Le Havre Can you walk from Port to Town?

lesliew

4 hours ago, lesliew said:

In Le Havre Can you walk from Port to Town and just see the sights?

Or is there some kind of shuttle or a taxi required.

Thanks

We walked from port to the train station so it is definitely possible to walk into town. Do you know what you wish to see/visit? 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:46 PM, dogs4fun said:

We walked from port to the train station so it is definitely possible to walk into town. Do you know what you wish to see/visit? 

I am looking into what is available.

I see there is a Tourist bus (Bee Le Havre) which should give us an overview.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

LeslieW

• 4 weeks later...

Can you walk?  Yes.  Should you walk?  Yes (its great exercise).  But are most cruisers in the condition to that kind of walk?  That is the real question :).  You are talking several miles of walking and there are many cruisers (those without major disabling problems) that will not even walk down one flight of steps.   We have walked (several times) to and from the train station which is no worse then going to most of downtown,   Of course the real question of going downtown is why?  If you have a destination in mind then go for it.  Personally, there are just too many better options in the region for us to justify spending time in Le Havre.

Hank

On 10/9/2019 at 8:01 PM, geoherb said:

We enjoyed walking about the town. It's an easy walk from the cruise pier. We went to a couple of churches, a market, the volcano, and the art museum.

And what volcano would that be??  Have stopped at Le Havre multiple times.  The first time we did a ship tour to Rouen and Giverny (the artist Monet's home and gardens).  Had a lovely lunch at a country restaurant.  On our later trips we just walked around, visiting one of the churches (its windows have a sea motif), the 17th or 18th century home of a wealthy merchant, and the art museum (modern art) mentioned above.  Princess ships offer a free shuttle bus into a central location, don't know about other cruise lines.  One time we were there on V-E day and most commercial places were closed in honor of that important day for them.  The core of the city was decimated by bombing during WW II so it's a miracle that that church and fancy home survived.  Most of the post-WW II buildings in the commercial area are 2 story and pretty utilitarian in design.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I considered walking from the LeHavre cruise ship dock to town a few weeks ago, but opted for a cab instead. There was a cab rack between the Viking and the Cunard ships. I believe the trip cost about seven Euro, and delivered us directly to the Malraux museum. Not more than ten minutes.

From there, we walked out onto the embankment, then went uphill into the old town, had lunch in a small bistro, went on to the Place de Ville, rode the tram, and walked back to the cruise line shuttle bus location.  Which is about two blocks from the Place de Ville.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, BarbinMich said:

And what volcano would that be??

I believe it would be Le Volcan (translates to the volcano in English), which is the name for a library and performing arts space in downtown Le Havre. It's very close to the Hotel de Ville and is named for its shape, designed by Oscar Niemeyer. 

It's certainly cool to look at and take pictures of, and there are lots of restaurants and shops nearby, but unless there's a show going on that day the inside itself isn't too spectacular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simplyrubies said:

I believe it would be Le Volcan (translates to the volcano in English), which is the name for a library and performing arts space in downtown Le Havre. It's very close to the Hotel de Ville and is named for its shape, designed by Oscar Niemeyer. 

T

It's certainly cool to look at and take pictures of, and there are lots of restaurants and shops nearby, but unless there's a show going on that day the inside itself isn't too spectacular.

I just looked back at my photos from our various stops at Le Havre and now I understand what you're talking about--it's close to what the Princess shuttle bus stops.  I'm not sure I knew what that building was called, but it surely is dramatic in design.