If Haven and Yacht Club were the same price....

mafig

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is a good question and one that I have thought about.  Not only is YC far forward but "way up" as well.  If King Neptune is having a bad day and "the ocean is in motion", by the laws of physics, some in YC may not be having such a great day as well.  

Sailed 14 nights on seaside july 2018 and there was no more motion on deck 16 and 18 than on other ships we have sailed. Actually we felt more motion on oasis class ships in the suite lounge and our cabin on deck 17.

26 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Sailed 14 nights on seaside july 2018 and there was no more motion on deck 16 and 18 than on other ships we have sailed. Actually we felt more motion on oasis class ships in the suite lounge and our cabin on deck 17.

Thanks for your response.  Good to know what you have experienced.  I hope my fellow YC guests and me on my sailing will have the same experience.

I have been on cruises where King Neptune was very upset due to being near the tail end of a typhoon, crossing the Tasman Sea when he was not having a good day, etc.  The old but very true cliche applied on those sailings:  "The more you pay, the more you sway."

Edited by rkacruiser

Just keep in mind that "motion" is usually a factor of long swells, waves, and wind.  One can cruise for 1000 days and never have a rough day....or just the opposite.  The least motion is on the lowest deck amidships.  As you move further from amidships and higher the motion will increase.....if there are rough seas.  DW and I just returned from Princess cruise to Greenland and had one day when the seas were a bit high.  Our cabin was very far forward (the 2nd cabin behind the bridge) and it was actually a bit difficult walking in the corridor without bumping into the walls (kind of like a drunken sailor).  But once we were amidships in the central atrium we felt very little movement.

One other personal observation.  Having spend years on cruise ships (as a passenger) I have learned to dislike cabins that are located far aft.  While aft cabins are very popular with some folks, we have found that on many ships there can be a "shimmy" caused by the props (and related cavitation).  I do not like this shimmy motion although others will say they don't even feel it. 

While the area towards the bow will get lots of motion in rough seas (we enjoy rocking and rolling) there is none of that shimmy motion.

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:38 PM, SailBreakaway said:

Rarely do I read a post on CC that really is an education and provides great value. This post is one of the most informative and has some outstanding well thought out points. Well said and thanks for the Ratio data, thats great info I wish we had at our fingertips. 

Wow! Thank you for the compliment, that was lovely to read :).

On 9/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, frank808 said:

Great post. As a cruiser on royal and having cruised on seaside for 2 weeks, I would have to agree with your assessment. I found seaside in the non YC area to be very crowded. Enjoyed MSC and the price point enough to be cruising her again in mid june for a b2b. As you mentioned, when the YC value is not there, we will reassess then.

Thank you for the compliment. I think you hit the nail on the head with MSC~ PRICE POINT is critical. I see no reason to pay the same amount as the other mainstream lines when MSC offers less in terms of activities we like to participate in. 

However; when MSC is priced 40-50% less than the competition, it's easy to forgo a flow rider or Ifly experience. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for and unless it's a special occasion where you want to splurge, for me, the key to getting the most from my vacation dollar is to find  the best value. I think MSC provides that in many circumstances, but I know her limits. I think MSC gets a bad rap when people expect more from the product. :). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Wow! Thank you for the compliment, that was lovely to read :).

BermudaBound2014....

Please excuse my brief response, your writing deserves much more and we shall no doubt share our debate in the future.

As many have suggested from the quick look I have managed ....your offering was first class and brilliantly written.

Its 4:40pm here in the UK and just over two hours ago I lost my job!

So please excuse my prioritizing other things ahead of being on here, I will no doubt be on here a lot less in the immediate period, but thought this response was due to you! ✌️ 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

BermudaBound2014....

Please excuse my brief response, your writing deserves much more and we shall no doubt share our debate in the future.

As many have suggested from the quick look I have managed ....your offering was first class and brilliantly written.

Its 4:40pm here in the UK and just over two hours ago I lost my job!

So please excuse my prioritizing other things ahead of being on here, I will no doubt be on here a lot less in the immediate period, but thought this response was due to you! ✌️ 

I’m so sorry to hear this Frank- puts first world debates about cruise offerings in perspective. We may be a just virtual community, but the MSc forum is a great community none the less. I’m sure I speak for many when I wish you all the very best as you transition through this next stage to find your new normal. Sending lots of positive vibes across the pond directly to you!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One other personal observation.  Having spend years on cruise ships (as a passenger) I have learned to dislike cabins that are located far aft.  While aft cabins are very popular with some folks, we have found that on many ships there can be a "shimmy" caused by the props (and related cavitation).  I do not like this shimmy motion although others will say they don't even feel it. 

While the area towards the bow will get lots of motion in rough seas (we enjoy rocking and rolling) there is none of that shimmy motion.

Like the "shimmy":  no, I don't.  I'll accept it, but as I have said on other CC threads, I won't purposely book such a stateroom when this is possible.

Rocking and rolling when King Neptune is having a bad day?  For me, YES!  While a flat sea is always preferable, when the "ocean is in motion", I know that I am on a ship and have not booked a Marriott resort.  Such a sea adds to my memory of that cruise.