Tours for disabled New England RCCL cruise

nana3quinn

This is my first time posting on Cruise Critic. So I am not sure if this is where I post a question. RCCL is stopping in Portland, Bar Harbor, St John and Halifax. All the tours I've looked into require walking, e.g. market stops for an hour etc. My husband has a limited walking ability due to balance. Are there any driving/narrated only tours? My husband has balance problems and can only take short walks. We don't want to take a tour where we are staying in vehicle for half an hour or so while everyone else is walking around? 

How about a hop on, hop off bus. But don't get off the bus. You may not get much narration, but you can get a pretty decent tour. Keep in mind that Bar Harbor is a tender port which causes its own unique problems. Did you consider renting a scooter or a wheelchair? The three other ports are fairly easy to navigate with an accessible device.

Hi,

We did this cruise August 2018 on Anthem.  In Halifax we did RCI excursion Famous Peggy's Cove. It was OK.  The history of the area is fascinating, but the tour guide wasn't very good.  We were on a coach with designated handicap seating, which was very nice. You can do as much or as little walking as you desire at the stopping point in the little village.  In Bar Habor we did Acadia National Park. Not through the cruise line.  It was on a school bus type vehicle, but had storage for my manual wheelchair.  If I remember correctly, the walk from the ship to the shore is long and can get steep using various ramps.  But my husband was able to push me in the wheelchair.  We didn't do much in St. John. Just walked around and had lunch.  I can't recall what we did in Portland, but it's a pretty city. It was a really fun cruise and I would definitely do it again.

Paula