Stay 1 more night after cruising in Galveston..fog

ginger123snaps

Hi we live in Texas and sail out of Galveston and other ports (miami, fort lauderdale, etc) often.  My biggest advice with sailing from Galveston is plan on spending one night in Houston after the cruise.  We always fly in the night before and fly out the day of disembarking.  In Galveston we are lucky because we can drive home.  Its happened to us twice now...the port was closed due to fog and we couldn't pull in.  One time we couldn't get on the ship until 8 or 9pm....i remember it being dark before we even got on the ship.  Luckily my sister lives in Houston so we stayed with her...but we did spend some time waiting at the port as well.  I felt so bad for all those passengers that were flying out.  If this was a one time occurrence then I wouldn't recommend this...but its not.  

Fog is an issue in Galveston for just a few months - November to March, if it happens. Also, the pilots who guide the ships into and out of the port have reached an agreement to move the ships when there is some fog, unlike before. I'm afraid your post is a little too much "Chicken Little", the sky is falling, the sky is falling. What occurred in the past is not necessarily what will happen in the future.

1 hour ago, ginger123snaps said:

We always fly in the night before and fly out the day of disembarking. 

This is prudent advice when arriving for a cruise at most any port. There are so many variables with air travel, the OP makes a very good point about arriving at the port at least a day before sailing.

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

This is prudent advice when arriving for a cruise at most any port. There are so many variables with air travel, the OP makes a very good point about arriving at the port at least a day before sailing.

Agree 100% on coming in a day early, but the OP was suggesting staying over a day after a Galveston cruise because the ship might be delayed by fog. Although not impossible, it seems to be over kill beneficial only to the hotels and restaurants. I think I remember there was one incident last winter where there was a fog delay.

Edited by Texas Tillie