Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

ram1977

45 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If the prizes were worth the trouble I might consider cheating a little myself. :classic_wink: Maybe that's why they don't care one way or the other? 

Wow! SMH...I'm gettting a clearer picture.🙄

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RNGALNG said:

Life is just too too short to get worried about winning at trivia! 

Playing Trivia can get really intense for some folks...but...cheating at Trivia is a sure way to get rough seas and rain on your cruise. For those who cheat, YOU have been warned...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We just like seeing how well we can do. We have never won. The only time I would have actually won I was just sitting by myself and answering the questions to myself. I was surprised to find I would have won. It would have been cool to actually win as a solo but it really didn't bother me. I really don't need the prize.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We just like seeing how well we can do. We have never won. The only time I would have actually won I was just sitting by myself and answering the questions to myself. I was surprised to find I would have won. It would have been cool to actually win as a solo but it really didn't bother me. I really don't need the prize.

I won evening music trivia in Crooner's once as a solo -- it remains one of my favourite cruise memories and definitely the best trivia win ever! 

Never ever would I cheat -- the whole fun of trivia is actually knowing the random stuff; I have a research degree so I don't need to win any prizes to validate my ability to look things up.  I always have my Kindle with me and I'm always worried people will think I'm cheating.  Last cruise, I would slip it down the side of the chair instead of putting it on the table because there was a nearby team who kept giving me the stinkeye. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Our first trivia win was accidental. DH and I happened to be playing Scrabble in the room. I started writing down the answers on a pad of paper. We switched our answers with another team and were surprised when we won.

• Like 2

We play a lot of trivia and really aren't in it to "win." just enjoy the activity.   We'll have questions we have had before on previous cruises and can't remember the answer, so frustrating (lol). What color is Yak milk comes to mind.  Most of the time, if we do win, we will give the "prize" to a little kid which makes their day.   But we do have a couple of traditions.  One is, if we are positively sure of an answer, we will say "You can take it to the bank."  The other is ITYS.  When there is a "disagreement" on an answer, the loser will "take an ITYS" which stands for "I told you so" duly noted on the back of a scratch sheet.  That is worth more than having the right answer--particularly if it is a spouse (lol).  And, yes, we see "cheaters" on just about every cruise be it a notebook or a hand-held device.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

We don’t play trivia on a cruise. We might sit and listen if it’s a “fun” trivia (TV, music, movies, geography) but don’t join a team and compete. It never seemed right to me, since we generally do a stream of back to back cruises and would stand a decent chance of encountering the same questions again. Then there’s the whole “trivia on a Princess ship” vibe, which, frankly, scares me a little. People are so competitive...for what?

This!!! 

• Like 3

Many years ago there was a couple from Vancouver.  They would attend morning trivia and he would claim a chair (if someone sat in it he would start and argument).  When he finally sat in his chair she would run and get him breakfast.  They would always allow others on their team but not allow others to play.  Only their answers counted.  They would give the cheap prizes as tips to waiters, etc. at end of trip.  They remained on the ship for days and days and days.

I heard thru the grapevine that we no longer see them as something major happened and they were asked to no longer travel on the cruise line.  I thought that was perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tucker in Texas said:

We play a lot of trivia and really aren't in it to "win." just enjoy the activity.   We'll have questions we have had before on previous cruises and can't remember the answer, so frustrating (lol). What color is Yak milk comes to mind.  Most of the time, if we do win, we will give the "prize" to a little kid which makes their day.   But we do have a couple of traditions.  One is, if we are positively sure of an answer, we will say "You can take it to the bank."  The other is ITYS.  When there is a "disagreement" on an answer, the loser will "take an ITYS" which stands for "I told you so" duly noted on the back of a scratch sheet.  That is worth more than having the right answer--particularly if it is a spouse (lol).  And, yes, we see "cheaters" on just about every cruise be it a notebook or a hand-held device.  

When we play with our team...most are ok with the wrong answer being written down after a discussion.  We go by the consensus of answers and then I don't want to hear "ITYS". When that happens I give over the duty of writing the answers to someone else.  It's a game, people!  It's not life and death!

25 minutes ago, suzyed said:

When we play with our team...most are ok with the wrong answer being written down after a discussion.  We go by the consensus of answers and then I don't want to hear "ITYS". When that happens I give over the duty of writing the answers to someone else.  It's a game, people!  It's not life and death!

