National Express Bus Review

msmusic

I thought a short review of our experience on the National Express Bus from Heathrow to Southampton might be useful for some other travelers.

We booked our tickets online approximately two weeks before our trip.  One option was to select seats, which cost 2 GBP per person.  Since I wanted to make sure that my husband and I could sit together, I added that option to our ticket.  I'm not sure it is commonly purchased, but I am glad that I did it.

We arrived at Terminal 3 after an overnight flight from the US.  There was quite a long walk to the immigration area and there were very long lines to go through immigration but the actual process was automated and very quick.  It did not take long to get our bags and proceed through a short hall which was customs and then into the terminal  There were signs to the Central Bus Station which was again, quite a long walk, this time with our luggage.  It was completely doable but those with mobility challenges should keep that in mind. 

The Central Bus Station was quite busy with many local and regional buses arriving and departing but there was a board which clearly showed the times for departure and bay numbers for the buses.  Southampton was not the final destination of our bus so it's important to know the departure time so that you can see which stops for which bus.  Within the station, there was a small convenience store with drinks, snacks and pre-made sandwiches and there was an Italian coffee shop with pastries and meals.  There was a very clean restroom by the station.  We had to wait almost two hours for our bus, scheduled to depart at 9:45am.  The board said to wait in the bus station, then the comment changed to the bay number at about 9:40.  When we went out to the bay, there was a very long line of travelers to get on the bus, so obviously, all do not wait inside the station.

Since we had pre-booked seats, I was not nervous about getting a seat, but I believe the bus was almost full.  I was a bit concerned about the mountains of luggage getting stored beneath the bus by only the bus driver.  We departed about 15-20 minutes late due to the stowing of so much luggage.  I booked the seats 2A and 2B which were behind the first seats, which I believe are for disabled passengers.  We had a lot of extra leg room and comfortable seats.  The bus also offered Wi-fi. 

There was a lot of traffic on the road and the driver explained that there were four cruise ships in the port that day.  Since we were sailing the next day, we were not concerned about delays but there were other cruisers on the bus who got nervous as due to the traffic, we arrived in Southampton an hour late.  The bus ride is not particularly scenic so it's a good time to take a nap until Winchester which was a charming town and I might chose to stay there if I ever sail from Southampton again.

The Southampton bus station is very small and there were no taxis there when the bus arrived and it was a bit of a scrum to get your luggage through all of the people.  I think many of the other travelers used Uber to get transportation but I'm not sure as we walked with our luggage to the Premier Inn.

I would definitely do this again as an economical transfer as it cost about $50 for the two of us.  We did arrange for a private transfer after the cruise as we were flying out the same day.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

I was trying to think of something to add to this comprehensive review, but apart from saying that I am sure many people should find it useful, I couldn't come up with anything .

Ditto, a very helpful review.

Just a few trivial add-ons.

For arrivals at Heathrow's T2 & T3  (T1 now defunct) there's that walk to central bus station.

But for arrivals at T4 and T5, remote from the central hub, pick-up is at the terminal entrance

Only a limited number of specific seats can be pre-booked, I think the first 4 to 5 rows.

Sometimes the coach is less than half-full, sometimes it's over-subscribed. Since the frequency is poor, very definitely pre-book the journey - and  it's advisable to add the miserly £2 to book specific seats.

Not all the coaches go via Winchester - there are 2 to 3 intermediate pick-up points en-route but some drop into the Winchester pick-up and others drop into a pick-up in boring & bland Basingstoke. 

There's a taxi rank at Southampton coach station, but taxis don't usually sit there - they drop by when a coach is due and sometimes demand outstrips immediate availability.

JB :classic_smile:

4 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

Your bus departure was at 9:45.

What time was your plane scheduled to arrive? 

Our flight into Terminal 3 was scheduled to arrive at 7:05am. We arrived a bit earlier but with the long lines at immigration, collecting luggage, and walking, we didn’t arrive at the Central bus station until about 8:15-8:30. On that day, we definitely could not have made the 8:00am bus.   As John Bull mentioned, if you arrive at a different terminal, the walk and bus schedule will be different. 

Just to add add to John Bull’s additional information - there weren’t any taxis at the Southampton station when we arrived (we were basically first off the bus and then waited quite a while for our luggage). Perhaps this was because the bus was an hour late and taxis were probably busy with all the ships in port. I wanted to mention it so other travelers would know of that possibility and have a backup plan. 

We were just on the Crown Princess Aug. 29th thru Sept. 10th and had reserved the National Express bus twice, from Heathrow to Victoria Coach Station and then from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton.

