Which cruise lines are best for local cuisine?

ilikeanswers

On 9/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, Lois R said:

Hello friends😀.......yes, I have been sailing SS for the past 5 years. Going again in 2 weeks😀

The newest Silversea ships offer a new concept in the restaurant arena.......it is called SALT.....stands for SEA AND LAND TASTE.........the restaurant is called Salt Kitchen and yes, the menu is geared towards whatever the itinerary might be and yes, the Chef's go in town for local stuff..........It was a Greek Menu when I sailed and I LOVED it........and not just your typical Greek food........the Chef was very creative.  I ate there 3 times in 10 nights.  

They also have the Salt Bar with a wonderful funky, eclectic drink menu.  And the Salt Lab......I know some folks who love it and others who just don't enjoy cooking so they can be critical. But if you don't like to  cook, you don't take the class.  I LOVED It too..........there are 9 stations and the ingredients have already been prepped for you.......the Chef leads the class........we made multiple Greek dishes........

Personally, I think it is a wonderful concept.

Have you cruised with them to Galapagos? I understand that the local government requires a lot of local staffing. 

9 hours ago, clo said:

Have you cruised with them to Galapagos? I understand that the local government requires a lot of local staffing. 

Nope, I have never sailed that itinerary. But there are folks on the SS forum who have and can probably answer those questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have puzzled over this thread for several weeks and I think that Silverseas SALT dining concept is the best that may be currently available, based on Lois R's description and experience.

When I was able to begin sailing long cruises, one of my fond memories is of local fresh foods being brought aboard and served when my HAL ship was sailing in foreign locales.  Filet of Kangaroo was offered one on dinner menu when we were in Australian waters.  (Never have seen that offered other than that one cruise:  2002, Volendam's Asia Pacific Cruise)  And, the Filet of Kangaroo was good!  Other regional foods wherever we sailed on that cruise were purchased and served.  

Eventually, such regional offerings became fewer and fewer.  Menu dictates from whomever in Seattle became the standard.  Standard recipes were also issued from Seattle.  But, thank goodness, the Executive Chefs on the ships were allowed to "tinker" with the recipes and provide their "special touches".  I have sailed enough to be aware if the Executive Chef on my current cruise is "tinkering" or is "cooking by the book".  And, some of the Chefs are better at "tinkering" than others.  

It has been surprising to me during my most recent HAL cruises that there is one dining venue where the cuisine has been consistently excellent.  There's no "tinkering".  What I have been served on one ship has been as excellent as on another.  Whether it was in the stand alone venue or in a "pop-up" on another ship.  Even the wine list and the service is as consistent as it could be. Chef Rudi's Sel de Mer is a memorable winner for me!