No more Formal Night on Harmony

I don't think "formal night" has really been formal for some years now.  Some still dress up, some dress very much down.  It's pretty much wear what you want anyway.  Moot point to no longer call it "formal night" IMHO, which went the way of chocolates on the pillow and the upgrade fairy.  😉 

• Like 1

We like to dress up just once for the a photo, last cruise it was a mixture in the MDR, a high percentage were in shorts, this was on a TA.  Doesn't bother me but we did hear comments from other diners.   Iirc Celebrity did this too changing formal nights to Chic nights.

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

Sure wish this would be confirmed before I pack.  We leave in 10 days.

Nothing was confirmed when we sailed in June. DW and I just decided that we wouldn't bring a suit or cocktail dress. We dressed causal and were in the majority. I wore long pants but many were in shorts as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I don't think "formal night" has really been formal for some years now.  Some still dress up, some dress very much down.  It's pretty much wear what you want anyway.  Moot point to no longer call it "formal night" IMHO, which went the way of chocolates on the pillow and the upgrade fairy.  😉 

I agree, this isn't really a change just RCI accepting the reality on what "formal night" is these days.

• Like 2

What a dumb name.  "Wear Your Best" implies more formality, not less. My "best" is a tuxedo, which I've never worn on a cruise and wouldn't plan to.  

If they're getting rid of formal night, just say so and don't stick a misleading label on it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danv3 said:

What a dumb name.  "Wear Your Best" implies more formality, not less. My "best" is a tuxedo, which I've never worn on a cruise and wouldn't plan to.  

If they're getting rid of formal night, just say so and don't stick a misleading label on it.  

I guess they mean "Wear Your Best" of whatever you put in your suitcase.  For some, their best that they packed may be a swimsuit cover up- acceptable to wear to a walk up bar or the Windjammer. However, now that it is their "best" it will be interesting to see how far people push this to test what is acceptable in the MDR (and I suppose what is acceptable in the specialty dining as well).
I sort of agree with you though, wear your best does imply formality. 
I love the " It's time to shine your way."   Isn't that what the world is about these days? Shine "your way" no matter what anyone else thinks.  I agree people have the right to individuality and should be themselves, but I can't wait to see what this "Shine your way" brings out.

I see on Mariner that the "dress code" for other nights is "Laid Back Lounge."  What is that supposed to mean?  😂

Why does Royal always make the dress code harder than it needs to be?  The dress code is "wear whatever you want."  Stop trying to be cute and just say that!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, danv3 said:

I see on Mariner that the "dress code" for other nights is "Laid Back Lounge."  What is that supposed to mean?  😂

Why does Royal always make the dress code harder than it needs to be?  The dress code is "wear whatever you want."  Stop trying to be cute and just say that!

Agree.  They are trying to please everyone and it's just confusing people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We were just on a B2B.  Wear what you wish.  Some still go formal, many wear what they desire. 

Andrew, we will be on B2B next month.  Can you estimate what percentage of men you might’ve seen in sport jackets. We do find, that generally dress and coastal kitchen is a little more casual than the main dining room. 

By the way, I enjoyed your review of your harmony experience. Same thing happened to us two years ago on oasis

marci 

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

I guess they mean "Wear Your Best" of whatever you put in your suitcase.  For some, their best that they packed may be a swimsuit cover up- acceptable to wear to a walk up bar or the Windjammer. However, now that it is their "best" it will be interesting to see how far people push this to test what is acceptable in the MDR (and I suppose what is acceptable in the specialty dining as well).
I sort of agree with you though, wear your best does imply formality. 
I love the " It's time to shine your way."   Isn't that what the world is about these days? Shine "your way" no matter what anyone else thinks.  I agree people have the right to individuality and should be themselves, but I can't wait to see what this "Shine your way" brings out.

I think we all know how far it will be pushed. It been pushed for years and Royal did nothing. It looks pretty stupid to have the diners in tee shorts, shorts and flip flops and the waiters in bow ties and dress pants & collared shirts. 

Too bad.

mac_tlc

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We always have, and always will dress up for formal nights. This is one thing we always look forward to.

Now, I agree that it is your vacation and you should wear what you wish...but don't bash those that do choose to dress up (which by the way, there are still quite a few of us out there). :)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I do not miss the "formal night" but I do however take one night to dress a little nicer... Dress pants instead of jeans, button down instead of a polo.

Honestly, removing the formal night means I get to pack more of other stuff (maybe one less pair of shoes,) in my suitcase.  I also felt as those who dressed up looked down on those who did not. It is a cruise and vacation. Some vacation different including how they dress.

4 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Sure wish this would be confirmed before I pack.  We leave in 10 days.

Me too.  We're on your cruise.  My wife still likes to dress up, so I'm taking a sport coat and tie.  I've finally cut out the Tux.  But I'd be more than happy to cut the sport coat and tie.  It's hot and it's the Caribbean.  Oh well.. see y'all on board!  😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

but I can't wait to see what this "Shine your way" brings out.

Yes I agree. Maybe we could see fashion like Burning Man. I'm ok with that. Whatever floats your boat as I say. 😉

BM 2019.jpg

Edited by Sea Dog
Let people know I'm having fun,
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I like the idea of getting dressed up for dinner. This is something I look forward to. 

I understand that some folks don't want to on their vacation, but I thought that was why there were multiple choices for places to eat? 

I don't know that Tux's are needed-- that does seem like  excess. But I am glad that we all get to choose how we look on our vacations.

• Like 1