I agree, it is a game for fun.  What has happened to us was that the person writhing down the answers puts down what they want and does not care what others on the team think.  What we do then is not play with them again.  We are in it for fun, to meet people and have a good time.

• Like 1

My wife and I enjoy playing Trivia, especially the geography, history and musicals themed ones. I've come to the conclusion that it is up to each Cruise Director's staff to design the questions. There may even be one assistant CD who is in charge of Trivia. Sometimes they pick from common questions, sometimes an assistant CD will be creative and design his/her own sets. I have seen them watch for smartphone usage, but this thread is the first I've heard of the books. I believe I have seen teams turn in a new set of answers written as they are being read.

On our last cruise, the assistant CD in charge of trivia came up with some very difficult questions to which no one knew the answer. So much so, people shouted at him. He got back by designing a very difficult World Leaders trivia at the end of the cruise. (He gave it to a junior assistant CD to host.) Questions included "Who became President of Zambia in 1991?" There were no US or Canadian leaders in it. We won, with 4 correct answers.

Edited by ahl
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm a dorky nerd. As such, I like NPR (National Public Radio for those of you not from the US and/or unfamiliar). I really enjoy their "game shows" on the weekends such as "Wait, Wait, don't Tell Me!" The shows sometimes have quizzes based on the past week's news. While many like to get away from the news while on vacation, it might be nice if some trivia questions were based on semi-recent news. It would make those notebooks obsolete. 

This may not seem very nice, but I can't help myself since people take this trivia so seriously.  Occasionally, I will decide to have a little fun with them.  I'll be on a team with my wife and daughter and when a seemingly simple questions comes up, like who was the 1st president of the United States?  I state in a loud whisper, to my team of course, "It's Elvis Presley!"; and a number of the super-serious players give me the stink-eye.  I think its pretty hilarious seeing them get worked up over nothing.   And then I have another drink.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ahl said:

My wife and I enjoy playing Trivia, especially the geography, history and musicals themed ones. I've come to the conclusion that it is up to each Cruise Director's staff to design the questions. There may even be one assistant CD who is in charge of Trivia. Sometimes they pick from common questions, sometimes an assistant CD will be creative and design his/her own sets. I have seen them watch for smartphone usage, but this thread is the first I've heard of the books. I believe I have seen teams turn in a new set of answers written as they are being read.

On our last cruise, the assistant CD in charge of trivia came up with some very difficult questions to which no one knew the answer. So much so, people shouted at him. He got back by designing a very difficult World Leaders trivia at the end of the cruise. (He gave it to a junior assistant CD to host.) Questions included "Who became President of Zambia in 1991?" There were no US or Canadian leaders in it. We won, with 4 correct answers.

That's great!!

On 9/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, suzyed said:

We go by consensus, too.  ITYS is rarely used and most of the time, it is wrong, too.  If it happens to be right, then never a harsh word is exchanged, just a "cat that has the cream" smile made.  The consensus has a far better record of being correct for sure.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, ahl said:

We have noticed that each assistant CD designs his/her own quizzes. They sometimes make a remark about the time it takes to research.

When a quiz-master prepare a quiz where the winning score was 4 out of 20, I feel he/she failed. The purpose of a trivia quiz is for people to enjoy the experience. If the questions are so obscure that the maximum score was 4, then all the participants would feel frustrated and not enjoy the quiz. In my opinion, a good quiz results in a winning score of 17 or 18. Then there would have been several questions that virtually everyone got right, making them feel good.

I do not play trivia.  However, I regard people who have to cheat at it just to win a cheap prize or to prove that they are smarter than the rest of us are pathetic fools.  I will also say that you do not need smarts to play trivia in the sense that being smart shows that you can solve problems.  You only need the ability to remember a bunch of totally useless facts.

DON

5 hours ago, Torence said:

This may not seem very nice, but I can't help myself since people take this trivia so seriously.  Occasionally, I will decide to have a little fun with them.  I'll be on a team with my wife and daughter and when a seemingly simple questions comes up, like who was the 1st president of the United States?  I state in a loud whisper, to my team of course, "It's Elvis Presley!"; and a number of the super-serious players give me the stink-eye.  I think its pretty hilarious seeing them get worked up over nothing.   And then I have another drink.

I was once on a team where one of the team members would say in a loud whisper a joke answer.

Problem was that one time the joke answer was the correct one and not the one our team had put down. The team that used the "joke" answer beat us by one point.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Torence said:

Sounds like you had a few before trivia also! Lol