Anti-trans experience on Royal Caribbean Jewel

CPTraveller

Since Cruise Critic doesn’t consider this enough of a review to post, I will post it here: I’ve calmed down significantly since the sailing, but I feel the need to warn people that Guest Services on this sailing was not trans friendly. We were told by Royal Caribbean in advance of sailing that our transgender traveling companion could have her preferred name added to her account so that she was addressed properly by staff. However, this did not happen and when we asked about it on board were told by Guest Services it couldn’t be done - that only her legal name could be on it. Later, when this woman complained about an inappropriate, transphobic joke made during one of the headliner shows, Guest Services dismissed her and didn’t initially even record her complaint. (The cruise director did attempt to follow up after a second trip to Guest Services, but her effort lost some credibility in that she was using the guest’s legal name.) Perhaps this review is skewed by the other incidents in which we received poor service from Guest Services (there were several) or by the effect that the incident had on our traveling companion, but I will not likely be booking Royal Caribbean again. I always had the impression that RC was a higher class of service than other lines (and therefore more expensive), but I walked away disappointed.

What do you mean by "told that she could have her preferred name added to her account"? And what would that actually accomplish? If she wants to be called something else couldn't she just tell whichever crew member she is interacting with how she would like to be addressed? The only crew member I can imagine even being relevant to this would be the stateroom attendant.

I can see why Guest Services wouldn't just change a name to a different name that is not on a legal document, that could get them and your traveling companion in a lot of trouble with CPB. Unfortunately what you are told before the cruise is not always a guarantee that things will be the same once on board. RCI really needs to work on this discrepancy.

Complaining about a joke during a show sounds really petty, especially if it was a comedy show. I'm gay and I've heard plenty of gay jokes during (comedy) shows and I don't go to Guest Services to complain about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm sorry your friend had that experience. It's a shame that Royal Caribbean doesn't have a way to accommodate the names people want to use. I recommend writing a letter and seeing what kind of response you get. Hopefully they will make changes for future cruises.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, nathanb2 said:

I'm gay and I've heard plenty of gay jokes during (comedy) shows and I don't go to Guest Services to complain about them.

I hear ya but what about if it were a racist joke?  Where does one draw the line?

11 hours ago, clo said:

I hear ya but what about if it were a racist joke?  Where does one draw the line?

I doubt that any cruise ship comedians would make any overtly racists jokes, just like I doubt that the jokes the OP was complaining about were overtly transphobic. People are too thin-skinned these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, clo said:

Who said anything about "overtly"? No racist joke and no other jokes about people who are gay, fat, skinny, etc.  None.

Then don't go to any adult comedy show. Jared is right - people are way too sensitive these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, disfan13 said:

people are way too sensitive these days. 

When it comes to such issues I don't believe one can be TOO sensitive. Offense is in the eye of the offended.

• Like 2