Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Fjords Sept. 1 2019

Bimmer09

12 hours ago, macsford said:

Norris, many thanks for that great picture.

I love the whole County, the peninsula is all beautiful and what a great helicopter ride it must have been.

Sandra

Sandra, the helicopter ride was from Newtownards and when we arrived the pilot asked if we wanted to go (a) to the Mourne Mountains or (b) up to the Giant's Causeway (the usual requests). I told him neither as I wanted to fly down the beautiful Ards Peninsula on the route my high school bus took to get me home (along Strangford Lough) down to Portaferry and then over to Portavogie and up the coast to Bangor. No problem! It was 240 pounds for the 3 of us and we flew at 1,000 feet which was low enough to take photos. I knew every step of the route from ground level but never from the air. The more I write about Northern Ireland the more I want to go! Game of Thrones tour? Sign us up! Consider such a treat while you are there. 

We've taken helicopters wherever they are available and there's something worth seeing-e.g Grouse Mountain over Vancouver and Sedona, Arizona over the Red Rocks. Also landed on Taku Glacier, from Juneau in Alaska. 

Norris

• 1 month later...

Hi Norris,

I just got back from Christmas week on the Equinox- first time out of 12 Celebrity cruises that we got the drink package.

Thanks for your recommendation of dessert -coffee & Sambuca! I had this several nights with a cheese plate-that's the best dessert! 

I hope you will enjoy again on your upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

Yoshi, hope you had a great Christmas cruise!

Glad you enjoyed the coffee (espresso for me, sipped slowly like the Sambuca)

I had one on New Years Day after a  surf n turf at our local Ruth's Chris steakhouse. It hit the spot!

Stay well!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling

Happy 2020! Looking for your expert advice. When are the show times on the Silhouette?

When cruising the fjords (Flam)with at 5:30 pm departure time, what do you suggest for dining time?

My husband would like to photograph the sail out weather permitting. We will be there late June to early July so there will be long daylight hours.

Thanks for any input!

6 hours ago, somloi said:

Happy 2020! Looking for your expert advice. When are the show times on the Silhouette?

When cruising the fjords (Flam)with at 5:30 pm departure time, what do you suggest for dining time?

My husband would like to photograph the sail out weather permitting. We will be there late June to early July so there will be long daylight hours.

Thanks for any input!

Hi, somloi! Thanks for reading.

Showtimes were 7 and 9 pm so we would have had dinner between those two times.

The show in Flam becomes the sailaway, especially if you have a camera and particularly if it isn't getting dark soon after 6 as was our case. We were limited in how much Sognefjord we could savor-by the light and the cold. But you have to eat so much may depend on the show that night. We went to fewer shows than ever before in Norway as we were off the ship each day and the scenery called to us as we left each port and so we weren't inclined to rush indoors. I wouldn't want to sail the Fjords so late in the season again. Summer in Norway must be amazing!

Hope this helps.

Norris

Thanks so much Norris!

We are hoping for great weather but we will pack clothing for rain and cold too.

We may even miss dinners in the dining room on this cruise if the weather is nice sailing out of the fjords!

We are visiting London for a few days before the cruise. What theater would you recommend checking out?

31 minutes ago, somloi said:

Thanks so much Norris!

We are hoping for great weather but we will pack clothing for rain and cold too.

We may even miss dinners in the dining room on this cruise if the weather is nice sailing out of the fjords!

We are visiting London for a few days before the cruise. What theater would you recommend checking out?

The buffet is your best friend if you want to linger over the scenery and not wait to be served. Room service too.

I can't recommend any theater in London-I've maybe only been to 4 in my whole life. It all depends on what you want to enjoy inside the theater. Anywhere near Piccadilly Circus is going to give you that "West End" buzz, helped by neon and crowded sidewalks. That can add to the sense of occasion, for sure. We saw a dark comedy written by a favorite author, starring John Malcovich so we were happy and the theater (the Garrick) didn't add anything to the event. 

There is no doubt that whenever you are in London there are too many choices. It's a stunning one of a kind city. Do your research now on line. Plan ahead and enjoy. We had to go see a play in a city that is renowned for theater more than any other on the planet. Happy we did!

Savor London!

Norris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, somloi said:

I agree with Norris about going to the buffet for dinner if you're in an especially scenic area at dinner time. The buffet usually isn't as crowded for dinner and finding a window table is easy.  And it's very convenient to quickly pop out and take a few outdoor pictures when something catches your eye. My wife and I discovered this when we went to Alaska and didn't want to miss out on the scenery. It works well for us.

