Celebrity internet usage

azalice

We are considering the purchase of an internet package for the first time. Celebrity’s seems very expensive so I thought I would ask you what your usage has been like on board. Is it usually a fast (fast enough to avoid major frustration)connection to your IPad and IPhone or similar devices? We have B2B of 19 days, port intensive, and lots of private tours. So we are not sure how much time we will have to find a free WiFi spot on land. I would appreciate your comments.

Some people find it fast and fairly reliable while others say that it is slow and spotty and others say it can be either of those depending on the weather and how many others are on line.  Therefore I don’t think anyone can really tell you what you will encounter on your particular cruise

Hi, on Silhouette last week I had the Surf package, £95ish UK for the week, purchased pre-cruise. Very impressed with it. I use W/App a lot to send pix to family and internet for news/football scores etc. Pretty much perfect service.

To answer the last post from Hollis25 it was really easy to connect. Can't remember the exact process but all done by following prompts on WiFi settings, with the ability to click a link as I had purchased before sailing. Not sure what you do if you buy the package onboard but I'm sure it is similarly easy.

Summary (of my experience), extremely simple to set up, just a few seconds.....the wi-fi was then really excellent throughout the cruise.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Peter 

• Like 1

In general I've found the internet to acceptable for surfing the net as well as FaceTime calls , cell phone service using WIFI but usually not good enough for streaming.  You will always be at the mercy of the satellite coverage to support the internet.   We use the Elite discount to purchase service for one device that we share.  For us it's a fair deal.

• Like 1

The few times I needed it for web ex meetings never had trouble.  I will probably only get surf if so on my up coming to check work emails since I wish I could fully disconnect but we are in middle of an upgrade cycle at that point so need to check in once a day with margarita in hand most likely.  

21 hours ago, Hollis25 said:

How do you setup once on ship? After you have paid.

Setup is fairly simple once on board.   From Network choose - Celebrity.   From browser go to guest.onboardicafe.com or 172.27.4.21.     I believe you can also just type LogOff.      From there you will have your sign on page.    Select Create an account and fill in the information  -   SeaPass Card Number (called Folio Number), date of birth and then create a username and passcode (4 digits).     The next page you can select which type of account you wish.    Push submit and your done.

One little warning.   If you are on a B2B you will have to change your Username at the end of the first cruise.

• Like 2

A bit confused on the pricing. If there are 2 of us with a total of 4 devices, can we only pay for the service on 1 device if we don't plan to use them at the same time? I presume you can only use 1 device at time and do not have to pay for every device you plan to use. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Jim Iian you are just the guy I need for another question. Please reiterate here how to hook up the HDMI cable to the new "revolutionized" TV's to get to the "select" option. I saw your explanation a month or so ago on a different thread, but I need a refresher course for my cruise in 8 days. 

My experience on Equinox last week with the full Internet package was that I seldom had access on my balcony.  My bed, which was near the window, also seldom allowed me access. I had to sit on the sofa to get reliable Internet. Other places in the ship's interior were OK and fairly fast...but not always. Sometimes it seemed the Internet was balking at giving service.  Our cruise was to Key West, Cozumel and Costa Maya. 

I think we will be purchasing some kind of a package. I do not see one that says one device, without it also saying credit for excursions and one specialty dining. We do not care about the excursions or specialty dining. I was finding the choices under cruise planning on the website. 

Am I missing something that allows one device, period - no extras thrown in?

18 minutes ago, azalice said:

I think we will be purchasing some kind of a package. I do not see one that says one device, without it also saying credit for excursions and one specialty dining. We do not care about the excursions or specialty dining. I was finding the choices under cruise planning on the website. 

Am I missing something that allows one device, period - no extras thrown in?

You must be looking under the added perk packages.  Go to  the "Internet and More" tab and you will see lots of options.  If you can't find it, phone Celebrity and book it through them.  

910989562_ScreenShot2019-09-15at7_48_57AM.png.10372f6b5abbc45ff2b402a918096e1b.png

Thanks, Scottygirl1. I went over all the choices as you suggested and found more than I had before. I think we will purchase the surf only, one device to keep costs down. I guess we just have to take turns with our two devices, using only one at a time.

12 minutes ago, azalice said:

Thanks, Scottygirl1. I went over all the choices as you suggested and found more than I had before. I think we will purchase the surf only, one device to keep costs down. I guess we just have to take turns with our two devices, using only one at a time.

That's what we are doing - I also got a discount for Captain's Club so if you are a member phone up and get that.  Don't take no for an answer if they say it doesn't cover the Surf package too!!

Edited by Scottygirl1