Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

ram1977

Is it not better to lose with self respect than to win by cheating? We should all just be proud of the correct answers we give and learn from our mistakes. All of us that do not cheat will sleep better at night than the ones who win by cheating.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We don’t play trivia on a cruise. We might sit and listen if it’s a “fun” trivia (TV, music, movies, geography) but don’t join a team and compete. It never seemed right to me, since we generally do a stream of back to back cruises and would stand a decent chance of encountering the same questions again. Then there’s the whole “trivia on a Princess ship” vibe, which, frankly, scares me a little. People are so competitive...for what?

• Like 3

Not sure how others responded but you gave me my first chuckle of the day! I've been following posts about people putting together serious trivia teams in advance of an upcoming cruise. Bet this would frost their butts. We rarely engage; are moderate players; don't get too invested in the outcome. Just go and enjoy.

3 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Yes it is, We have been on the ship with them and the crew knew exactly who they were.  I haven't seen them on board for several years and heard they were asked not to sail with Princess any more.  Years ago, Trivia was what I considered to be a cutthroat game.  Besides the winning part, one cruise there were trivia players who were extremely rude toward the trivia host and made fun of her English accent and not being able to pronounce some of our American words.  After hosting about her second game, she was almost in tears.  The Cruise Director came to the next game and said that no one was to make fun  of or ridicule his staff

We were at trivia once and one team was using an iPad, presumably looking up answers.  The trivia host said to them, "you don't need an ipad to play trivia."   THEY reported the host and he got in trouble!  It was ridiculous!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Very sad people who feel they have to cheat to win the "crap" prizes given out.

We had a guy once who sat at the bar by himself and played trivia.  He kept winning and we were so surprised that he could win so often playing by himself!  Turns out he wasn't switching answer sheets and he was marking his own paper. 
Someone pointed out that he had to switch and that was the last time we saw him at trivia! LOL!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We don’t play trivia on a cruise. We might sit and listen if it’s a “fun” trivia (TV, music, movies, geography) but don’t join a team and compete. It never seemed right to me, since we generally do a stream of back to back cruises and would stand a decent chance of encountering the same questions again. Then there’s the whole “trivia on a Princess ship” vibe, which, frankly, scares me a little. People are so competitive...for what?

It's scares you?  LOL!  It's people (most of us at least) having fun!  We win some, we lose most but we have a good time and sometimes we even learn something we didn't know before!  We don't let the cheaters spoil it for us.

• Like 1

We enjoy playing trivia because it’s a fun way to meet people, especially when they’re from different parts of the world. It’s not about the winning, & certainly not the prizes, but we’ve met people who we are still in touch with over the years.

Speaking of those with notebooks, it’s not always as it appears. A couple of years ago there was a Canadian couple & the wife kept one of those notebooks. We thought they were cheating, but laughed it off, because they didn’t constantly win. One day our partners didn’t make it, & this couple asked to join us. Turns out, she kept the book because she enjoyed learning useless facts. They wound up joining our team often, & she never once referred to her notes for an answer, she was just a sweet women who really enjoyed trivia, & we had a great time with them.

and yet another time we hooked up with a woman that was was cutthroat, we avoided her like the plague for the rest of the cruise, lol.

Edited by richsea

25 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We were at trivia once and one team was using an iPad, presumably looking up answers.  The trivia host said to them, "you don't need an ipad to play trivia."   THEY reported the host and he got in trouble!  It was ridiculous!

That's an easy fix to correct the problem. Just switch off the WiFi signal in that area during the game. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cheatin' at trivia

Cheatin' the coffee package

Cheatin' the PBP

Cheatin' the no saving seats / loungers

Cheatin' the 'free laundry'

Cheatin' the wifi with hotspots

Cheatin' the carryon alcohol policy

Cheatin' the dress 'suggestion'

yore Cheain' heart ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We had a guy once who sat at the bar by himself and played trivia.  He kept winning and we were so surprised that he could win so often playing by himself!  Turns out he wasn't switching answer sheets and he was marking his own paper. 
Someone pointed out that he had to switch and that was the last time we saw him at trivia! LOL!

LOL, we had a lady do the same thing for music trivia, she played alone,  we would mark our own sheets on the honour system, and when the cruise director asked people to clap when their number was read, she would always clap and she would always be one more point than the second place team.  We just play for fun, we get a chuckle because sometimes we don’t even remember answers to questions we might have heard say two weeks earlier if we are on a long cruise and some of the questions are repeated.

• Like 2

Not sure if I posted this here on this thread, but just to point out some of the rudeness that has occurred during trivia....
We had our team "set" after several days/weeks on a cruise so we would get our 6 chairs together while waiting for all of our team to show up.  We were down on the front row on the  floor and this "lady" from the tier above us just comes up and starts picking up one of our chairs.  We told her that our team member was going to sit there.  So while we were still waiting for our team member, a young blind man walks by our table and is obviously trying to find a place to sit, so we offered him the empty seat.  As soon as he sat down, the "lady" starts screaming at us that "you promised me that chair" ...um, no we didn't.  She kept screaming and my DH says "what the hell is wrong with you, the man is blind and needed a seat"  And She screams, "well I can't see that well either"!!!!  
We just turned around and sat down....you can't reason with someone like that and you can't fix stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, suzyed said:

It's scares you?  LOL!  It's people (most of us at least) having fun!  We win some, we lose most but we have a good time and sometimes we even learn something we didn't know before!  We don't let the cheaters spoil it for us.