59 minutes ago, Jasperdo said:

I agree with Norris about going to the buffet for dinner if you're in an especially scenic area at dinner time. The buffet usually isn't as crowded for dinner and finding a window table is easy.  And it's very convenient to quickly pop out and take a few outdoor pictures when something catches your eye. My wife and I discovered this when we went to Alaska and didn't want to miss out on the scenery. It works well for us.

The other thing we discovered about the buffet for dinner is that they sometimes import fresh food from the port--fresh mussels in the French Riveria, for example.  We discovered this by accident one night when we were too tired to sit through a long dinner after a full-day tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing your Norwegian adventure with us, and I liked being able to see your Business Class experience once the photo hosting issue was solved.

Funny thing about you mentioning the pastries being free with a coffee purchase. Though I know they’re free regardless, I was really made to feel like a second class citizen for asking for a cookie without buying coffee. It was so foreign to me after the warm service I always get on Princess at the International Cafe!

Can’t wait for your Sky review! I had friends just come off of her today, and they had a blast!

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Menunes222 said:

Norris ( and Carol), I found your report in planning for my family's first cruise, the Silhouette sailing in June. What a lovely writing style and photographic eye you have! Thanks for sharing. Am looking forward to the rest.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen, thanks for the kind comments!

I'm glad you took the time to read it and hopefully it has whetted your appetite for this stunning ship.

Norris

Most definitely it has!  You have also eased my mind about my choice to explore most of the ports by foot or the local way 🙂 we have booked a boat safari in Flam and but are most likely to explore our own or take a taxi or train as opposed to organized tours at each spot. I will be taking some tips from Carol on pre purchasing a few things directly.

13 hours ago, Menunes222 said:

Most definitely it has!  You have also eased my mind about my choice to explore most of the ports by foot or the local way 🙂 we have booked a boat safari in Flam and but are most likely to explore our own or take a taxi or train as opposed to organized tours at each spot. I will be taking some tips from Carol on pre purchasing a few things directly.

Mary Ellen, I like your plan re the organized ship tours as they have their drawbacks and you can maybe use your time better by picking and choosing locally.

It looks like I will cancel the Azamara cruise we have planned for this October (Rome to Venice) as we have got tickets to the Wagner Bayreuth Festival in Germany after 7 years on the waiting list so it may be a while (a year) before I have a cruise to write about.

Meantime have yourself a great one (you will) on the Silhouette to the Fjords!

Norris

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

we have got tickets to the Wagner Bayreuth Festival in Germany after 7 years on the waiting list 

Excellent news. I know how much you and Carol were looking forward to returning there. Enjoy!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, Jasperdo said:

Excellent news. I know how much you and Carol were looking forward to returning there. Enjoy!

Jasperdo just to update- the 2020 Bayreuth Festival didn't take place and nor will the 2021 so it looks like our tickets will transfer to 2022.

We make final payment on this October's Azamara Med cruise on June 30 and either I or Az may cancel before then, in my case if there is quarantine likely . I am checking Italy France and Spain daily for any glitches/policy changes. Of course if none surface in June we will have to go on the assumption that all will be well...

Norris

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Jasperdo just to update- the 2020 Bayreuth Festival didn't take place and nor will the 2021 so it looks like our tickets will transfer to 2022.

We make final payment on this October's Azamara Med cruise on June 30 and either I or Az may cancel before then, in my case if there is quarantine likely . I am checking Italy France and Spain daily for any glitches/policy changes. Of course if none surface in June we will have to go on the assumption that all will be well...

Norris

Hi Norris,

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about this years Bayreuth Festival. At least you and Carol are still at the front of the queue.

Hopefully your October cruise will sail as scheduled. I don't think I'm ready to book a cruise just yet. Too many uncertainies for me right now. Please post a link to it here when you do your Gentleman's Journal from it. I don't want to miss it!

John 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just found this review and wanted you to know I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  I loved the detail.  We are hoping to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2022.  I say hoping because we have had so many trips cancelled due to the pandemic.

Marilee

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:50 AM, Bimmer09 said:

Yes, if I am in Bergen again I'll want to just walk around the harbor, pop down a few alleys and see what's there.

We bought only a one way ticket, and choose to walk down, through the mountain alleys, the park and the residential area.

Took us 45 minutes, and it was amazing. It was also a very beautiful day, plenty of sunshine.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, margord said:

Hi,

Just found this review and wanted you to know I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  I loved the detail.  We are hoping to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2022.  I say hoping because we have had so many trips cancelled due to the pandemic.

Marilee

Hi, just saw your comment today and wanted thank you for the kind compliments! Glad you liked the detail.

My latest cruise during Covid restrictions is in my signature below. On the Azamara Quest in the Med.

Hope you get a chance to read it.

Norris