No more Formal Night on Harmony

Well, looks like the DH will not be renting a tux on board.  Damn!, now he will have to pack two more shirts and possibly another pair of pants to wear on these nights -------------------------- less suitcase room for me.....................

Just saying.

We did like dressing up a bit, it was fun, but I guess the business casual look will do him ok.

Safe travels

23 hours ago, island lady said:

I don't think "formal night" has really been formal for some years now.  Some still dress up, some dress very much down.  It's pretty much wear what you want anyway.  Moot point to no longer call it "formal night" IMHO, which went the way of chocolates on the pillow and the upgrade fairy.  😉 

Hi Pat.

I prefer to leave my suit jacket at home but always wear a tie with a long sleeved shirt, cufflinks trousers and smart shoes and RCCL welcome this fortunately.

We just got off P&O Ventura 8-30 and formal night is strictly enforced so had to bring my suit.

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Pat.

I prefer to leave my suit jacket at home but always wear a tie with a long sleeved shirt, cufflinks trousers and smart shoes and RCCL welcome this fortunately.

We just got off P&O Ventura 8-30 and formal night is strictly enforced so had to bring my suit.

Wow...pretty strict!  RCI was that way years ago, and would send pax away if the men did not at least have a sport coat on.  My how things have changed.  Beer can shorts, loud t-shirts, flip flops, and ball caps on formal nights in the MDR now.  

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Pat.

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

Asking you to reuse your bath towels? That's a new one. What is their position on straws?

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Asking you to reuse your bath towels? That's a new one. What is their position on straws?

That is not new on RCI for years now.  In your bathroom you will see a permanent sign on the wall that explains "save the waves" program where if you choose not to have your towel replaced with fresh one, to hang it neatly back up.  Though most of the time when we do that, the attendant replaces it anyway, but sometimes he/she leaves it.  

Edited by island lady

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They don't have straws.

We use towels once only.

RC have a similar notice in their bathrooms.

Edited by grapau27

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...pretty strict!  RCI was that way years ago, and would send pax away if the men did not at least have a sport coat on.  My how things have changed.  Beer can shorts, loud t-shirts, flip flops, and ball caps on formal nights in the MDR now.  

Loud t- shirts are banned and we saw people being turned away without a Jacket.

97%+ actually complied with formal dress on formal night.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Pat.

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

Although I'm not a massive fan of P and O, one of the things I do love about them is the way they enforce their dress code.

I think the whole dressing up thing is much more popular on this side of the Atlantic, just look at the large number of people who do embrace formal nights on RCL on Southampton cruises, can't see them getting rid of formal nights over here.

16 minutes ago, kernow said:

Although I'm not a massive fan of P and O, one of the things I do love about them is the way they enforce their dress code.

I think the whole dressing up thing is much more popular on this side of the Atlantic, just look at the large number of people who do embrace formal nights on RCL on Southampton cruises, can't see them getting rid of formal nights over here.

I agree,Kettles in cabins and formal night dressing up is a British thing.

On Ventura 97%+ dressed up for formal night and even on Independence the cruise after you we found a high percentage dressed up for formal night.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Ball caps are the only clothing item I find appalling when dining anywhere. It doesn't matter if on land or sea, ball caps should not be worn when dining.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I never saw their notice. Do they use paper or plastic straws?

Not sure about the straws...but have seen that "save the waves" program sign in all of the the cabins we have been on for years now.  When is your next cruise?  Check the sign on the wall to see what I am talking about.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sure about the straws...but have seen that "save the waves" program sign in all of the the cabins we have been on for years now.  When is your next cruise?  Check the sign on the wall to see what I am talking about.  

My problem is I sail on multiple lines and save the waves is a theme for all of them so I tend to block out any save the wave signs. We were told one time by the room steward on Princess to toss our towels on the floor.  Ever since we just automatically toss the towels on the floor whenever we cruise.

Hi all,

I've reached out to Royal's PR department, and this is what they tell me:

"The cruise compass you reference below from Harmony of the Seas was actually misprinted – human error. Harmony of the Seas, along with all 6-night or longer itineraries still offer Formal Nights.

All itineraries 5-nights or shorter offer a 'Wear Your Best' evening onboard. Here is how we describe this:

'Nighttime’s the right time to wear your best look. That means a step up from your typical dinner wear, and includes collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. Jackets, tuxedos/formal wear sports coats and blazers are also appropriate.'"

Hope this helps a little!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2019 at 9:10 AM, Lionesss said:

Well, looks like the DH will not be renting a tux on board.  Damn!, now he will have to pack two more shirts and possibly another pair of pants to wear on these nights -------------------------- less suitcase room for me.....................

Just saying.

We did like dressing up a bit, it was fun, but I guess the business casual look will do him ok.

Safe travels

It won't change how we travel

• Like 1