Scenic Railway in St Kitts with RCCL

Lorey2007

The train runs on a tight schedule. A lot will depend on how many ships that are in port that have the train as an excursion. The time you have given will mean that you are on the first run for the train. It is a short bus ride to the train. It leaves from near the airport.  

12 hours ago, mystkittsdivebuddy said:

Yep that is pretty accurate.

No more than 10 mins from the port.

Fabulous excursion by the way.

Remember No DST in SKN So when the clocks change local time is + 1hour on ships time

Today's weather 

20190907_070622.jpg

Lovely photo thanks. I think we will be ok time wise we spring forward 1 hour in March when we will be there should be the same time.

21 hours ago, paul58 said:

The train runs on a tight schedule. A lot will depend on how many ships that are in port that have the train as an excursion. The time you have given will mean that you are on the first run for the train. It is a short bus ride to the train. It leaves from near the airport.  

Thanks I think that will leave us enough to grab a taxi and do some sight seeing for about a hour.  What could we see in that time?  I read about some look out. 

22 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks I think that will leave us enough to grab a taxi and do some sight seeing for about a hour.  What could we see in that time?  I read about some look out. 

You are thinking of Timothy Hill.

Great view of both the Caribbean and the Atlantic.

15 mins from the port, about $12 -15 dollars, less in a shared bus/taxi.

There is also a small souvenir stall that sells drinks

images.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, mystkittsdivebuddy said:

You are thinking of Timothy Hill.

Great view of both the Caribbean and the Atlantic.

15 mins from the port, about $12 -15 dollars, less in a shared bus/taxi.

There is also a small souvenir stall that sells drinks

Yes thank you that's it. Would that be $12-15 each way or can we ask for a small tour that includes Timothy Hill & return?

That's cost for the taxi each way.

Yes, you can ask for any tour, any length, we have lots of taxis and they are all tour guides. Nothing has to be fixed. Prices are negotiable but do remember that gas here is us$4.50 a gallon and the drivers only have a 8 month season in which to earn money.

Unless we have a ship that arrives at noon which is rare, you will find plenty of transportation.

The South east of the island is very scenic and is where the best of the beaches are. You also have Christophe Harbour Marina, you can enjoy an inexpensive coffee while looking at yachts that cost more then your lifetime earnings.😉

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to contact the operator of the train about securing a reservation. The train has agreements with most cruise lines and if there are many of those cruise ships in port the same day as you are in port it may be booked up. try this to contact them:

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/contact-us.html, when are you scheduled to be in Basseterre? 

2 hours ago, paul58 said:

You may want to contact the operator of the train about securing a reservation. The train has agreements with most cruise lines and if there are many of those cruise ships in port the same day as you are in port it may be booked up. try this to contact them:

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/contact-us.html, when are you scheduled to be in Basseterre? 

we are there Saturday 11/16.  Yes I've already sent an inquiry to them - now we wait!   lol

I have visited St Kitts often but it has been as a stay over visitor not as a cruiser. The train started about 10 plus years ago after the sugar industry closed down. All of the rolling stock (engines & passenger coaches where built new for this excursion). As a stay over guest it can be hard to do some of the excursions as they are booked up by the cruise lines. The train, zip line and the catamaran trips are sold out quite often.