But it does spoil it, IMO.  I honestly do not care if I win or lose, I just go to meet new people. BUT, when people are cheating and yelling at the staff, it does spoil it. I especially hate the yelling at the staff.......it's a game people!!!  Even if the answer is wrong, who cares, it's a game.  It's not like a life or death thing.  If you are confident you know the right answer, good for you, but to even approach the staff to point it out........really? I am a dental professional and I have heard several wrong dental answers that I KNOW are wrong, but I just tell my team, "sorry, that's the right answer, but, oh well"  Never would I correct or yell or approach the staff.   Plus, the staff is so overworked as it is, do you think they want to spend their time, use their internet minutes to look up new questions?  

On our last cruise the people on there were relentless and made the cruise staff cry by yelling at her.  Is this silly game that important to them to hurt another human being just trying to make their cruise more fun?  And it always seems like the cheaters are the ones yelling......go figure.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Cheatin' at trivia

Cheatin' the coffee package

Cheatin' the PBP

Cheatin' the no saving seats / loungers

Cheatin' the 'free laundry'

Cheatin' the wifi with hotspots

yore Cheain' heart ...

Cheating the wifi with hotspots?  That's a new one...to me anyway!

3 minutes ago, Level six said:

But it does spoil it, IMO.  I honestly do not care if I win or lose, I just go to meet new people. BUT, when people are cheating and yelling at the staff, it does spoil it. I especially hate the yelling at the staff.......it's a game people!!!  Even if the answer is wrong, who cares, it's a game.  It's not like a life or death thing.  If you are confident you know the right answer, good for you, but to even approach the staff to point it out........really? I am a dental professional and I have heard several wrong dental answers that I KNOW are wrong, but I just tell my team, "sorry, that's the right answer, but, oh well"  Never would I correct or yell or approach the staff.   Plus, the staff is so overworked as it is, do you think they want to spend their time, use their internet minutes to look up new questions?  

On our last cruise the people on there were relentless and made the cruise staff cry by yelling at her.  Is this silly game that important to them to hurt another human being just trying to make their cruise more fun?  And it always seems like the cheaters are the ones yelling......go figure.  

Agree...pretty sad, if you ask me.

• Like 1

We also like to play the trivia games. We met two sisters a few years ago on a cruise playing trivia.  We have become friends and now cruise together annually. Our educational backgrounds are in different fields and make for a well rounded foursome. We pick up two more on each cruise and just have fun. We felt once we were hogging answers so, let the other two tell us answers. The wife would give us the answer she wanted us to write and then hit her husband when the answer was wrong, saying that she told him she thought it was the other answer! We usually do average to above average and on occasion have won the trinkets given as prizes. As we all don’t need whatever it is, we usually give them away before we even leave the room! 

Life is just too too short to get worried about winning at trivia! 

• Like 3

It takes all the fun out of it when people cheat, and I don’t understand how people could feel good winning simply from cheating. 

On one cruise, DH and I played a 50s or 60s music trivia despite the fact that we weren’t alive in those decades. Our parents played that music a lot when we were growing up, and we liked it so thought we’d try. We had fun trying. Well at the end, the cruise staffer announced the winner would be the lowest score!! 🤣🤣We had it in the bag! Some grumbled, and some long time Princess cruisers thought it was funny and chatted with us after. Now this thread makes me wonder if the cruise staffer suspected a group may be cheating and plotted his twist on the game. 🤔 It was sure a surprise! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We don't let the cheaters bother us. I figure it's part of the on-board entertainment. While DW and I have at times joined teams, if our other activities don't let us attend regularly, we just show up when we can, form an ad-hoc team of 'irregulars' and enjoy.

Of course it helps to have a stiff drink beforehand and one during the session to loosen up the brain blockages. It also makes you enjoy the antics of the cheaters and the cheater-police (please take no offence, but you know who you are) a lot more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, ram1977 said:

I really wish I could name and shame the people who did it on our cruise but I don't know their names - all I can say is they were an older couple (maybe early 70s). Both had grey hair, his quite short and hers shoulder length and she was in a wheelchair. From what we learned from other cruisers they do sail out of San Pedro a lot - so if you're on a Princess cruise and you see them at trivia - look out!

I could name one person who we played with on a few rounds on one cruise, years ago.on  a Caribbean itinerary.   She didn't look up the answers, but she acutally made another team member cry because of a wrong answer.  She did write all of the questions down and took this paper with her, but didn't look things up during the game.  We stopped playing with this person after  the second or third game when she made someone cry because of a wrong answer.  Fast forward 7 years later and on our last cruise DH and I see "mean player"  recruiting for team members on the first game of the cruise.  Definitely she is one of the cheaters looking up answers.   What a shame that her enjoyment in life is winning (by cheating) those life changing prizes at Princess trivia

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:49 PM, Brian1713 said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if you knew they were cheating , then got their sheet to score....and they ended up with a 5 instead of 20. How would they justify it?

Hilarious I’d love to see that!!😂😂

• Haha 1

Yup, we’ve been on a number of Princess cruises and observed not only obvious cheating (people with handfuls of answer sheets) but super competitive. Come on folks, it’s a game and we’re on a beautiful ship. We just shake our heads and have a drink. 

Edited by JoRoy218
  • Like 4