Should I avoid the Miracle? Is the ship really as bad as people say?

We had a big family group sail on her last November, and loved it.

Love the Serenity area, and we used the spa showers, those were great.

One teen, he liked the teen program, but only went a few days, when he was in the mood. 

Loved the deli!  delicious every time.

Cabins were all nice, some signs of normal wear and tear.

Every staff person we encountered was outstanding! 

I would sail on her again in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

Having sailed the Miracle and Pride multiple times, I feel they are the best ships in the fleet (despite their age).

Some want the big flashy ships with all the bells and whistles.  Others want the intimacy of a yacht.

Spirit class ships hit the "sweet spot" in the middle that many people find appealing.

• Like 1

My wife and I sailed the Miracle out of Fort Lauderdale for my 40th. The Miracle was the first ship our kids sailed on with us out of Long Beach. I’m very excited to sail with my wife, kids and my parents out of SF next year on the Miracle. 

Ive been on 4 different cruise lines and the Miracle is still one of my favorite ships. 

• Like 3

The Miracle was our first Carnival Cruise ship, back in 2007, when she sailed out of New York!

We've been other ships since then but always loved the size and easy to manage Spirit Class ships.

Since Baltimore is only a short drive away for us, we now sail on the Pride, the Miracle's sister ship.  Just got off 9/8, our 7th time on her!

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• Like 2

We are also of the opinion that the "Spirit" class ships are the best size in Carnival's fleet.  We sailed her to Hawaii in Dec 2017, loved the crew & layout of the ship.  With the drydock in early 2020, she will be even better for our cruise in May 2020.   Our Hawaii cruise was 15 days & it was one of my favorite cruises.  I am looking forward to our 10 days on her next May.  If she was so bad, would people be rebooking her?

Enjoy your cruise, no matter what you end up booking.  IMO Spirit class are the best, with Dream class coming in 2nd.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:46 AM, CruiseLoverFromNorCal said:

I am considering the Miracle for next April out of San Francisco but after reading recent reviews of the ship I am having second thoughts. People say it’s the worst Carnival ship and it’s too old. Is it really that bad? Thanks in advance. 

I'm looking forward to my Alaskan Cruise out of San Fran. next May.  It is going in for dry dock...but people LOVE THIS CLASS of ship....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We are also of the opinion that the "Spirit" class ships are the best size in Carnival's fleet.  We sailed her to Hawaii in Dec 2017, loved the crew & layout of the ship.  With the drydock in early 2020, she will be even better for our cruise in May 2020.   Our Hawaii cruise was 15 days & it was one of my favorite cruises.  I am looking forward to our 10 days on her next May.  If she was so bad, would people be rebooking her?

Enjoy your cruise, no matter what you end up booking.  IMO Spirit class are the best, with Dream class coming in 2nd.

Hi...Which Alaskan cruise date are you going on...we are on the May 11th...Looking forward to it!

7 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

Hi...Which Alaskan cruise date are you going on...we are on the May 11th...Looking forward to it!

We will see ya there.  I am so looking forward to sailing her again.  Is 1957 your birth year, if so we are the same age.   There is a roll call for that sailing, you should join in.

Edited by Banditswife

12 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We will see ya there.  I am so looking forward to sailing her again.  Is 1957 your birth year, if so we are the same age.   There is a roll call for that sailing, you should join in.

LOL...YES it is my birth year...ugh!!!  I am on that roll call...not many people though

Edited by susan1957

We will be sailing on the Miracle to Alaska from SF in June. It will be our first Carnival cruise. We have sailed 40 cruises between Princess and Holland America. This will be a brand new experience. Our Grands think it’s a kick because we will be the Newbies. 

We were on the Miracle last week, extended balcony cabin 8175. The Miracle has been one of my favorite ships (3 sailings on her), but I have to be honest and say she is looking tired and her scheduled refurbishment is needed. When we first turned the water on at the sink in the bathroom, the water ran light brown for several seconds (rust, I guess). It cleared up after letting it run for a minute or two, but we never risked drinking it. Also there was a foul odor coming from the sink drain. We just kept two or three lemon wedges in the sink to mask the smell, since we aren't complainers and was able to handle the issue ourselves. Plumbing issues aside, the crew was great, the food good, and the bed comfortable, and we enjoyed our cruise. We don't allow little things to ruin our vacations. If a little rust and the occasional carpet stain and dingy upholstery will keep you from enjoying your cruise, you might want to consider a newer ship. If you can ignore those type small issues, by all means book her. I certainly don't regret it. I'm sure she will be a great ship again after the refurbishment. Great layout and great public space to passenger ratio.

We've been on her twice, last fall was the last time! Sure she's a bit older, but was very clean, and had a great staff! We had no issues, had a great time! She's a good size for relaxing and yes, you could see the age in a few places, but it's still a great ship! 

I hope you enjoy if you decide to book!!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 2:46 AM, CruiseLoverFromNorCal said:

I am considering the Miracle for next April out of San Francisco but after reading recent reviews of the ship I am having second thoughts. People say it’s the worst Carnival ship and it’s too old. Is it really that bad? Thanks in advance. 

Here’s my opinion. We sailed the Miracle two years ago and enjoyed the ship. The decor is a little different but interesting. The Miracle will go into dry dock the end of February for the 2.0 upgrades. We love the smaller ships, Fantasy and Spirit class, they are easy to get around the ship. Will be sailing the Miracle this coming March.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:58 AM, cruzeluver said:

Pick any ship from any cruise line and you will find bad reviews,plenty of them. If I trusted reviews I would never step foot on a cruise ship. And if Miracle is "too old" then so is an awful lot of the Carnival fleet. They have many ships older than Miracle.

I'll agree with this point, that Carnival has many old tired ships in its fleet.

I stopped sailing Fantasy class ships a dozen years ago because I felt they were old back then.

I am sailing the Legend next June, but going for the ports, Norway fjords, rather than the ship.

14 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I don't care for the Miracle, but I'm in the minority. 

Not really, she has aged a bit, I had a great time and the staff was excellent, but I probably won;t sail on her again! Heading out on the GLory in November, I've heard the same/similar about that ship too, but we wanted to check out NOLA! We make the best of it, but I get the not liking a ship!! 

Happy cruising!

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

I'll agree with this point, that Carnival has many old tired ships in its fleet.

I stopped sailing Fantasy class ships a dozen years ago because I felt they were old back then.

I am sailing the Legend next June, but going for the ports, Norway fjords, rather than the ship.

They certainly have a few, that said and without looking further into it, my guess is that Royal has about the same size and more or less age in their fleet.  NCL not so much.

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They certainly have a few, that said and without looking further into it, my guess is that Royal has about the same size and more or less age in their fleet.  NCL not so much.

NCL has done a great job with their older ships, same with Celebrity.  Their dry docks are more than just a few cosmetic upgrades or food venue additions.  We have a 14 day Buenos Aires to Santiago Chile booked on an older NCL ship.

I've only sailed Royal once, but just like with Carnival, I wouldn't book their older ships for the same reasons.  We actually booked the Symphony as an introduction to their brand.

The type of ship one likes is quite subjective, just like food or music choices.  What works for us may not work for someone else & vice versa. To another pax, any ship can provide a good cruising experience. That doesn't mean anyone's choice is wrong though.  To thine own self be true.

• Like 1