DUmb Lens Question - Dave, Aaron, Justin

tommui987

6 hours ago, tommui987 said:

I am traveling with my A6xxxs and with the Sony 10-18mm zoom and a Rokinon 12mm.

Isn’t a duplication of effort? 

I don’t print beyond 8x10. (Space) and probably wouldn’t crop that much.

10-18 = Versatile

12mm = f/2.0...better for indoors.

If you have the space, you may find a use for both.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Stop calling me Aaron...

Stick to just the 10-18...

The 12/2 does have faster aperture, in theory making it better for low light. But it lacks OSS.. the 10-18 has OSS, compensating. So the 10-18 is probably better in low light as well. So the 12/2 would be better in low light + higher shutter speed (ie, low light action). Assuming those aren't the types of shots you're using it for, just stick to the 10-18.

Especially when traveling, avoid duplication.... I've overpacked lenses before, especially when first getting serious about photography.

I now try to limit travel to 2-4 lenses, that I'm sure I'm going to use. If I miss a few shots because there was a lens I didn't pack, it's not the end of the world. For much travel, I recommend this 2 lens combination:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/the-two-lens-travel-solution/

I sort of agree with both - as Dave mentioned, there could be some creative or fun use of the 12mm F2 - but unless you have the A6500, some of what havoc mentioned is also true - without stabilization, the advantage may be erased over the F4 of the 10-18mm with stabilization.  And the 10-18mm is very versatile and useful in being able to go both wider and longer when needed.

I'd personally probably just stick to the 10-18mm for all my wide needs.  I've used my SEL16mm F2.8 + ECU adapter (which is 12mm) for maybe a dozen shots since getting the 10-18mm, and never felt the draw to pick up another wide prime as it covers everything I need at the wide end.