Amsterdam Arrival - Can we make a 10:25 flight?

vickiw0318

Even if your ship arrives at 6 am it is not sure you can disembark at that time.  However most ships often arrive a little earlier then that. Depending where your ship comes from it might need custom clearance/ inspection. 

Traveltime to the airport  by cab will be around 20/25 minutes depending traffic. Often airlines to the USA want you to be at the airport 3 hours prior, but 2 1/2 hour is certainly doable I think.

You can make it, but again it is rather short in time.

Thank you.  Our final stop prior to Amsterdam is Le Havre.  We have a sea day between the two.  I did realize that we would not be able to get off at six a.m. - probably closer to 7:00.  I have a long history of being up and off ships as soon as they open the doors.

I think I have read your posts to the effect that there are cabs available outside the terminal.  Taking a cab to the airport is my best bet, right?

Are you sure your ship will dock in Amsterdam and not IJmuiden? A lot of cruise companies are now avoiding Amsterdam in favour of IJmuiden, because the city of Amsterdam is charging them a tourist tax of €8 per passenger. If you indeed dock in IJmuiden you will need to take into account that it will take longer to get to the airport and that it may take longer to wait for a taxi. I personally would stay in Amsterdam for one night, explore the city and fly out the next dat.

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

13 hours ago, vickiw0318 said:

Thank you.  Our final stop prior to Amsterdam is Le Havre.  We have a sea day between the two.  I did realize that we would not be able to get off at six a.m. - probably closer to 7:00.  I have a long history of being up and off ships as soon as they open the doors.

I think I have read your posts to the effect that there are cabs available outside the terminal.  Taking a cab to the airport is my best bet, right?

INdeed cabs will be available, also Uber nowadays in Amsterdam.  As mentioned double check where your ship will dock either in Amsterdam (Brilliance of the seas is on the list there) or elsewhere. That makes a big difference!

The one time we docked in Amsterdam the cab line was very very very long and very slow.  If you are trying to make a 10"25am flight I would strongly suggest you pre-arrange your ride..  Also remember that Schipol is a huge airport and it can take 30 minutes to just walk to your gate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great information!  Is it more reasonable to make a 12 noon flight?  I plan on us walking off our luggage as the OP stated, and order a private driver to the airport from the port.  

I've heard Schiphol is difficult to navigate.  Any tips to make it easier?  My husband uses a cane so we aren't as quick as we'd like.  I have a wheelchair for him once we check in which usually makes thing move faster.

I appreciate all opinions...

2 hours ago, flrose said:

I've heard Schiphol is difficult to navigate.  Any tips to make it easier?  My husband uses a cane so we aren't as quick as we'd like.  I have a wheelchair for him once we check in which usually makes thing move faster.

I appreciate all opinions...

Difficult in what sense? I know Schipol quite well now, but in my opinion it is very well signposted. As mentioned above, it is a very large and very busy hub airport, so perhaps people find that confusing if they are not used to such a thing. 

If you are technologically minded, I believe Apple and Google maps, and the Schipol app itself, offer route planning inside the airport. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

7 hours ago, Dogma4 said:

How does one get from IJmuiden to Amsterdam Centraal?

Their website is pretty clunky so it is not clear how one does so.

Thanks. 

From IJmuiden best is to take the shuttle offered by the cruiseline. Publictransport only bus  382 to Amsterdam Sloterdijk station( some walking from the terminal to the busstop and it takes about 50 minutes)  , take a train or bus from  Sloterdijk to your destination.