Cruise Critic Community
ilikeanswers

Which cruise lines are best for local cuisine?

I have no preference for mainstream or not. I just want to know what all the options are.

Edited by ilikeanswers

Very few - if any - of the larger ocean going lines are able to use local ingredients.  The ships are just too large and the supply chains too unsure.  You might be able to find a smaller line like Paul Gaugin who are able to source local ingredients.  But even then I suspect it would be minimal.

Otherwise you will find river cruises generally have local ingredients and will at least nod in the direction of local cuisine.  I've done Viking through Europe several times - I wouldn't call the cuisine local as such, but it was not entirely international.  And Hebridean Princess have a stunning reputation food wise.

Alternatively some lines do local food experience type tours - I know Celebrity does.  So you can go and do a local food tour even if you do have to get back to American / international food.

19 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Very few - if any - of the larger ocean going lines are able to use local ingredients.  The ships are just too large and the supply chains too unsure.  You might be able to find a smaller line like Paul Gaugin who are able to source local ingredients.  But even then I suspect it would be minimal.

Otherwise you will find river cruises generally have local ingredients and will at least nod in the direction of local cuisine.  I've done Viking through Europe several times - I wouldn't call the cuisine local as such, but it was not entirely international.  And Hebridean Princess have a stunning reputation food wise.

Alternatively some lines do local food experience type tours - I know Celebrity does.  So you can go and do a local food tour even if you do have to get back to American / international food.

I guess I never expected them to use local ingredients but I thought more cruises would make dishes associated with the regions they were travelling around. I was reading the thread about Indian curries served on cruises and I was thinking well for a Caribbean cruise a lot of the local food uses the same spices as Indian so if they have the ingredients it shouldn't be so hard to whip up a Caribbean dish🤔.

It is interesting there are no foodie cruises. I would have thought there would be a market for that.

Too subjective I suspect.  One person's idea of a well prepared meal does not match another's.  Once you have an international clientele you also have an international range of views about how something should be prepared.  Your closest chance will be river cruising.  I've only ever done that in Europe but there is usually a locally inspired dish on the menus.

If you want an ocean going ship Celebrity have a partnership with a couple of chefs and do chef's tour excursions on suitable itineraries.  I've never done one - I am (to me) far too much a foodie to want a sterilized version or the opportunity to make my own cheese.  I head for local markets, eat at street food stalls etc.  But everyone approaches life - and food - in different ways.  It might suit you.  If you post on the Celebrity Forum someone will be able to give an opinion.  I also wonder about the very small very exclusive lines - you could look at their fora and see if anyone has posted menus.

The Indian food on the buffet in most cruise lines is very good - but that tends to reflect the ethnicity of the brigade rather than the itinerary of the ship!

Thanks for the insights, looks like what I was looking for probably doesn't really exist. My first cruise was pretty good at providing a taste of local food (and not a sterilized version either) so I was hoping there were other lines that did something similar.