatening them if it isn't cleaned up because they will be back soon they started in a hole and have gone nowhere but further down that hole since.  There is a way to bring up such issues and a way to alienate everyone.  The OP choose the second unfortunately.  I am still not sure if it was stated as it was on purpose to get a reaction or just poorly worded, I fear it was for the reaction.

+1

That pretty much sums it up. The OP started n a high horse, and got knocked down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks Chief for the clarification.

Google has left me “aspiciens stultum”.  😂

Both are great institutions, and prepared.😉👍

Nothing to feel foolish about, they are very similar, which is why I prefer the "unofficial" motto of the USCG:  "you have to go out, you don't have to come back" as it better reflects their attitude towards life at sea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dodgestang said:

I think we all should take a minute and talk about something that everyone has missed.  The darn balloon isn't going to be flying for months because it is a REAL helium balloon!  Why would they use a real helium balloon and not a simple propane driven one!  I mean $300k for the helium to re-inflate it....that's alot of gas.....

Wasn't the helium pumped back into tanks and the balloon stored away before the hurricane?

3 minutes ago, fred30 said:

Wasn't the helium pumped back into tanks and the balloon stored away before the hurricane?

I hadn't heard that but I did read somewhere that it will take them 5 weeks to reinflate it.  So, no balloon ride for me this weekend but I'm just glad we'll make it to the island.

41 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Good point. 

Honestly I didn’t mean to stir the pot  

M

18 hours ago, HOSKI said:

Really?  Should they pull their staff from the relief efforts on the other islands to clean this up for you?  It isn't as easy to clean up as you believe.  Mexico has been having this problem for years with the sea grass and although big AI resorts try to tackle the problem it isn't so easy to clean up.  They can clean it today but since the ocean has current it can be back tomorrow.  It will take months for the waters around the islands to get back to normal after the hurricane. 

Alert others of the smell but don't criticize the clean-up effort.  They are doing what they can.  Would you have preferred to skip Coco Cay?  Then stay on the ship and make it a sea day.

You are right on target here.  Some people have way too much time on their hands and way too much privilege to go along with it.  It is quite likely that workers on Coco Cay come from other islands in the Bahamas, and likely that Royal contracts with local vendors to clean up these areas.  Perhaps some workers on the island lost their primary residences. Perhaps some lost family members in the storms.  It appears Gary has forgotten that Coco Cay is not primary residence to anyone and exists for the convenience and amusement of those fortunate enough to be able to afford to cruise and have that luxury experience.

Locals who would ordinarily do clean up are otherwise occupied helping people LIVE and trying to clean up the most devastated of areas.  It's like triage. They handle the most serious cases first and then get to matters that can wait as quickly as possible.  Disaster relief takes a LONG time and goes in many stages.

I realize that Coco Cay is probably a "serious" concern for some people who have spent their money and want to enjoy the beach BUT in the grand scheme of things, some stinky seaweed is a pretty low priority when you look at displaced people and loss of lives.  It's not like Royal can't change their itinerary if they want to avoid the stinky seaweed OR it's not like people can't just choose to stay on the ship if it's a problem.   I would have absolutely no respect for Royal if they decided they were going to demand that their displaced and grieving workers clean up the beach less than a week after being hit by a devastating hurricane just because Gary1960 doesn't like the way it smells.

When it's a matter of trying to help people navigate through flood waters, avoid downed electrical lines, clean up raw sewage in highly populated areas, and clearing trees and other flying debris off what is left of their residences or other dwellings, then that is a much bigger emergency.

By the tone of his original post, I am guessing Gary1960 has never had to deal with any effects of a hurricane on a first-hand basis.  I would respectfully invite him to pitch in and help with clean-up if it's that big of a concern.  Perhaps being "boots on the ground" would help put things in perspective.   To see the devastation of property and lives really does help build empathy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BillOh said:

They weren't missing the point, they just saw something to get outraged about and got all excited that they get to reply.  That is about all that cruise critic is these days.

Nah, that's not all it's about these days. It is still about gaining valuable knowledge from good people like yourself.  I know I have done my fair share of being snarky lately, but I am blaming on hurricane stress. LOL   I am back to practicing kindness now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

my 2 cents 

M

I think it was the demanding nature of his post.  Had it been an inquiry like "How do we get room keys" or "How are the beds placed in cabin XXXX?" that would be different.

I am somewhat grateful that he alerted all to the smell so that people CAN make an informed decision and stay aboard or at least be forewarned that the smell may be overwhelming for now.  It's just the angry tone of his demands that seems to have gotten folks upset.

Edited by legaljen1969
My original post rehashed too much of what has already been said.
  • Like 2

This is not a problem specific to the Bahamas, and while the hurricane has made it worse, it's an issue all over the Caribbean. This editorial cartoon is from the Caymans.

Sargassum-return-cartoon-clr-696x575.jpg

And the world is one big, interconnected ball.   "In a recent paper, Wang’s team combined satellite data with field samples and nutrient analyses to provide evidence for possible causes of the bloom (Science 2019, DOI: 10.1126/science.aaw7912). Nutrients released by deforestation and increasing fertilizer use are entering the ocean via the Amazon River plume, where the river’s water mixes with the ocean. Meanwhile, upwelling, a natural process wherein nutrient-rich water from deep in the ocean rises to the surface, occurs off the coast of West Africa. The high concentration of nutrients in the ocean is causing the seaweed population to explode."     https://cen.acs.org/environment/sustainability/Sargassum-strangling-tourism-Caribbean-scientists/97/i34

• Like 3