Little Mermaid

dbeckett

How close is the Little Mermaid to the port (not sure where the ship is docking yet but will find out).  If going on a tour (with Princess) can anyone say if they got off the bus at the Little Mermaid for photos or just got to see it through the bus window.  The tours we are considering are:

Cristianborg & Royal Chapel Or

Sealand Country & Frederiksborg.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, dbeckett said:

How close is the Little Mermaid to the port (not sure where the ship is docking yet but will find out).  If going on a tour (with Princess) can anyone say if they got off the bus at the Little Mermaid for photos or just got to see it through the bus window.  The tours we are considering are:

Cristianborg & Royal Chapel Or

Sealand Country & Frederiksborg.

Thanks in advance

You might want to post this on the Princess forum as it pertains to specific tours offered by Princess.

Your ship will most likely dock at Oceankaj - a quick search on Google maps shows the distance between Oceankaj and the Little Mermaid statue to be 5.2 - 6.3 km via taxi (depending on the route taken).

Link to port of CPH:

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, port matters because Oceankaj (which is where we docked both times we were in Copenhagen) is a long way from the Little Mermaid -- but if you're at Langelinie, you're right beside her and can just walk over before or after a tour.

How long is your ship in port? I ask because I note both of the tours you've selected are fairly short. If you have lots of time but you're at Oceankaj, which is a long way from attractions, you may want to not go back with the tour bus but stay in the city and take the public bus back, which would give you more time to stroll and see sights like the Little Mermaid at your leisure? She is very small and often lost in the crowd and would be difficult to see from a bus window!

Another alternative is a tour through one of the companies that offers flat-rate join-in tours (like SPB or Alla) . . . or setting up a private tour with others on your Roll Call to guarantee you see what you want? Copenhagen is also do-able by public transit, although you can run into lines at attractions if you're not with a tour.

5 hours ago, trosebery said:

She is very small and often lost in the crowd and would be difficult to see from a bus window!

I would go further and say you will NOT see it from a bus window. Also agree it's an easy walk from Langelinie.
Even closer from the HOHO bus stop which is close by (we did that having a full day prior to embarkation).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbeckett said:

Crown Princess and arriving on 22 July 2020 which is a Wednesday.

She will be docked  at Langelinie - walking  distance from the Little Mermaid.

Langelinie is a 30 minutes walk along the harbor and the Royal Castle to Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv - and then another mile to the town hall and Tivoli.

8 hours ago, hallasm said:

Langelinie is a 30 minutes walk along the harbor and the Royal Castle to Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv - and then another mile to the town hall and Tivoli.

Assuming Hallasm is correct (& I don't recall any post from Hallasm that wasn't) you've go a result :classic_smile:

She's located at the city end of Langeline, a walk of no more than a ship's length before or after an excursion.

But do consider walking at least one way from Langelinie to the city -  a simple and attractive waterfront walk of about a mile (20 / 25 minutes) past the little mermaid, the star-shaped castellet (being pedantic, more a fort than a castle), Amalienborg Palace & museum, to the attractive little Nyhavn harbour, lined with bars & cafes & restaurants.

A further 20 minutes to the Radhus & Tivoli Gardens

JB :classic_smile:

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

Yep - she is listed on the port website - docking at Langelinie. Lucky you - within walking distance of many sights.

I second JB's suggestion to stroll along the waterfront to Nyhavn - you can catch a canal cruise in Nyhavn before heading on to your next sight.

Thanks for all the responses and the wonderful news that we are docking close to the Little Mermaid.  As someone said seen as how the tours we are looking at aren't long it will give us time to walk to the Little Mermaid at leisure before or after the tour.

Thanks again to everyone 

On 9/12/2019 at 12:15 PM, John Bull said:

But do consider walking at least one way from Langelinie to the city -  a simple and attractive waterfront walk of about a mile (20 / 25 minutes) past the little mermaid, the star-shaped castellet (being pedantic, more a fort than a castle), Amalienborg Palace & museum, to the attractive little Nyhavn harbour, lined with bars & cafes & restaurants.

A further 20 minutes to the Radhus & Tivoli Gardens

JB :classic_smile:

That is our plans....thanks for the approximate walking times.  I have an idea of times from google maps but they don’t always match reality. 

2 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

That is our plans....thanks for the approximate walking times.  I have an idea of times from google maps but they don’t always match reality. 

It's a great plan if the weather is nice.  My ship was docked at Langelinie and we docked early the morning.  I was one of the first 10 people off the ship and I did the walk along the waterfront before most things even opened for the day.  I took my time as I walked toward Nyhavn and then around to see the sights as they opened.  It's a great walking city and I did everything I wanted on foot -- just a big loop around and back to the ship later that day.

• Like 1

When we were there, the Little Mermaid was on display at a World Expo or something (in Seoul I think), so she was replaced with a live TV feed from the Expo...and people still got off the tourist buses to take photos of the TV screen! ..(Just like me!!)

image.thumb.png.0db9859ed8e87a5d4896a4326f74a656.png

Simon

12 hours ago, sddsddean said:

When we were there, the Little Mermaid was on display at a World Expo or something (in Seoul I think), so she was replaced with a live TV feed from the Expo...and people still got off the tourist buses to take photos of the TV screen! ..(Just like me!!)

image.thumb.png.0db9859ed8e87a5d4896a4326f74a656.png

Simon

You did not miss out at all!!! The little mermaid is one of the most overrated tourist features anywhere, only rivalled by the Manakin pis in Brussels. Copenhagen has lots of beautiful sites, do not waste your time on the mermaid, well out from the centre and distinctly underwhelming, if you must buy a postcard.

17 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Wow! That's creative! However, I would have been really disappointed if I hadn't had chance to see the statue on my only day in Copenhagen.

• 2 weeks later...