We reserved the latter bus first, 5GBP each, 2GBP extra to sit together and 1GBP for extra legroom, total 15GBP.  The bus was half full and we really didn't need the extras.  It was a comfortable ride and we met another couple doing the same cruise at the coach station who wanted to share a taxi.  We arrived in Southampton on time and there were several taxis waiting.  The cost was 7GBP so we shared and it came to around $4.00 USD each.

For the trip from the airport we didn't know what time to book because planes could be late or early, so a few days before the trip we booked with the 12 hour before or after choice which was 10GBP pp.  We did not go for the extras so total 20GBP.  It turned out our plane was a little early and the time we booked would have made us wait two hours but we got on the first available bus, sat together with extra legroom.  It was well worth it.  This bus was only half full also.

BTW we had a wonderful three days in London before our cruise.

2 hours ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

I noticed you said you walked to the Premier Inn from the bus station, would that be the Premier Inn West Quay? We're  taking the bus next Saturday from Victoria Station, and it would be great to know if we can walk to the hotel from the Southampton bus station.

From the Nat Express coach station to the Premier Inn West Quay is an easy level walk of about 1/3rd of a mile, about 6 to 7 minutes.

https://goo.gl/maps/GpFFQE3ZEttnUNtm6

I have taken National Express many times and if the timing is correct, I prefer it over the train. I can’t relax on a train keeping an eye on luggage (if there’s rack space) or having to hang onto it. I prefer it in the hold of the bus.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, dickinson said:

Did any of you have luggage slightly larger than what the National Express website says you can have?  Airlines allow larger suitcases but National Express guidelines seem to be a bit smaller.  

They don't measure or weigh them. You just take them to the driver by luggage compartment under the coach and he loads them on. 

On 9/12/2019 at 8:17 AM, John Bull said:

Ditto, a very helpful review.

Just a few trivial add-ons.

For arrivals at Heathrow's T2 & T3  (T1 now defunct) there's that walk to central bus station.

But for arrivals at T4 and T5, remote from the central hub, pick-up is at the terminal entrance

Only a limited number of specific seats can be pre-booked, I think the first 4 to 5 rows.

Sometimes the coach is less than half-full, sometimes it's over-subscribed. Since the frequency is poor, very definitely pre-book the journey - and  it's advisable to add the miserly £2 to book specific seats.

Not all the coaches go via Winchester - there are 2 to 3 intermediate pick-up points en-route but some drop into the Winchester pick-up and others drop into a pick-up in boring & bland Basingstoke. 

There's a taxi rank at Southampton coach station, but taxis don't usually sit there - they drop by when a coach is due and sometimes demand outstrips immediate availability.

I have taken the National Express upon arriving at T5 and my experience was exactly the same as the OP, despite not having purchased my ticket in advance. I bought my ticket outside the terminal when I arrived in the morning, also after an overnight flight. The coach schedule was frequent and I didn't have to wait long before we departed into the city. Easy, quick, simple.

I had originally planned to take the train into London but I changed my mind, not wanting to take up too much space with the luggage, and thought it'd just be more relaxing on the bus...well, coach I should say because it's more than a bus, and it was comfortable and easy. Takes a little longer to get into London, but the benefits I gained were worth it, comfort/convenience. 

It's certainly an option to consider upon arrival into LHR for transport into London. 

19 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I have taken the National Express upon arriving at T5 and my experience was exactly the same as the OP, despite not having purchased my ticket in advance. I bought my ticket outside the terminal when I arrived in the morning, also after an overnight flight. The coach schedule was frequent and I didn't have to wait long before we departed into the city. Easy, quick, simple.

You can often get away with 'walking up' if you are just going into London, as many services from the south and southwest call at Heathrow on their way into London. If you are going anywhere else (eg straight to Southampton) it is very highly recommended that you pre book.

Simon

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sddsddean said:

You can often get away with 'walking up' if you are just going into London, as many services from the south and southwest call at Heathrow on their way into London. If you are going anywhere else (eg straight to Southampton) it is very highly recommended that you pre book.

Simon

Agreed. Frequent coaches into London,

but only a few to Southampton - definitely pre-book

JB 😀

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying that point! I should have elaborated...there were tickets via National Express to points throughout the country including and of course, to Southampton, though not everywhere at the same time of course. Sometimes in my brain I think my fingers are typing what I'm thinking and that isn't always the case. 😳Sincere apologies for the misdirection and thanks as ever to JB and sddsdean!!! 👏👏

Indeed the schedule to London was/is frequent and could do with a walkup if a small party (2) and reasonable luggage. Anything more, I'd reserve. But these fine folks had you covered, I'm just covering my, uh, scones.

But should you wish to take a coach to Scotland....🤔 come back here and let's talk it over.